The car we see in the first race is never exactly like we saw in the reveal. CM does a fair job getting the changes into the game either right off or in the next patch. Since this is the livery for the year, it should and most certainly will be in the game. As will Bottas’s and Hamilton’s new helmets. And I doubt the team would agree with the depiction of it being a marketing ploy. 

I like the livery. It looks good and black suits Mercedes perfectly. A lot more black than silver Mercedes cars out there on the streets, or that's my perception of it anyways. The cause behind is good and just but somehow it still comes across as a bit of a whitewash. I guess I'm not convinced that painting cars and clothes to a different color would eradicate problems whose causes are deep and systemic.

2 hours ago, BiohazardBGR said:

You have to thanks Mercedes's virtue signaling for this. I'm hoping for an option to play as the silver arrows. No silver merc is like no red Ferrari for me. 

This won't happen sadly as mentioned above. The black one is their official 2020 livery not the silver one... And Liberty may not allow them to put it in anyway

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rindt70 said:

I think this is just ridiculous and is not needed.  There are better ways to fight againt racism than painting a car black.

Really stupid decision by Merc here, they didn't really think it through at all.

I'm a Ferrari fan and I love how the merc cars look, with the stunning silver paint and black gradients just masterful. I admit if I see a black Ferrari or any other color I will be furious and Enzo will be spinning in his grave :D. I sympathize with the merc fans that love their silver arrows. I still miss my glossy Rosso color of my Ferrari. Matt color is cool but just not the same 😞 

Edited by BiohazardBGR

@BelgiumDude mate, you put into words a feeling I had but hadn't pinned down yet.

Teams have sponsorship logos soiling otherwise beautiful liveries all the time and now that one slaps something different to both signal to a good cause and capitalize on the social zeitgeist, people lose their mind.

Call it ugly all you want, that's a matter of opinion and no way in hell I'll sweat to change anyone's mind on subjective matters like that. But to throw a tantrum and call for an alternative livery please! button because you find it preposterous or absurd for a team to change one iteration of their design because of a social cause?

Please, don't debase what I am saying. My point is, you have teams failing hard on a livery revamp all the freaking time and no one comes in here asking for a "can I please play with yesteryear's colors" and in those instances the change was for the worse exclusively for the head designer's bad taste. Is it only Mercedes' "bad taste" you're complaining about or is it cumulatively because (1) the new design was ugly and (2) it came for a "stupid" reason?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BiohazardBGR said:

I'm a Ferrari fan and I love how the merc cars look, with the stunning silver paint and black gradients just masterful. I admit if I see a black Ferrari or any other color I will be furious and Enzo will be spinning in his grave :D. I sympathize with the merc fans that love their silver arrows. I still miss my glossy Rosso color of my Ferrari. Matt color is cool but just not the same 😞 

If it wasn't for the hard work Codemasters would have to go into again I wished Ferrari opened their contract negotiations with Hamilton by showing their pledge to fight against racism and strive for more diversity with a black livery this Friday. A black livery that is even more black than the one of Mercedes. Vanta Black. Oooh I would want to see the look on your face. :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

If it wasn't for the hard work Codemasters would have to go into again I wished Ferrari opened their contract negotiations with Hamilton by showing their pledge to fight against racism and strive for more diversity with a black livery this Friday. A black livery that is even more black than the one of Mercedes. Vanta Black. Oooh I would want to see the look on your face. :classic_cool:

Well actually Hamilton should not complain he has the privilege to start in the best cars always and in his rookie season he has Maclaren no problem on the other hand you have pilots always start from the bottom like George Russell, Max, and Leclerc :D. Lewis and merc and f1 start a diversity program. I'm from pissss poor country Bulgaria and no one gives a shiaite about us who will help us get into F1 and have a Bulgarian GP a yes no one cus we are all white privileged I want a Slavic colored themed car 😄 for support for the Slav brothers in need hahaha. BTW changing the merc livery is super easy you just change the silver layer color to black :D. 

Edited by BiohazardBGR
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BiohazardBGR said:

Well actually Hamilton should not complain he has the privilege to start in the best cars always and in his rookie season he has Maclaren no problem on the other hand you have pilots always start from the bottom like George Russell, Max, and Leclerc :D. Lewis and merc and f1 start a diversity program. I'm from pissss poor country Bulgaria and no one gives a shiaite about us who will help us get into F1 and have a Bulgarian GP a yes no one cus we are all white privileged I want a Slavic colored themed car 😄 for support for the Slav brothers in need hahaha. BTW changing the merc livery is super easy you just change the silver layer color to black :D. 

Your point being...?

Ferraris should be red, except when Surtees won a title in a blue one. McLarens should be red and white but they haven't been in a while. And Mercs should be silver which is exactly why this years shouldn’t be. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, marioho said:

Your point being...?

My point is people are sick of politics in games movies and sport. 

Edited by BiohazardBGR
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Rindt70 said:

I think this is just ridiculous and is not needed.  There are better ways to fight againt racism than painting a car black.

Really stupid decision by Merc here, they didn't really think it through at all.

Bottom line: Their car, their cash investment, their choice.

Ferrari's black nose at Monza 2001 didn't ended terrorism either, but whatever makes the team united for a cause and show sympathy for tragedy struck people is worth it. If they feel good, good. It is visual communication and expression.

Off from the nonsense:
Black seems to fit very well to F1 cars throughout history..., and underused (temperature perhaps). Minardi 2001 was fire! Stoked to see the black mercedes at the game, the silver was becoming stale tbh.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BiohazardBGR said:

My point the world is bigger than the USA, for example where is the Hong kong independence support I don't see any?! 

To say that black people's struggle is an USA problem is disingenuous. If you're being honest about it, if you actually think that the whole BLM movement is an issue local to American society, I don't blame you for being so off the mark with Merc's decision: it really shows how some people have the privilege to be oblivious about a given minority strife. 

I am from a third world country with a poor performance on both HDI and Gini indexes. You'd think that with so much economic inequality people would have camaraderie to their fellow middle class peers but that is not true at all. Black people struggle is on a whole different level here too.

Merc has a black driver on one of their seats and it just happens that not only Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of this generation, he is one of the greatest ever. What are you suggesting? Don't be unfair, you gotta have at least an inkling of how hard it is to break the mold on such a high order of motorsports. By being not only porous but to resonate the zeitgeist like Mercedes is doing right now is without precedent. This whataboutism is nothing but tactless.  

Edit: @Czar90 back on topic... Right? 2019 Haas was a gem. I was disappointed with both their 2020's livery and Renault's. It is a relief to have another black car on the grid and I can't wait to see it live as 3D renders can deceive the eye.

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, marioho said:

To say that black people's struggle is an USA problem is disingenuous. If you're being honest about it, if you actually think that the whole BLM movement is an issue local to American society, I don't blame you for being so off the mark with Merc's decision: it really shows how some people have the privilege to be oblivious about a given minority strife. 

I am from a third world country with a poor performance on both HDI and Gini indexes. You'd think that with so much economic inequality people would have camaraderie to their fellow middle class peers but that is not true at all. Black people struggle is on a whole different level here too.

Merc has a black driver on one of their seats and it just happens that not only Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of this generation, he is one of the greatest ever. What are you suggesting? Don't be unfair, you gotta have at least an inkling of how hard it is to break the mold on such a high order of motorsports. By being not only porous but to resonate the zeitgeist like Mercedes is doing right now is without precedent. This whataboutism is nothing but tactless.  

Edit: @Czar90 back on topic... Right? 2019 Haas was a gem. I was disappointed with both their 2020's livery and Renault's. It is a relief to have another black car on the grid and I can't wait to see it live as 3D renders can deceive the eye.

So only the black people struggle right? But in the USA they are widely accepted, they dominate sports on all fronts. They have many successful musicians and artists also movie and tv stars. This is not the 60s we live in the most acceptable and progressive century I don't believe racism is an issue like 100 years ago. I personally don't judge people based on their skin. But here we are all connected with the f1 passion and we can all agree Lewis has success because people are not racist and see his talent, not his skin color. In my opinion people, in general, must be more good and compassionate we must not be judged how we look but what we do. Let me tell you I'm an artist in my profession never anyone I know care what is your skin color the only thing matters is how good you draw that's it 🙂 Back to the topic, we can all agree the grid this year is not the best looking like the 2020 year in general but I hope 2021 will have great looking cars I personally cant wait to see the new generation of f1  car designs.

Edited by BiohazardBGR
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

Oh come on! This is just ridiculous and I need to speak up. Why all of a sudden there should be optional liveries because there is a livery that takes a stance against racism?

I didn't see anyone commenting in the Williams livery topic that the new one should be optional. And now all of a sudden there should be options to change the official car livery so there is isn't a black car taking a stance against racism in your game? It's because of this **** they had to introduce the livery in the first place.

Really?  You're going to take it there?   Nobody here is saying they want the silver as an option because the black livery supports racism.  Stop trying to make this an issue it isnt.  If someone did say it, then I missed it or ignored it for the ignorance that post would include.  For the record I also did address the Williams livery as saying we should have both, but I doubt we will because of the sponsorship issues.  I also fully support the transition to the black livery for Mercedes based on their reasoning.  Couldn't support it more really, but that's not what we're here to discuss.

For most here, I suspect it's not about what the black livery stands for, it's simply about preference of liking the silver better especially if you're a Merc fan.  I'm not a Merc fan, so I couldn't care less.  I just like having options.  It gets a bit boring running the same livery for 10 seasons in career mode, or only have 10 liveries to choose from even in a single race mode.  It's refreshing to have alternate options.  I dont want them to create alternates just for the sake of having them if they aren't real, I want them to be real and yes I want the option to use them.   Personally, for me, when they typically issue the patch mid season that updates liveries, I want to be able to use the OLD and the NEW even if the changes are minor.  For example this year...  I want Renaults normal livery AND I want the ability to use their black one from testing.

I haven't seen one person say they dont want to use the black livery because of why it was created until you brought it up.    Personally, I hope Codies goes and adds the pride rainbow images to the cars and uniforms/helmets where applicable too.   To me, it's about customization and having options, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by petro1319
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

@BarryBL you might want to work your magic on some of these comments.

As a message to all, please be civil with your discussions. What started out as people reacting to Mercedes’ new livery turned sour very quickly. 

This isn’t me blocking the issue but this just isn’t the place for these kinds of discussions.

2 hours ago, cpayne32 said:

@BarryBL you might want to work your magic on some of these comments.

As a message to all, please be civil with your discussions. What started out as people reacting to Mercedes’ new livery turned sour very quickly. 

This isn’t me blocking the issue but this just isn’t the place for these kinds of discussions.

"Valterri, it's James...." 

F1 should be a meritocracy. It's not. Money talks, make a point about that. It tarnishes the sport (if it can still be classified as that).

Turbo hybrids are greener, but go against the ethos of The Formula (which has become so diluted that I'm not even sure it has lineage).

Let's go fully Tron and have done with it. Interactive race seat via Google Stadia.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, petro1319 said:

Really?  You're going to take it there?   Nobody here is saying they want the silver as an option because the black livery supports racism.  Stop trying to make this an issue it isnt.  If someone did say it, then I missed it or ignored it for the ignorance that post would include.  For the record I also did address the Williams livery as saying we should have both, but I doubt we will because of the sponsorship issues.  I also fully support the transition to the black livery for Mercedes based on their reasoning.  Couldn't support it more really, but that's not what we're here to discuss.

For most here, I suspect it's not about what the black livery stands for, it's simply about preference of liking the silver better especially if you're a Merc fan.  I'm not a Merc fan, so I couldn't care less.  I just like having options.  It gets a bit boring running the same livery for 10 seasons in career mode, or only have 10 liveries to choose from even in a single race mode.  It's refreshing to have alternate options.  I dont want them to create alternates just for the sake of having them if they aren't real, I want them to be real and yes I want the option to use them.   Personally, for me, when they typically issue the patch mid season that updates liveries, I want to be able to use the OLD and the NEW even if the changes are minor.  For example this year...  I want Renaults normal livery AND I want the ability to use their black one from testing.

I haven't seen one person say they dont want to use the black livery because of why it was created until you brought it up.    Personally, I hope Codies goes and adds the pride rainbow images to the cars and uniforms/helmets where applicable too.   To me, it's about customization and having options, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes I'm taking it there. An optional grey livery for Mercedes is the biggest nonsense and yes the reason behind it is because some people hate the message the black livery represents. It's not that difficult to identify racism when you see it. 

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, petro1319 said:

People argue about livers all the time. A great option will be your car to evolve with the upgrades like real life. Also when a team introduces alternative livery for some special GPs you should be able to use this livery in races. In the end, this is a game the more customization in better. I don't stand against the black merc I Just want the option to be able to play as the original silver revealed this year. Playing F1 2019 german or Monaco GP without the special liveries is not the same. Nascar games have the option to change the livery during the season.

10 hours ago, Rindt70 said:

what is ridiculous is that bs you are posting.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

My 2 cents...the BLM movement is great and kudos to Mercedes and Hamilton for supporting it and it is not just a US based issue, here in Australia the last 30+ deaths in police custody have been Aboriginal men! 

But what about the 50.2% of the population that is not proportionally represented in F1 (drivers wise, the teams have diversified with female engineers etc well in the last decade or so but there's still a long way to go), where is the push to make F1 accessible to female drivers? I can remember when I was a keen karter as a girl (and a pretty successful one which the boys I raced really hated!):classic_tongue:, I was sneered at regularly by other drivers, organizers, engineers and so on. Things like this were regularly said, girls can't race, best drop out now because girls can't take the physical strain of more powerful cars, car racing is not a girly thing or my personal fav all female racers are lesbians!:classic_laugh: 

Frankly people get too hung up on race when the biggest discrimination in F1 (and the world as a whole) is based on gender! Ok I'm heading back to the safety of the off-topic forum now haha:classic_biggrin:

Edited by KittyFit90
Formatting

1 hour ago, KiLLu12258 said:

what is ridiculous is that bs you are posting.

Look, you can call it what you want. It's not a BS point of view, you saying that is virtue signalling.

Sport will tire of these token gestures - because it's what they are. Because, attention span....ooh, shiny. Raising awareness, donating, makes you feel better about yourself and trying to project you give a **** about this week's chosen topic. 

No, you have to live this ****. Like clapping for the NHS, waste of ten weeks; might as well have all slapped each other on the back for ten weeks.

How you act - has a direct influence on how the NHS were able to deal with the first wave (and I say first wave). Staying home, observing protocol, washing hands, acting responsibly towards others. Plenty of people can be Covidiots and still clap. "What a great guy" Nope, maybe not, maybe he broke restrictions because of self, etc.

I digress, but the point is the same. You're not going to reach the individuals who have the mindset to be prejudiced against anyone else unless you tackle them directly and take action. 

How long before the PL drop the 'taking the knee' message? I reckon by the end of this domestic season if not sooner. And it won't have changed a thing. 

And yeah the majority of fair-minded people will accept this "message" for as long as it endures. I don't think it's a bad thing, but to let it go unchallenged and say "we have to do this", no I'm sorry, they don't. Also, some fair-minded people CAN say "I find all this a bit wide of the point". Individuals are nurtured, not brainwashed.

Lewis Hamilton drives the Mercedes because he is the best driver. He drives Mercedes because they have the best car. Let's not go into the ethics of German industry, because it can read like the legacy of the British Empire which some people want to seemingly power-wash from history and punish the people of the present for past wrongs.

We are all people. I believe in the individual and I believe in meritocracy. What we have right now is a mess, pretty far from that. 

Hi everyone,

It looks like this thread has taken a different direction to the OP here.

Please remember that, although you have every right to express yourself, please note the forum rules below, and please be civil and treat everyone with the respect they deserve. We are looking into adding the changes Mercedes have made.

• Agree 1

I'm not going to comment on the reasons behind the black livery, but only on the thing Codemasters should do, in my opinion. In the F1 games, we always race with the livery the teams use throughout the whole season. Special one race livery's were never included in the game and I don't see any reason for that to happen in the future. But with this Mercedes livery, we aren't talking about one race, we're talking about an entire season. So I don't understand why it is even debatted that there should be an option for us to change liveries. We weren't able to use the Red Bull camouflage liveries they've used in previous seasons. Why not? Because it isn't the livery they use during races. You won't see FIFA 21 using extra kits with BLM kits or other special kits that football teams use all the time. It makes no sense, cause you would invest valuable man hours to make a new livery or kit to just correspond with one race or match in an entire season. It's just not worth it and I'd rather have Codemasters use this time to develop the game even further. Even though the silver Mercedes livery is already done, I don't believe it deserves a place in the F1 2020 game.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Aef251 said:

Ferraris should be red, except when Surtees won a title in a blue one. McLarens should be red and white but they haven't been in a while. And Mercs should be silver which is exactly why this years shouldn’t be. 

The McLarens are in their original colour. Red and white might be their most iconic livery, but it was only ever for the Marlboro sponsorship. 

• Agree 1