Additional tracks in F1 2020

Posted (edited)

According to this article on Racedpeartment, Codemasters won't include any possible replacement tracks in the 2020 game.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2020-any-additional-replacement-tracks-wont-be-included-in-new-game.186305/

So I was really wondering why that is the case? If we just forget possible licensing issues for a moment, technically that should be more than doable?

The tracks that is currently talked the most about are Mugello, Hockenheim, Algarve and Imola.

Hockenheim should be quite easy to take from F1 2019. Algarve and Imola are both included in PCars2, should also be not a real issue to convert them after the cooperation with SMS. Mugello would need to be redone, but tbh thats something you can expect from a full price and official title like F1 2020 is. You can't really tell me, that a whole studio like Codemasters is not able to come up with 2 or 3 tracks, while the modding community of other games is able to recreate tracks in shorter time and rarely worse quality than "official" tracks.

Edited by danort17
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

The game is of the season that would have been, not the season as it will be. In the F1 2020 game world, those tracks aren't on the calendar.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, danort17 said:

According to this article on Racedpeartment, Codemasters won't include any possible replacement tracks in the 2020 game.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2020-any-additional-replacement-tracks-wont-be-included-in-new-game.186305/

So I was really wondering why that is the case? If we just forget possible licensing issues for a moment, technically that should be more than doable?

The tracks that is currently talked the most about are Mugello, Hockenheim, Algarve and Imola.

Hockenheim should be quite easy to take from F1 2019. Algarve and Imola are both included in PCars2, should also be not a real issue to convert them after the cooperation with SMS. Mugello would need to be redone, but tbh thats something you can expect from a full price and official title like F1 2020 is. You can't really tell me, that a whole studio like Codemasters is not able to come up with 2 or 3 tracks, while the modding community of other games is able to recreate tracks in shorter time and rarely worse quality than "official" tracks.

Here is the problem, it is not just, it is more like JUST:classic_smile:

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Are we forgetting about money?

Developers like CM run on pre defined budgets with operational margins set years in advance. The amount of money they'll allocate to F1 2020 is set already and it includes both development and post-launch support. 

"Money" is an umbrella term too, mind you. Money is resources. Personal? Money. Time spent on the project? Money. Severs for online play? Money. Licensing for the tracks? Money.

I'd rather have the projected support, with patches, updates, and the eventual extra content than have they put on the effort to bring in tracks to accommodate for an extraordinary F1 season.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, XanderSJX said:

Here is the problem, it is not just, it is more like JUST:classic_smile:

But I WANT them in the game... :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Licensing is the obvious reason why they won't be included. So we can't forget about it.

Like everyone else has said, the game is licensed for the calendar that would have been so they would have to spend more to get these four tracks licensed too. It's not about how easy they are to add to the game. From a technical standpoint they would be very easy to add. (Hockenheim being the most glaringly easy one)

The only way I can see them doing that is if they released them as DLC. This would put towards covering the cost of licensing them. But I don't expect to see any of them included. It would be nice, and obviously I would be happy for them to be added. But realistically, it probably won't happen.

Edited by Liaveil
  • Agree 1

Didn't Lee Mather say that it takes a year of manpower for one person to put a new track into the game? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@danort17, the answer to your question is in the article itself.  Quoted from Lee: 

Speaking during an interview with GP Blog, Codemasters F1 Game Director Lee Mather had the following to say:

"Circuits are the most time intense element of the development, with each circuit taking the time equivalent of 1 year of development to create. Along with building the circuits, there’s also the AI to train, the camera placement to set-up."

"F1 2020 is based on the original 2020 season and we are delighted to include Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort. Unfortunately it is not possible to add new circuits to the revised 2020 season".

Technically, its anything but doable. The circuits take an almighty amount of time and we still don't even have a confirmed calendar yet. Simply wouldn't be possible.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The only doable thing I could see is being able to repeat some of the tracks in a 16 or 10 race season by making it possible to change the order of the tracks and allowing some to be chosen more than once.

• Agree 1

Just wondering about tracks like the Bahrain (almost) Oval circuit being added if it's used in real life.

When looking at Bahrain, that part of the track is already in the game with the curbs etc, just some differently placed walls and it could be done.

Who knows if it might be added, they already have a short version of Bahrain, so why not.

7 hours ago, Liaveil said:

Licensing is the obvious reason why they won't be included. So we can't forget about it.

Like everyone else has said, the game is licensed for the calendar that would have been so they would have to spend more to get these four tracks licensed too. It's not about how easy they are to add to the game. From a technical standpoint they would be very easy to add. (Hockenheim being the most glaringly easy one)

The only way I can see them doing that is if they released them as DLC. This would put towards covering the cost of licensing them. But I don't expect to see any of them included. It would be nice, and obviously I would be happy for them to be added. But realistically, it probably won't happen.

They would probably get the license to put the new tracks in the game as a part of their package of the circuit negotiation with Liberty.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just because CM has the F1 license it doesn't mean they can have all the cool stuff.
Possible replacements are not supposed to be in the calendar, so they might not be part of the license, that means CM has to pay extra money for new tracks.

• Disagree 1

17 hours ago, BarryBL said:

@danort17, the answer to your question is in the article itself.  Quoted from Lee: 

Speaking during an interview with GP Blog, Codemasters F1 Game Director Lee Mather had the following to say:

"Circuits are the most time intense element of the development, with each circuit taking the time equivalent of 1 year of development to create. Along with building the circuits, there’s also the AI to train, the camera placement to set-up."

"F1 2020 is based on the original 2020 season and we are delighted to include Hanoi Circuit and Circuit Zandvoort. Unfortunately it is not possible to add new circuits to the revised 2020 season".

Technically, its anything but doable. The circuits take an almighty amount of time and we still don't even have a confirmed calendar yet. Simply wouldn't be possible.

It is perfectly understood that no new circuits will arrive in this year's game. But would it be possible to see the circuits, if new ones were included this year (Algarve, Mugello, Imola ...) in next year's game?

17 hours ago, BarryBL said:

At least at Hockenheimring, they could use the track from previous games, they don't need to re-design the track.

• Like 1

Sometimes the answer is no. CM have been pretty adamant about it. Early in COVID I think I read that the best we could hope for is a quasi 2020 season that would include only the races that were on the original 22 tracks. So possibly a season update that had the double headers. 

No matter what we think, they have to allocate their resources as they feel best. I personally would rather see them give a functionality that lets the user customize the 10 and 16 race calendars to allow you to change the order of the races (even if it has no impact on the weather) and allow us to double some races in the season than have them add a single race track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm the same on this, I'd really love to have the extra tracks in as it would make it an AWESOME game, with 26/27 total tracks. I loved 2013 with their extra tracks DLC. I totally hear Mather about the issue of development time as well though; however if there is any way they could get even some of the extra tracks on, they should go for it.

For example, Imola was already on 2013 DLC, so they already have a copy of it to start with.

Nurburgring was also on 2013/2011, Turkey was on 2011, so they have a broad outline to begin with.

Bahrain outer is also really short and simple.

Portimao and Mugello would have to be done from scratch, or copied over from a different developer, which I get is difficult.

I hear that the main issue is coding AI. If this is the case, then why not make them ONLY available for online multiplayer, so only real people can race the tracks, and there is no ability to add AI? Not perfect, but if it allows them to do it in time, then why not?

Come on Codies lol! If there's any way to do it, even for just a couple of them and without AI, then please do it. Would be an awesome addition.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:08 AM, BarryBL said:

give the code to some moders, they'll have 3 done in a week.

Maybe the 'special edition' of F1 2021 could feature the full 2020 season with all the extra tracks, much like you could play the 2014 season's tracks and cars on F1 2015. Given the 2021 cars are going to be pretty much the 2020 cars anyway, that might give them more time to work on the extra circuits