Sign in to follow this  

Slow in fast out = you lose! Good day sir!

So I’m a filthy wrc8 fan and really wanting to get into dirt but I’m baffled by the fast sections. Poland is bad but Australia is just nuts, not the slower sections, they’re awesome, but on Chandlers creek reverse you start with 3 or 4 fast 6 turns over severe bumps. I can survive by easing the acceleration and perhaps a touch of breaking but then I’m behind at the first checkpoint, if I drive like a suicidal lemming clinging to a jet powered pogo stick I inevitably bounce the wrong way and explode. I really really want to get into this game but these sections that force you to drive like a maniac with zero control over the car and just prey you don’t die are making it tough. What am I not getting? How do I keep my foot on the floor (as apparently the ai demands I do) and not bounce off into oblivion? Is it just memorizing every bump? I’m really hoping it’s something you learn to master but I don’t even know where to begin with this.

33 minutes ago, BillyDB said:

I don’t even know where to begin with this.

At the beginning! :classic_biggrin:

My first question(s) would be what car class are you driving and what AI level are you driving at? If this is your first foray into DiRT Rally, then I would suggest that you start in FWD cars and turn the AI level right down. If you jump into the fastest car classes at high AI level, then you are really jumping in at the deep end. 

The "Historic Championship" mode is pretty good for this, as you start in historic FWD cars, then progress to quicker classes (the other option is to try the career rally in one of the slower car classes). Get a feel for the pace note style and the handling of the cars. You can get away with a lot more in some classes than others!

Driver Assists is another key factor. I personally always start with most of the assists off, as the best control of the car in DiRT Rally come this way, but of course that will increase your learning curve. I usually start with automatic gears, then move to manual when I feel comfortable.

As an aside I personally find Poland the hardest environment in the game and, despite quite a lot of time with the game, I frequently end up in the trees a lot in Australia as well! Others may disagree, but I find there is a delicate balance between speed and caution in order to complete stages in good time. You do need to be absolutely pinned to beat the AI at the higher levels and the confidence to do that will only come with lots of practise. 

Also add to this to turn of hud as one glance away from the road is enough to put you backwards into a tree!

Thanks for the responses. I have started to feel like the fast sections are becoming more manageable, especially once I figured out the straight line breaking I even somehow got promoted to the pro division. Now I really have something to wine about!

Don't get complacent with set-ups - keep experimenting with them. And keep practicing. You will begin to achieve a zen-like state with fast sections over time and it just clicks into place.* That is where you become a full blown rally addict.

*NB I remain truly mediocre but still loves me the game

On 6/22/2020 at 6:18 PM, BillyDB said:

I can survive by easing the acceleration and perhaps a touch of breaking but then I’m behind at the first checkpoint, if I drive like a suicidal lemming clinging to a jet powered pogo stick I inevitably bounce the wrong way and explode.

That's a signature quote right there 😄 

• Like 1

@BillyDB I just put this up a few days ago, it might help out:

On top of that you have the official DiRT Rally School series:

Finally, a full thread of tips here:

it is a game. so while often the beginners advice is take it slow till you learn. my advice is the opposite. just practice the stages and push as hard as you can. you will crash but you will find your limit far quicker than slowly slowly. it is a game and you wont get hurt. good luck !