Jump to content Jump to content

[IMPROVEMENT] Itineraries ( Rally schedule) + service options

Ever wonder how suddenly u get the light pod at your rallycar without having service? But mostly how you get a full light bar even if u crashed out the stage before and damaged your front?
I'm writing this suggestion to improve the rally to show that beside simulation handeling the itineraies are also importment for a rally game.

I'll be using the Monte Carlo rally as example, primarily because its simpler to understand how it works on an rally event.

Lets take for example leg 1 of the Monte Carlo rally, at the Friday there are 6 stages to compete. and 3x service.
To make it clear : Stage 1 + Stage 2 - Service - Stage 3 + Stage 4 - Service - Stage 5 + Stage 6 ( look at the itinerary of the Monte Carlo Rally below, Appendix 1)

The sun goes down at +/- 17:00 so u have to drive at least 1 stage in the twilight and one stage fully in the dark .
In that case you have to fit the light pod at the last stage, what gives you an tactical decision, will u drive Stage 5 maximum attack?
with the risk damage your light pod and have a disability at stage 6? or will you take it a little bit easier so u will drive stages steady.

This is an important part of the rally aspect. Its not always maximum attack and try to be as fast as possible, somethimes you have to do it a little bit more tactic.

Its not just the light pod, tires are also crucial for the same reason, do you have one stage with snow, and the other full tarmac, then u have to make a good solution, either go for full slicks or take the stutted tires, or perhaps take 2 stutted with you and fit them on the next stage ( should both be an option in the game)

Service options
In my opinion those are crucial parts for the rally carreer or service, I also have to admit that I do not really like the service area in Dirt Rally. to be honest, I never had an option in my real rallying to put my wheels at 90%,.... its new tires and wheels on it or not,
But perhaps more important what kind of tires? Its also fix the wheel hub or continue with it if you dont have a spare part with you. etc etc..  After a rally we will rebuild / repair the rallycar so its totally fresh for a new event. but now you have limitted of time so you usually replace parts to fix it instead of repairing it a little bit by little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdeMq7EriWo

As you can see in the Colin McRae 2005 rally game, u see that you have to check the coming stages, good, in the video above u see that the player have to watch the underground of the coming stages, and he adjust the tires, ride height ,springs anti rollbar, brakes, steering, gearbox  at it.

I think the setup settings in DiRT Rally are not bad only u have to know what you have to do, and perhaps have some more information about the stage.
What i really do miss is the options about the tires, Soft gravel tires, medium gravel tires, rough gravel tires, wet tires etc etc.

I think what Codemasters did in Colin McRae 2005 rally game is superb and should be back in DiRT Rally.

What do you think about it?

So to some up what I would like to see improve on DiRT Rally game:

Revamp: Service options / area
Revamp: Itenarary from the rallies
Revamp: Carreer mode : DiRT Ultimate rallyteam

Appendix 1

information

ITINERARY
 1st LEG - Monte-Carlo - Monte-Carlo (667.49 km)
Friday 23 January

GMT +1
07:00Start from Monte-Carlo
10:03SS1  Bif. D 5 / D 10 - Roquesteron22.89 km
10:46SS2  Saint Pierre - Entrevaux30.34 km
13:19SS3  Bif. D 5 / D 10 - Roquesteron22.89 km
14:02SS4  Saint Pierre - Entrevaux30.34 km
17:03SS5  Comps Castellane20.53 km
18:09SS6  Clumanc - Lambruisse14.75 km
21:30End of leg 1 in Monte-Carlo

2nd LEG - Monte-Carlo - Monte-Carlo (814.77 km)
Saturday 24 January

06:00  Start from Monte-Carlo
09:53SS7  Bif. D 1 / C 1 - Turriers24.12 km
11:06SS8  Sisteron - Thoard36.69 km
13:34SS9  Clumanc - Lambruisse14.75 km
15:07SS10  Comps - Castellane_________20.53 km
18:00SS11  Sisteron - Thoard36.69 km
22:40End of leg 2 in Monte-Carlo

3rd LEG - Monte-Carlo - Monte-Carlo (277.11 km)
Sunday 25 January

08:00Start from Monte-Carlo
09:08SS12  Sospel - La Bollene Vesubie32.72 km
10:03SS13  Loda - Luceram16.55 km
12:28SS14  Sospel - La Bollene Vesubie32.72 km
13:23SS15  Loda - Luceram16.55 km
15:15Finish of the rally in Monte-Carlo

MAP

I would like to see a bit more depth in this, especially scope to change it in custom events, but until there are more stages I don't see it as a personal priority as there is no potential for long rallies with several stages inbetween services.

I'm very interested in a more authentic rally itinerary.

It is something I'd like to be customisable in career mode. Current career mode is more akin to creating a season. In that regard I'd like to be able to specify the number of rallies I compete in along with the length of the rally, both in terms of the number of days and the number of stages per day (min 4, max 8). Days would probably need to be 1-3, a 3 day event would see a lot of duplication with the limited number of stages we have. Ultimately I'd really like to create a week long endurance type rally as well.

In terms of damage and servicing I've been wondering whether it would be more interesting to buy parts in advance and make decisions about changing them during a service, rather than what we currently have. Not sure whether this is more interesting in theory than in practice though.
I'm very interested in a more authentic rally itinerary.

In terms of damage and servicing I've been wondering whether it would be more interesting to buy parts in advance and make decisions about changing them during a service, rather than what we currently have. Not sure whether this is more interesting in theory than in practice though.
About the servicing and buying parts in advance is what my carreer mode idea the Ultimate DiRT rallyteam is also about, see: Revamp: Carreer mode : DiRT Ultimate rallyteam

So the idea is that you have to buy parts for your rallycar, to upgrade and maintenance it.
In that case u can create 2 kind of rallycars, for example again the Ford Fiesta R2, you can create a tarmac version of it with tarmac spec ( special suspension bigger rims etc etc.) and a Gravel spec.

Beside that it will make it more a character that u have to develop instead of just unlocking stuff by winning CR. that makes the carreer mode a little bit boring in mu opinion.

@ThierryNeuville 

I agree with everything you propose.  This is one complaint I have with the game, the menus and presentation lacks immersion, once in the game its totally different experience.  But pushing buttons through a series of menu items that are rather nondescript kills it.  Seeing so little information in a championship other than weather and upcoming stages lacks depth, there needs to be more.  Your ideas are a good start.  The presentation needs to be livened up to make you feel there and a part of something.  
I would like to see a bit more depth in this, especially scope to change it in custom events, but until there are more stages I don't see it as a personal priority as there is no potential for long rallies with several stages inbetween services.

Its not specially based on more rallies or so, u can do it also with 4 rallies each 10 stages , but what i try to say is to make it more authentic in a rally way, Codemasters is doing an amazing job in the authentic way of physics, only we must not forget where its all about in rallying, and that's driving as fast as possible and conquer the nature ( and thats not only gravel, tarmac, snow, rain or darkness. Its the combination of it.

Thats why its important for example the light pad issue, that u drive the stages before the fully night stage with your mind, and not maximum attack and with the attitude of oh next stage I got full light.

Its the combination of tactics that makes rallying so special.
Same is for the tires, I think about the Tires Codemasters did an amazing job in Colin McRae rally 2005 where you could choose the tires ( and rims adjust too) for a special stage, I remember the stages of UK where u have to choose, will i go for the gravel or intermediate tire and win at the first stage through the forest, or will i go for the full tarmac tires and win time at the end of the stage, but risk to crash out in the forrest.
Thats rally tactics, where u have to adjust your driving style at.

gfRally said:

@ThierryNeuville 

I agree with everything you propose.  This is one complaint I have with the game, the menus and presentation lacks immersion, once in the game its totally different experience.  But pushing buttons through a series of menu items that are rather nondescript kills it.  Seeing so little information in a championship other than weather and upcoming stages lacks depth, there needs to be more.  Your ideas are a good start.  The presentation needs to be livened up to make you feel there and a part of something.  

I Just added a video from Colin McRae Rally 2005 game where u can see the service area of a rally, in the video u can see directly how they set up the car before driving the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdeMq7EriWo

The plus points are that its really simple and easy to use for everyone.
You can change the type of tires.

Negative points compare to DiRT Rally is that in DiRT Rally u can fine tune the setup of your rallycar much better!
Only u do have to know what to do...

@ThierryNeuville 

Not really confident that any of our ideas will be implemented this late in development, I think we are a small minority who either liked the old way of presentation.  Since we are daydreaming.  I think that CM2 had the best of everything.  

https://youtu.be/dRHpaPL_nTo?t=2m13s

The entire presentation up to the start of the rally adds the atmosphere that I always thought should be in DR, including car setup (with current options though).  

Again Codies have taken a very different path and are probably never going to look back.  The F1 team has kept improving the presentation with their great animations.  Its very possible they just didn't have the budget to add the extra stuff, just like the in-house music instead of D2/D3 playlists, money is always part of an unfortunate equation.  

gfRally said:

@ThierryNeuville 

Not really confident that any of our ideas will be implemented this late in development, I think we are a small minority who either liked the old way of presentation.  Since we are daydreaming.  I think that CM2 had the best of everything.  

The entire presentation up to the start of the rally adds the atmosphere that I always thought should be in DR, including car setup (with current options though).  

Again Codies have taken a very different path and are probably never going to look back.  The F1 team has kept improving the presentation with their great animations.  Its very possible they just didn't have the budget to add the extra stuff, just like the in-house music instead of D2/D3 playlists, money is always part of an unfortunate equation.  

Yhea CM2 was the best, I really would love to see this again. this is a good example. :)
Neogeta said:
+1

Is there anything you would like to add @Neogeta ?
Not as such, think you are spot on in regards to the light pods and also implementing some sort of tyre choice option. For a game billing itself as a rally sim (and a good one overall to be fair) but by not giving you any tyre options we can agent assume you always have the 'perfect' tyre for the conditions. And anyone who follows rallying will know this is far from reflecting real rallying. I also agree that the rally itinerary needs to be more detailed with an overview of the upcoming days stages (with total mileage) plus then an individual stage overview.
Neogeta said:
Neogeta said:
+1

Is there anything you would like to add @Neogeta ?

I also agree that the rally itinerary needs to be more detailed with an overview of the upcoming days stages (with total mileage) plus then an individual stage overview.
Yhea I think they need to be more detailed indeed, What kind of tarmac or gravel, what will be the weather conditions etc etc.. all important for your tire and strategy choise
This is something i really want to see in this game have. Of course driving (physics, FFB etc.) is most important thing and quality of cars and stages, but because that seems to be a priority already i can say THIS would be a great way to add more immersive experience to highlight that great quality under it.

BIG YES!
TuliRally said:
This is something i really want to see in this game have. Of course driving (physics, FFB etc.) is most important thing and quality of cars and stages, but because that seems to be a priority already i can say THIS would be a great way to add more immersive experience to highlight that great quality under it.

BIG YES!

Its true that the quality of the cars and stages is the big priority, but i think a game mode is also very important!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I am hoping that the tire choice will be in the next game update ( Sweden) Specially that will give it more challenge when to take the studded tires or get the snow tires, I hope through this update we can get the choice at Greece for example to choose what gravel tires, or what tarmac tires. ( soft medium etc) so that will make u think twice how to attack the stage!
  • 3 weeks later...
rødelyn said:
i agree with most in your post. but i am pretty sure the tire thing has been up before and answered by devs as not possible in this game _ in short_... can't remember in what post though they answered this...

Hmm Strange, when I was in the Codemasters offcie at Southam I gained diffrent information ;-)
@KickUp can u bust or confirm the tire issue? Will there come an option after V1.0 where we can chose diffrent tires in the service? Softs, mediums, gravel tarmac wets, etc like for example in Colin McRae Rally 2005 game?

Archived