Jump to content Jump to content

Hello and Some Questions

slowreflex

Hi,

I'm new here and haven't played a racing game since the original Mario Kart.  However, I watched a friend play DiRT Rally through Steam streaming (which is awesome btw) and he said how fun it was, so I bought it.  A few days in and I'm really enjoying it, even though I'm just playing with a keyboard!  I have a few questions though that I'm guessing can be answered fairly easily (or not at all).

First, I believe the tracks are all real(ish) and that they don't change right?  Will there be random real-time procedurally generated maps as well?  I think it could be pretty cool to play a track that's never been driven on before by anyone (especially in multiplayer).

Secondly, how will multiplayer work?  I'm assuming it will be through ghosting of your opponents, which would be pretty cool actually.

Thirdly, Gamepad or Wheel/Pedals?  From what I've heard, if you aren't buying one of the good wheels then a gamepad is better?  Obviously the immersion of a wheel/pedals sounds pretty awesome, but those wheels are really expensive!  I'm currently using a keyboard and holding down the A key a lot gets pretty tiring. :smile: 

Thanks.

-slowreflex
I would get a Logitech DFGT.  It's an amazing wheel for the price, has good force feedback, tons of buttons, and 900 degrees of rotation.  The pedals that come with it suck, but they work well enough till you can replace them. 

You really need a wheel and pedal setup to truly enjoy this game, skip the gamepad and save up for one!
I wouldn't say you can't enjoy it in a pad, which is what I use, but it is probably better on a wheel.

as for random tracks, probably pretty unlikely, it would require a lot of tech and resources to make it work. The focus now is on adding more locations, which are all real world locations and stages.

We don't know much about multiplayer yet, but you will probably be able to play at the same time as others as in previous dirt games, as ghosts. You probably will be able to do the asynchronous stuff as well, so you compete on the same stages, but don't have to be online at the same time as your friends.

hope that helps, and welcome to the forums and DiRT!
Get a wheel if you can, if not then a pad is still a lot better than keyboard.
Try to find a used Logitech Driving Force Gt, its a quite nice wheel for the price. Dont know where you live but should be pretty easy to find.
For example here in Finland a new xbox 360 cord-pad is just under 40€, and there's plenty of used Logitech DFGTs for sale for about 50€.
Thats not so expensive and you get alot more out of the game:smile: 
The lowest end wheel worth getting probably is the Logitech Formula Force EX/RX (red or blue rubber), i'm pretty sure you can get a used one for 15-20€. It's 200° and has FFB, and definately is better than a pad :) Just don't buy a Formula Force VB (black), that one does not have force feedback. Momo or Driving Force GT are a bit better options, but also more expensive, but still, you could find them used for not that much
  • 2 weeks later...
griev0r said:
I would get a Logitech DFGT.  It's an amazing wheel for the price, has good force feedback, tons of buttons, and 900 degrees of rotation.  The pedals that come with it suck, but they work well enough till you can replace them. 

You really need a wheel and pedal setup to truly enjoy this game, skip the gamepad and save up for one!
This guy knows what he say.

For an entry level, a Driving Force GT is a very decent and complete FFB wheel. I own one of them and Im pretty happy with it.
I've played DiRT Rally for 146 hrs so far, and that's mainly been with my wheel & pedals. However, I've spent around 30 hrs easy playing with a PS4 pad (for when I need a break from wheel, or I haven't time to set up my wheel & pedals), and it's one of the best games for pad support that I have ever played. You still get a great (but limited) feel in most areas of the physics. 

Undoubtedly, the wheel & pedals gives the most pure experience, however, the pad still feels pretty great when it's been fine-tuned in the advanced options. It makes it even better if you download a program called Input Mapper; that allows you to tune your settings even further. 

Also, regarding your experience with a keyboard, there's a guy called Snaky who puts in great times with a keyboard; better than a lot of wheel players. Anything is possible with practice, but it is ultimately down to your own personal preference. 

Archived