F1 2019 Gets Tough Reviews for Virtual GP Series, but...

https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/16/was-f1s-virtual-grand-prix-series-a-success/

Here is the tough part:

Compared to equivalent series run by IndyCar, NASCAR, Formula E and others, F1 struggled to muster enthusiasm among its drivers. It never managed to half-fill its grid with current racers, peaking with eight for its Monaco and Azerbaijan rounds.

For this, some blamed the choice of game. This is ultimately a futile complaint: Formula 1 has an official game so it is unrealistic to expect they’re going to use anything else.

Nonetheless, the fact F1 2019 was used for the series appears to have been the reason why some drivers chose not to participate. Max Verstappen said as much. Romain Grosjean and Sebastian Vettel both procured simulators but entered other series instead.

But this part gives some optimism at the end:

F1 assumed there was a significant audience who wanted to watch F1 drivers racing against celebrities. In the end, much of the Virtual GP audience and many of the real F1 drivers ended up going elsewhere. There’s a lesson there.

But it would be a pity if F1 halted its experiment with virtual races. The new edition of F1 2020 is on its way and according to Russell its handling model is a significant improvement over the previous version. 

• Disagree 1

TV ratings tell a different story about how successful it was. I'll take that over some sweaty nerds opinion piece on racefans.

• Agree 1

@dwin20

I’m sorry but I feel you missed some very important facts. 

1: nascar ran their virtual series on iracing, not the official licensed video game “nascar heat 3”. 

2: Indy ran their virtual series on iracing too, since they have no officially licensed video game.

im sorry but I don’t believe in formula E and can’t say what they used for their virtual series. You are comparing apples to oranges. F1 used a “video game”. NASCAR & Indy car used a “simulation” program. It is not fair to compare a $65 a video game to a monthly paid sim program that probably cost far more a year to play then the $65 we pay for a video game.  Your comparison is not accurate at all in my opinion. Gas, cash, grass or ass, nobody rides for free! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Formula E used Rf2, there's no official Formula E game, but Rfactor 2(sandbox type sim) has the car, liveries and tracks as DLC.

I do think negative press might've pressured Codemasters into stepping up for 2020.

Edited by LChaves01
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LChaves01 said:

Formula E used Rf2, there's no official Formula E game, but Rfactor 2(sandbox type sim) has the car, liveries and tracks as DLC.

And races on that were nowhere as fun to watch as the one in F1 2019.

The Virtual GPs were succesfull and did their purpose. Sure there are things to improve as the broadcast and cameras were bad, but it wasn't as bad as people make it look.

Edited by emori

I think the point he was trying to make, that many seem to have missed, is REAL F1 drivers chose not to take part,

because the "official licenced F1" game drives like a dog (NOT A SIM) and is infested with multiplayer bugs, and makes many of the actual drivers avoid it.

We know Lando and Leclerc will drive any sim you put in front of them, see the hilarious events between Lando Leclerc and George Russle trying to drive trucks

in Euro Truck Simulator 2. 

6 hours ago, Getts0388 said:

@dwin20

I’m sorry but I feel you missed some very important facts. 

1: nascar ran their virtual series on iracing, not the official licensed video game “nascar heat 3”. 

2: Indy ran their virtual series on iracing too, since they have no officially licensed video game.

im sorry but I don’t believe in formula E and can’t say what they used for their virtual series. You are comparing apples to oranges. F1 used a “video game”. NASCAR & Indy car used a “sim game". It is not fair to compare a $65 a video game to a monthly paid sim program that probably cost far more a year to play then the $65 we pay for a video game.  Your comparison is not accurate at all in my opinion. Gas, cash, grass or ass, nobody rides for free! 

Fixed, now I can stand 100% behind this statement.:classic_biggrin: You hit right points with it. 👍

Well they used the PC version which feels alot better then the ps4. 

Personally as a F1 fan since the seventies and worked at Silverstone at F1 weekend's from 2001 to 2009 I didn't really care to watch celebrities Racing in our world .

We do it week in week out  .

I do know the Americans enjoyed watching the virtual F1. 

I do live stream myself but its only in case of accidents in leagues. 

I was shocked to see Daniel Appt sneaking and getting a sim racer to secretly stand in for him.

The actual F1 games on the ps4 are probably the most challenging on a wheel due to the low tyre physics  

I was hoping to see Lewis Hamilton sim race .as that definitely would have made a huge difference. 

But lewis has been quoted many times saying he doesn't like sim Racing. 

The F1 cars on assetto corsa are really good to drive. 

I do hope 1 day that codemasters will eventually get a decent tyre physics model. That will be a game changer. 

There is absolutely no way that you can please everybody.

I followed NASCAR's Pro Invitational and the Indycar virtual races, they used the best commercially available simulator platform and even there, during those races and after the races, people made comments like "video game" and other type of negative comments. Truth of the matter is that there will always be a layer of self proclaimed "fans" that cry and complain no matter what is presented to them and no matter how much effort you put in to please them. They will find something to complain about.

I personally enjoyed all the virtual races all across iRacing, rFactor, F1. It was a good entertainment value for me and at the end, that's what matters.

I'm not going to go into technical stuff, but there is a point where the driver has to take responsibility and make the most out of what's offered to him. They are there to entertain us, on some level, that's their job. I became a huge George Russell fan because of this. The guy improved a lot during the course of these races, worked hard.

These were not my opinions - but rather from the article and they were tough. My overall point however was that after all the negative statements, the focus changed to a very positive reference to the George Russell comment on handling in F1 2020. 

40 minutes ago, dwin20 said:

These were not my opinions - but rather from the article and they were tough. My overall point however was that after all the negative statements, the focus changed to a very positive reference to the George Russell comment on handling in F1 2020. 

I know that the article wasn't your opinion. I pointed out that people will moan and complain regardless of the quality of the end product. Yes, there are facts that you can't ignore, but there has to be a point where the drivers take the responsibility to make the races more professional looking, no matter what platform you use. Lando Norris laughing, joking and not taking thing seriously is highly unlikely the game's fault, him and Russell had the same opportunity to take things in a bit more serious manner. One achieved that, the other didn't. If you commit to a televised series such as Virtual GP, either take it a bit more serious, because your fans are watching, or don't commit at all.

To be honest I didn't like the broadcast as well but that's possibly because I played the game and there was not really anything new to see that I had not seen before. I've seen Lando Norris have fun with the game before and ok it was fun to watch the first GP but I really couldn't watch another GP. It highlights a bit how the camera work for broadcast needs a huge boost in development. Make it possible for professionals to freely use the camera angles. I don't know how TV works or how you broadcast a race but the pandemic was a missed opportunity to make virtual F1 shine.

Posted (edited)

Your reaction was pretty common dude from Belgium, the first race had a huge audience that kept getting smaller as time went on.

It may have been entertaining to some, but F1 aimed at a more carefree audience, they had aids on, locked setups(?), T-cam driving and tried attracting celebrities and youtubers to fill the grid, game already isn't the best sim around... and they still lowered the entry bar as much as possible.

Indycar and F-E on the other hand aimed to treat these races as serious as possible. 

F1 was never gonna please the more hardcore technical minded fan.

Which might've yielded good things for us, F1 2019 getting a lot of criticism from real drivers could've spurred Codemasters to do better and the FIA started considering a second game more focussed on realism.

Edited by LChaves01
  • Agree 1