Localization quality control

Some people say that "anything is better than nothing", but I feel that this isn't always the case.

Localization for Brazilian portuguese (PT-BR) has been pretty spotty in Codemaster games. Voice over is mostly decent, but UI text is messy. The worst offender is GRID (2019) which seems that it was done using Bing Translator and no knowledge whatsoever of racing or motorsports. Unfortunately the F1 games also has its share of problems and I was hoping that after 8 years they would solve the issues, but it already got a bad start with Xbox Store description.

There's text in the European portuguese instead of Brazilian (it has more changes than American English compared to British English), or even worse, swedish. That's a bad sign for what we can expect for the full game, showing lack of revision and basically no care at all.

JUiIgnL.jpg

European Portuguese instead of Brazilian, and...

JwQu7T9.jpg

Swedish in the Brazilian store. Nice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Perereca, hein?

I didn't even know they had PT-BR voice overs. How does all that F1 jargon plays out? The track is green, marbles, lay some rubber... Or ERS and DRS?

How tolerable is Jeff? Just kidding. I'm fond of him.

Edited by marioho
Slipped a cuss

Are the store description translations even provided by Codemasters? It's a bit weird to have Swedish translations when Swedish isn't supported.

Definitely send in examples of mistakes if possible, as this may put pressure on the party doing the translations... especially if a translation sounds like it's done on Bing 😛 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, UP100 said:

Are the store description translations even provided by Codemasters? It's a bit weird to have Swedish translations when Swedish isn't supported.

Definitely send in examples of mistakes if possible, as this may put pressure on the party doing the translations... especially if a translation sounds like it's done on Bing 😛 

I've done my fair share of product descriptions' translation when I was freelancing on the internet. Nothing so big as an game description on an online store, but yeah... Codemasters would be happy to know that they outsourced this aspect of the publishing to a Bing automated "oh no we are totally legit I am fluent in Esperanto" company.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 1:12 AM, marioho said:

Perereca, hein?

I didn't even know they had PT-BR voice overs. How does all that F1 jargon plays out? The track is green, marbles, lay some rubber... Or ERS and DRS?

How tolerable is Jeff? Just kidding. I'm fond of him.

Sometimes it's good, using words we are already used to hear from TV commentators, other times they use something different and you need to think a bit to understand what they meant.

It's not like F-1 is new here, with Fittipaldi, Piquet, Senna and others.