Power unit grid penalty realism/fairness

As AI drivers only take single power unit penalties, unlike real F1 where they might take two, three or four to get a near-fresh power unit, would it be fairer if I did the same and just took one at a time? I need a new ICE, MGU-K and Turbo Charger, but if I take the new components in the same way the AI does, I'll be near the back for three races, rather than just the one as a real driver would be.

Do you take penalties in one go or individually?

You can take all three new parts in the same GP, bundled it all in a single massive penalty thus starting only one race at the back of the grid.

31 minutes ago, marioho said:

You can take all three new parts in the same GP, bundled it all in a single massive penalty thus starting only one race at the back of the grid.

I know you can do that, but in terms of fairness to the game, would it be better if I did what the AI does and take them one at a time?

Edited by WestHam66

3 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

I know you can do that, but in terms of fairness to the game, would it be better if I did what the AI does and take them one at a time?

Hmm I see. I've been away from the sport for long time so I can't say how these things play out on real F1, but seems to me that the AI often takes a bunch of heavy penalties at a time too? Just last race (USA) Hamilton took a 5 places penalty, Vettel and Leclerc 15 and there was someone with a 40 or 45 penalty. Unfortunately I don't know what caused them but it was definitely noteworthy.