DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Wheels Vs Controllers

Hello everyone,

I was in 2 leagues and made a request to simply have the leader boards show what device each participant was using.  This is all I am looking for,  just a wheel or controller icon next to each racers name.  I got all kinds of push back for this in the league discords.  People trying to say it doesn't make a difference etc.  But that's not the point, if it doesn't make a difference then whats the problem of making this known?  And yes the code masters site will show you this a little bit but only on a per sector basis. There is no way to see it in the full standings of a championship.

At the very least the difference between controller and wheel is as big a difference as choice of car and that is ALWAYS listed.  This needs to be added, its even the one of the first question asked when you register for these forums.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Hawk

• Like 1

The club-website needs several updates including this.
But I doubt it happens for this game.
Make suggestions for the next game in the subforum, more you really can't do, I guess.

• Agree 1

On 6/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, Hawkstream said:

At the very least the difference between controller and wheel is as big a difference as choice of car and that is ALWAYS listed.

Totally agree. That's what I always want to have displayed.
I will only ever play with a gamepad, partly because the PS5 controller is even better. However, it will not become a steering wheel, which is why it makes little sense to compare with steering wheel gamers.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It would be good to see who is using gamepad on the leaderboards.

In my experience using both wheel and gamepad, is that after I had tried the wheel and pedals with this game there was no going back. Wheel and pedals is a lot more immersive and for me is better!!

Edited by stein11
  • Like 1

Maybe Jon Armstrong (or one of the aliens) can do a timetrial vid of gamepad v wheel. 

Due to my disability (Dyspraxia), I find it impossible to co-ordinate my hands, eyes and feet enough to properly use wheels and pedals. I've used controllers since my PS1 days when I got very good at both Colin McRae Rally and Gran Turismo. It's what I've become used to and I'll always use them as it's what feels natural to me. I'll never be able to drive a real car, so this is as good as it'll ever get. I have recently discovered that the XBox One pad is far better in DiRT Rally 2.0 than a DS4, but, I'll still use the DS4 for shooters.

Either way, I don't think anyone using either should be considered as having an unfair advantage. Just practice till you're better!

Agreed on Leaderboards/Website, having an icon would be great.

As for the great debate however, I go over it a bit in this video but the tldw is that you can be fast with both so don't worry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Agreed on Leaderboards/Website, having an icon would be great.

As for the great debate however, I go over it a bit in this video but the tldw is that you can be fast with both so don't worry:

Great Video PJ, I didn't know you had already made one.

• Like 1

I used much better with keyboard instead of controller, but after 100 hours, i can beat "controllers" times with keyboard, even i was last when started. Now i have same story with wheel, i'm so bad, just need patience.

PJTierney can drive very well with controller. He had the setting for steering:
Sensitivity: 100
Linearity: 3
Deadzone: 2

I can drive very well with controller.  My setting is:
Linearity: 4-5
Deadzone: 3

The biggest mistake that so many make is because they set the deadzone way too high. Slight inaccuracies of 1-2% in the test screen are normal. In Rally, you never go straight.
A Gemapad has natural hardware feedback at 0% (even at 100%). The further away you get from that, the less you know how much you are steering.
The PS2 controller still had a deadzone in the hardware of about 12%. This was rightly removed later, because it makes precise control impossible.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PaulNbg said:

The PS2 controller still had a deadzone in the hardware of about 12%.

😮 

3 minutes ago, PaulNbg said:

PJTierney can drive very well with controller. He had the setting for steering:
Linearity: 3
Deadzone: 2

That Deadzone is only there because of stick drift in a relatively old Xbox One pad. If possible, it should be at zero.

I would like to take it a step further and have a icon for who is running a full hbox and clutch. I’m not the fastest driver by any means but when we run club championships in our Historic Sim club, I know I’m not going to beat someone who is running a sequential gearbox but am interested in racing against others who are running full clutch. 

4 hours ago, Matt555 said:

I know I’m not going to beat someone who is running a sequential gearbox

This is only true if you can't shift fast enough. Not saying being able to heel-toe at rally speeds is easy, but I do know that some of the absolute fastest drivers in this game will use an h-box because they can shift faster than the manual sequential will let them. Sequential adds a minor delay when you shift, and that delay varies between classes, but an hbox doesn't have any delay - it is limited by how fast you can slam it into the next gear.

In response to the OP. You can only really state wheel/controller on a per stage basis. Because it can change on a per stage basis for any individual racer.