Will Codemasters F1 games be playable on PS5 without having to buy a next gen version?

Title pretty much says it all, pre ordered F1 2020 Schumacher Edition for PS4 and I hope that Codies will update it to PS5 for those who already own the game.

Has anything been announced or rumors about this happening?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikavB said:

Title pretty much says it all, pre ordered F1 2020 Schumacher Edition for PS4 and I hope that Codies will update it to PS5 for those who already own the game.

Has anything been announced or rumors about this happening?

Dont think this is the case for playstation, as they are not gonna use the same sort of system xbox is using with smart delivery, so regardless of what codemasters does, it wont be available, for free at least, as an upgrade

They didn't announce a next gen version of F1 2020, I assume they are not making this game cross-gen and will wait for 2021 to release a improved version.

So it will depend on how backwards compatibility will be handled on the new consoles.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, THEHAMZAGAMER12 said:

Dont think this is the case for playstation, as they are not gonna use the same sort of system xbox is using with smart delivery, so regardless of what codemasters does, it wont be available, for free at least, as an upgrade

A Sony representative has recently stated that stated that the company has left it completely up to the publishers if their PS4 games will be freely upgraded to PS5. So it is up to Codemasters whether PS4 players will be able to get the hypothetical PS5 version at no additional cost. The original statement came out two days ago, but it is in Japanese.

Posted (edited)

Oh no! This gives me memories of that that time I bought a PS4 and codemasters did not release a version of F1 2014 for PS4. What if they don't even have F1 2021 on PS5? 

Please please codies!!!! Remember 2014 when almost everyone who had ac PS3 had already switched to PS4 and you released a PS3 version of the game?

Edited by BelgiumDude

1 hour ago, marioho said:

A Sony representative has recently stated that stated that the company has left it completely up to the publishers if their PS4 games will be freely upgraded to PS5. So it is up to Codemasters whether PS4 players will be able to get the hypothetical PS5 version at no additional cost. The original statement came out two days ago, but it is in Japanese.

Guess we will be f*ked by most devs then, it’s all about the money but never about their player base

@BarryBLis this something that is being looked into. Most people are going to buy the consoles at Christmas and don’t want to have to keep the old gen console to play the game

13 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

@BarryBLis this something that is being looked into. Most people are going to buy the consoles at Christmas and don’t want to have to keep the old gen console to play the game

Really? I'd put my money on most people jumping in the new generation later on the first year. There is a first-month buying craze indeed, but the thicker chunk of the player base I wouldn't think of being early adopters. Prices and game catalog being the main reasons.

I'd be happy with an optimized experience on the PS4 version running under backwards compatibility mode on the PS5 instead of having a full fledged F1 2020 PS5 version. Let Codemasters put their resources on building a PS5 F1 2021 from scratch instead. These things cost money.

57 minutes ago, marioho said:

Really? I'd put my money on most people jumping in the new generation later on the first year. There is a first-month buying craze indeed, but the thicker chunk of the player base I wouldn't think of being early adopters. Prices and game catalog being the main reasons.

I'd be happy with an optimized experience on the PS4 version running under backwards compatibility mode on the PS5 instead of having a full fledged F1 2020 PS5 version. Let Codemasters put their resources on building a PS5 F1 2021 from scratch instead. These things cost money.

So you will be able to play F1 2020 you bought on the PSN store on the PS5 am I correct? Because now I'm confused

39 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

So you will be able to play F1 2020 you bought on the PSN store on the PS5 am I correct? Because now I'm confused

Yes, that's what we are all safely assuming by this point.

1. The PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4 library. Meaning you will be able to play your PS4 games on your PS5 with no need to do any sort of tinkering. You just straight up boot the game and go have fun.

That's our baseline.

2. There is also a good probability of your PS4 games running better on the PS5. It is still that PS4 game, but maybe the server detected your new console and sent you an update with higher resolution textures or a chunk of code to drastically decrease your loading times, something simple but highly beneficial to the player's experience. Geez, maybe the virtually-no-loading-times will happen by default, with no need to anyone pushing any goddamn patch.

3. Finally, it is possible that Codemasters have a PS5 version of F1 2020 secretly baking in the oven. Not a "take our PS4 game code here, slap a handful of tweaks and ship it to the PS5 store", no. A actual PS5 version, taking full advantage of PS5's hardware. A F1 2020 to be sold with the PS5 game case that you won't be able to insert on your PS4 by virtue of it being a fundamentally different game.

I am fairly sure that "1" is a given and I am hoping that "2" will happen. But I do hope that "3" won't, as it takes money, human resources, and time to develop a game to a new platform. I'm hoping that Codemasters will let it go and allocate their resources to developing F1 2021 as a new-generation exclusive. This way we are given a 100% commitment F1 2020 with the bonus of it running well or even better on a PS5 and a 100% commitment F1 2021 to take full benefits of PS5 features instead of half baking F1 2020 and F1 2021 by splitting their limited resources. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, marioho said:

Yes, that's what we are all safely assuming by this point.

1. The PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4 library. Meaning you will be able to play your PS4 games on your PS5 with no need to do any sort of tinkering. You just straight up boot the game and go have fun.

That's our baseline.

2. There is also a good probability of your PS4 games running better on the PS5. It is still that PS4 game, but maybe the server detected your new console and sent you an update with higher resolution textures or a chunk of code to drastically decrease your loading times, something simple but highly beneficial to the player's experience. Geez, maybe the virtually-no-loading-times will happen by default, with no need to anyone pushing any goddamn patch.

3. Finally, it is possible that Codemasters have a PS5 version of F1 2020 secretly baking in the oven. Not a "take our PS4 game code here, slap a handful of tweaks and ship it to the PS5 store", no. A actual PS5 version, taking full advantage of PS5's hardware. A F1 2020 to be sold with the PS5 game case that you won't be able to insert on your PS4 by virtue of it being a fundamentally different game.

I am fairly sure that "1" is a given and I am hoping that "2" will happen. But I do hope that "3" won't, as it takes money, human resources, and time to develop a game to a new platform. I'm hoping that Codemasters will let it go and allocate their resources to developing F1 2021 as a new-generation exclusive. This way we are given a 100% commitment F1 2020 with the bonus of it running well or even better on a PS5 and a 100% commitment F1 2021 to take full benefits of PS5 features instead of half baking F1 2020 and F1 2021 by splitting their limited resources. 

When talking about backwards compatibility, you mean digital and disk games? 

14 minutes ago, MikavB said:

When talking about backwards compatibility, you mean digital and disk games? 

Given that Sony is releasing a digital-only PS5, I can't imagine the backwards compatibility not working on your digital digital library.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:09 PM, BelgiumDude said:

Oh no! This gives me memories of that that time I bought a PS4 and codemasters did not release a version of F1 2014 for PS4. What if they don't even have F1 2021 on PS5? 

Please please codies!!!! Remember 2014 when almost everyone who had ac PS3 had already switched to PS4 and you released a PS3 version of the game?

Don't worry both the XBox and PS 5aer both backwards compatible so0 all th ePS4 games will work with PS5. The only difference will b eis the Series X is compatible with all Xbox games whereas the PS5 will only be able to do PS4

• Like 1