DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rally handbrake and transmission information

Didzis said:
AIPacino said:
From information I have, handbrake on Group B existed, like in any other car, but wasn't used because there was no disconnection mechanism on the transmission. That meant if they used the handbrake on hairpins, the engine would die. On the other hand tho, they could've still used the clutch to successfully do it I guess. Not sure why they didn't.
Wasn't it because when you blocked the rear wheels, they would block the fronts as well because of the 4WD? Did they have centre clutches?
100% centre differential caused the cars to stall when pulling the handbrake. Centre differentials with automatically adjusting torque distribution solved that problem though.

On 6/24/2015 at 6:19 PM, karik134 said:

Audi Sport Quattro S1 Pikes Peak: NO [H-shifter+clutch], steering wheel rotation 720 degrees
-introduced 1987
I found info that Walter Röhrl might have had some sort of clutch-switch on the gear-stick so that he could do left-foot braking all the time.

This is backed by https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-group-b-cars/post-group-b-evolutions/audi-sport-quattro-s1-e2-pikes-peak-1987/#audipp1

"6-speed manual transmission with Saxomat clutch activation on the gear lever" - it appears that there wasn't even a button, but the lever itself operated the clutch.

Nice collection on car data there thanks.  I found it interesting that some WRC drivers may have already tried lower than 540 degs. I would imagine it would help on gravel and snow stages.

Edited by bn880

On 7/1/2019 at 4:49 PM, danielofifi said:

Great info, thanks. But, didn't group A Subaru and Ford have a dogbox trasmission?

I've no idea. Need to see some footage from cockpit view where leg movements are visible too.

But if shift up was done without clutch and downshifts with the clutch then u can't simulate it like that in DR1.0/2.0, it's either with clutch or without. Game says Manual H-pattern on them (doesn't specify if it was dogbox).

Edited by karik134
addon info
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, dakoriki said:

This finnish video of harri toivonen says that the delta s4 had straight cut gears and no need for a clutch on up shifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJbF7KHrZw8

And this video shows that the delta s4 had a handbrake

https://youtu.be/ri9RHi7tx4Q?t=260

Yes handbrake maybe existed for parking etc purposes but was it actually usable when racing. To my knowledge pulling hb would have locked both front and rear axles.

I've driven Audi Sport Quattro S1 E2 in Assetto Corsa(official dlc car) and that car locks front and rear axles when I use hb.

Edited by karik134
more info

So I assume neither Group B rallycross cars nor Group B RWD cars had a useable handbrake? 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, danielofifi said:

So I assume neither Group B rallycross cars nor Group B RWD cars had a useable handbrake? 

Gr B rwd cars have handbrakes(well that BWM M1 didn't have at first), rwd cars only have one drive axle so there hb works. Not that u really need it that much/at all, can be very risky to use it.

I think gr b 4wd rallycross cars possibly had hb if they used diffs that allowed only rear axle to lock.

Edited by karik134
  • Thanks 1

Very useful topic in my view. But also, there´s another characteristic that should be taken into account: the turning radius. Speaking about Dirt Rally 2.0- take an R5 car and turn to full lock - the circle it describes is way too small, R5 cars don't turn that much (neither WRC cars) - so in this respect, if you drive an r5 car with 900 degrees of steering is actually more realistic if you don't turn the wheel past 540 or something closer (might be 450 for ex.) - than if you drive it with 540 because the car is turning way too much compared with reality.