Thinking of upgrading to a wheel for F1 2020

Anyone got any tips on how to get used to a wheel when switching from a pad?

I'm hoping to get a T300RS before the new game releases, probably second hand, unless anyone knows a cheap website for them, or someone is selling theirs cheap.

Practice, practice, practice and adjust everything what suits you. There is no secret formula, or good or bad tip.

7 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

Practice, practice, practice and adjust everything what suits you. There is no secret formula, or good or bad tip.

Yeah I mean I'm pretty decent on controller (hovering around 98-100 AI at the moment) but I feel like I've hit a wall and haven't got faster for a while, plus i want a more immersive experience for the new game

Well worth the money/effort imo, once you've used a wheel you'll never want to go back to a pad. Be warned though, it will take a lot of practice to get the hang of after having used a pad previously!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, joefane said:

I'm hoping to get a T300RS before the new game releases, probably second hand, unless anyone knows a cheap website for them, or someone is selling theirs cheap.

The T300 is a good start! If you have the extra money, i would advise to start with the T300 RS GT edition. This one comes with a better, solid 3 pedal set!

I did start my wheel use with that one and man man, i really did loved it, together with the F1 rim. So maybe that will be your next upgrade after getting used to the T300 Wheel.

IMG-20190317-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.01d086e9e99cbcf36ae3793b1b7e0eaa.jpeg

20200508_153455.jpg

Now a days i have upgraded to the Thrustmaster T-GT, but still using the Thrustmaster F1 add on rim.

Any futher question, let me know

Edited by GioProductions
text

A sturdy adjustable stand is just as important as the wheel. I skimped in this a little and wish I'd spent a bit more on one, any movement in the stand can really kill the experience.

8 hours ago, TheBradwick said:

A sturdy adjustable stand is just as important as the wheel. I skimped in this a little and wish I'd spent a bit more on one, any movement in the stand can really kill the experience.

That is very fine advice. For years that was also a problem for me, as the wheel would move towards me if I pulled it, which lead to a certain steering technique where I never pull or hang on the wheel. In short, drivers generally have a style of either pulling the wheel or pushing the wheel, the latter of which is much more rare, kind of like being left-handed. There's no study that would show any real performance difference between the styles though.

The bigger problem was the pedals. They weren't attached to anything, just trying to stay put with some rubber-aided friction. Well, they just don't all the time. Sometimes when having a moment and going hard on the throttle or brake, the pedals would move and shift to a 90 degree angle until the next long straight. While rallying the straight might never come, and both feet need to work simultaneously.. Over time I adapted and unconsciously developed this weird technique of grabbing the tips of the pedal(s) with my toes in tricky situations, especially when racing in the wet. Even though I have now had a proper fixed setup for a few years, I still haven't learned away from this.

I guess my point is that if you make compromises with the setup and adjust your driving to it, over time you are likely to develop habits that are very hard to learn out off.

Is there any word yet on whether Stadia is going to have wheel support on F1 2020? 

OP I use the Logitech G920 (Xbox)(G29 for PS4) and I find it very good. I'm sure there are much better wheels but for a start and given the price I feel it is a good option.

• Agree 1

Time time and more time. Switched to the wheel for 2019. TBH my career difficulty only went up a few points but where i really found time was in muliplayer. You can really throw the car in with a wheel

If anybody is having issues with moving wheels and pedals, I suggest saving money and building your own sim-rig. I built this myself all in for under 200 bucks. I got the seat out of a 08 Chevy Cruze sport model, it adjusts every which way. 80 bucks at the wreckers. Just make sure you get a seat with slider rails that are flat and equal on both sides. That way it's level when bolted to the wood. Some wood, screws, time and black paint and voila, you have yourself a strong rig. I can kick this thing and it doesn't move. I've since added 2 more pieces of wood to the outside of the wheel uprights making it immovable. It will be the best thing you ever build.

20200116_023346.jpg

20200116_023137.jpg

• Like 3

I’m in a similar position, I’ve been racing with a Logitech G29 but thinking of upgrading to a Fanatec setup for F1 2020. However I’m a little concerned about compatibility with PS5 (I currently play on the PS4) and I don’t want to spend loads of money on something that I might end up not being able to play with for very long. I’ve also read a few threads on here about Fanatec wheels not working properly with a PS4 which puts me off a little too. I’ll probably leave it a while until it is confirmed it will work with a PS5.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:57 PM, joefane said:

*Update*

Got myself a T300RS yesterday, pretty easy to get used to the wheel and learn the basics (applying throttle and brake, amount of turn needed on the wheel etc).

Just gotta increase my speed, managing to increase the difficulty by 1 or 2 every time I finish a 25% race so think I'm headed in the right direction.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Nice sim rig you've got there Mike5500. And what guitar is in that guitar case in pic 2? 😗

2 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Nice sim rig you've got there Mike5500. And what guitar is in that guitar case in pic 2? 😗

Thank you and it's a Simon and Patrick Songsmith. Nothing too fancy. I may get a Takamine for my next. I've only been playing/learning for a couple years. I'm a 90's kid so I play alot of Nirvana songs. Power chords are easier for me than bar chords.

20200630_182111.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:57 PM, joefane said:

Look up calibration settings for whatever wheel you use, either the manufacturer will have some recommendations or a YouTuber will have done a video.

Having the wheel set up right makes a big difference to your learning and initial enjoyment.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, Mike5500 said:

If anybody is having issues with moving wheels and pedals, I suggest saving money and building your own sim-rig. I built this myself all in for under 200 bucks. I got the seat out of a 08 Chevy Cruze sport model, it adjusts every which way. 80 bucks at the wreckers. Just make sure you get a seat with slider rails that are flat and equal on both sides. That way it's level when bolted to the wood. Some wood, screws, time and black paint and voila, you have yourself a strong rig. I can kick this thing and it doesn't move. I've since added 2 more pieces of wood to the outside of the wheel uprights making it immovable. It will be the best thing you ever build.

Love your rig.  I built one out of an old entertainment centre, with a leather-upholstered seat from a 1998 Suburban.  Seat belt and arm rest included, but the rails were missing so it wasn't adjustable.  Unfortunately, it took up too much space in the living room, so I converted it to this.  Folds down for storage and easy entry, and clamps down on the arms of my big comfy chair.  🙂

To @joefane, if you take what you know about inputs on the controller and use that exact logic on the wheel and pedals, you'll do fine.  If you're currently battling near 100 AI, you obviously know how to race.  Doing that on a wheel and pedals just takes practice to get used to the different motions.  After a while, muscle memory will set in and you'll wonder how you went so long without switching. 😉

20200526_200434.jpg

20200526_200456.jpg

20200526_200542.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDraken said:

Love your rig.  I built one out of an old entertainment centre, with a leather-upholstered seat from a 1998 Suburban.  Seat belt and arm rest included, but the rails were missing so it wasn't adjustable.  Unfortunately, it took up too much space in the living room, so I converted it to this.  Folds down for storage and easy entry, and clamps down on the arms of my big comfy chair.  🙂

To @joefane, if you take what you know about inputs on the controller and use that exact logic on the wheel and pedals, you'll do fine.  If you're currently battling near 100 AI, you obviously know how to race.  Doing that on a wheel and pedals just takes practice to get used to the different motions.  After a while, muscle memory will set in and you'll wonder how you went so long without switching. 😉

20200526_200434.jpg

20200526_200456.jpg

20200526_200542.jpg

11 out of 10 for creativity 👌

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrDraken said:

20200526_200434.jpg

20200526_200456.jpg

20200526_200542.jpg

Saw the first pic and thought you must be some kind of hobbit! Seriously though that is some fine work.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joefane said:

Saw the first pic and thought you must be some kind of hobbit! Seriously though that is some fine work.

LMAO. I also had a certain reaction upon seeing the first pic, but I kept thinking about the length of arms required to operate that.

I agree that's some impressive carpentry. I'd even suggest considering a patent. Looks good while being functional and it's very ecological in terms of materials used.

How much does it weight and do you use some kind of "friction mat" under it?

6 hours ago, janbonator said:

I agree that's some impressive carpentry. I'd even suggest considering a patent. Looks good while being functional and it's very ecological in terms of materials used.

Appreciate the kind words.   🙂

3 hours ago, janbonator said:

How much does it weight and do you use some kind of "friction mat" under it?

It's a little different now.  That was back when I had my G25 hooked up.  When I got my new wheel I rebuilt the base.  Instead of one big piece of plywood, it's now two thinner pieces with cross pieces at one end for the chair "feet" to hook onto.  Your own weight in the chair prevents the unit from moving forward.  There are two different cross pieces 2 inches apart, so the chair can be moved back for my taller friends.

The top is held tight by squishing down on the arms of the chair, which provides a "spring" that holds against the angled braces.  It wouldn't actually work if the chair had hard arms.  I suppose a piece of foam mounted to the wood would provide the spring it needs.  Hmmm... maybe a patent isn't such a bad idea.  :classic_cool:

The pedal base holds the other end secure.  And it now has no gear shift.  That went away when the G25 was replaced.  I use the right side of the top wood as a mouse pad.  Total weight is about 20 lbs.  Can be hung on a wall for storage.

It's mostly held in place by the chair sitting on one end, but the screws that hold it together stick out the bottom just a hair.  Enough to jab the floor and prevent any wiggling.  :classic_laugh:  I'd probably have to rethink that part before getting the patent.  I do have a mat that's supposed to go under my treadmill, but isn't.  That would work perfectly.  And save my floor.  🤣

Oh, and the piece of wood at the top is to hold my phone for Sim Dash.

• Like 1