Jump to content Jump to content

The Hardship Thread

FloatingGrass

So, DiRT Rally IS a hard game. It's easy to get frustrated with it, and easier to let off some steam.  I created this thread then for everyone to share their mistakes and annoyances on the stages, and for others to help out!

I'll start with Monte Carlo. I just can't go fast on these stages, and the grip is so inconsistent that in one hairpin I'm gripping to the floor like lice on a head, and on the next I'm sliding out like a baby on ice skates. Heck, I just lost a stage by 30 seconds and dropped to 4th in the championship for hitting a wall, sliding, and getting lodged in a snowbank.

What are your hardships?
Wales is the end of me, no matter what car, or what stage. The front-wheel-drives wander more than an annoying house fly, and I can't get the rear-wheel-drives to handle the crowned roads well enough to feel safe pushing through them. I just can't get the cars to grip the way I want it to there, ever. What doesn't help are the extra deep ditches which are also lined with trees, so if I go off, not only am I unable to dig myself out due to how deep the ditches are, there are trees which I can easily get stuck in between. At least Monte Carlo has the courtesy to instakill me if I fly over a snow bank!!
Only thing I hate about (mainly my mistake) is driving a completely clean stage, and about 100 meters before the finishline, I have to get a 15sec penalty because I hit a ditch which I can't get out of, but practice makes perfect, so far no real hardships other then that.
I don't care anymore if I don't make a clean stage. It's very stressful driving so close to the limit and restarting over and over. It's not fun for me. So my objective in the career is just collecting more cars and upgrades as possibile, just arriving safe at the finish line.
Of course there are some cars that I can push more, like Group A or the 2010s which are very predictable, very playable even with keyboard (I play KB in the night, the G25 is quite noisy).
If the game gets you anxiety and frustration is not a game anymore. Just find a way to enjoy it.
the very fact it isnt easy is what i enjoy about the game !

wanted for years for a challenging rally game. then out of the blue DiRT RALLY comes out. best surprise for years in gaming.

wales i adore. i would say Monaco is my Achilles heel as i havent practiced it much.
I am consistently having trouble with hairpins, or even worse, acute turns. In 4WD and FWD cars, I'm attempting to learn how to flip around with the e-brake. I've gotten it to work a number of times, but often I misjudge the speed and angle I should be at before e-braking, and either slide off the track or I brake too soon and inch my way around slowly. But I'm practicing a lot, and slowly improving I think.

I've learned my lesson to not bother with e-braking RWD cars.
rustyjaw said:
I am consistently having trouble with hairpins, or even worse, acute turns. In 4WD and FWD cars, I'm attempting to learn how to flip around with the e-brake. I've gotten it to work a number of times, but often I misjudge the speed and angle I should be at before e-braking, and either slide off the track or I brake too soon and inch my way around slowly. But I'm practicing a lot, and slowly improving I think.

I've learned my lesson to not bother with e-braking RWD cars.
be very careful with the handbrake, you just need to tap it to get your car into a slide, with 4WD cars you can just floor it in the corner and use the steering wheel to help you complete the slide, but with RWD you want to easily increase throttle in the corner, don't floor it, you'll spin out. At least, that is my experience, currently driving the Sierra Cosworth, and I thought is was terrible, but after a few tweaks, and some practice, hairpins are now childsplay, only thing I don't have yet is knowledge of the stages, I don't remember much, just bits and pieces, so I'll need some good practice in order to get somwhere.
Spokster said:
be very careful with the handbrake, you just need to tap it to get your car into a slide, with 4WD cars you can just floor it in the corner and use the steering wheel to help you complete the slide, but with RWD you want to easily increase throttle in the corner, don't floor it, you'll spin out. At least, that is my experience, currently driving the Sierra Cosworth, and I thought is was terrible, but after a few tweaks, and some practice, hairpins are now childsplay, only thing I don't have yet is knowledge of the stages, I don't remember much, just bits and pieces, so I'll need some good practice in order to get somwhere.
Yeah, being familiar with the terrain is the single biggest way to improve, in my experience. Of course, once you're familiar, you then need to pay attention to the smaller stuff.

I'm getting reasonably familiar with the dynamics of the e-brake. I think what's happening is that my brain sort of gets overloaded as the corner approaches, and the number of variables I need to attend to is too much (braking/speed, corner approach, car angle, and then timing of the e-brake itself)...and I make bad decisions as a result. That said, I have executed a number of effective e-brake acute turns...I'm not just consistent yet.
Believe it, or not but rallyig is more about being consistent than going flat out all the time. Go steady for Your first season, then try to go a little bit faster next. Remember that there are many, many proffesional drivers that never finished top 3 in their lifes. Once You get into that mode (and drop arcade games approach where You need to win in order to be satisfied with Your session) You will get the most out of this game.
Oh boy...

So, since the G25 clamps were designed by a moron, I got a wooden plank, attatched the G25 to it, and then attatched the plank to my desk with some plastic clamps from my old wheel. Turns out, the clamps were very bad quality, and both have snapped off. Worse yet, minutes before the update ended! :neutral: 
SamRWD said:
Believe it, or not but rallyig is more about being consistent than going flat out all the time. Go steady for Your first season, then try to go a little bit faster next. Remember that there are many, many proffesional drivers that never finished top 3 in their lifes. Once You get into that mode (and drop arcade games approach where You need to win in order to be satisfied with Your session) You will get the most out of this game.
Spot on sir!
SamRWD said:
This is also what I'm aiming for! However sometimes I can't resist restarting a stage because of a really stupid mistake.. But I'm learning...

I've never finished 1st on a stage ever, feel kinda bad about it, but I do get top tier at the end. Because consistently being 3rd or 4th gives you a higher place (3rd and 2nd). But I don't really think I earn it sometimes :P... I'm now almost in master difficulty, while I would rather be in a lower tier since I don't feel I belong there. It is to easy to get to higher tier.

I'm having most difficulty with wales rally. and the greek one with all those hairpins! 
rustyjaw said:
I'm getting reasonably familiar with the dynamics of the e-brake. I think what's happening is that my brain sort of gets overloaded as the corner approaches, and the number of variables I need to attend to is too much (braking/speed, corner approach, car angle, and then timing of the e-brake itself)...and I make bad decisions as a result. That said, I have executed a number of effective e-brake acute turns...I'm not just consistent yet.
Your problem is that you are trying too hard, or, over driving the car. Take a deep breath before each race and relax, your lines will become more fluid and your times will improve.

The quickest way to find the best time to apply the handbrake is to go into a custom race and intentionally over shoot each hairpin before turning and then jamming on the brake, though the truth is, you don't really need the e-brake to get around most hairpins.
My 2 biggest hardships are:
- the corners over jumps on Wales and Greece. I manage to drive well 6:30 through a 7 minute stage, and then silly me forgets there's a left/right 3 or 4 over a jump, so I go in with the normal 3/4 turn speed only to find myself in the air for a second and then deep in the ravine :)
- tarmac in general. There's a very fine line between drifting through a 2/1/hairpin in a smooth way and totally spinning your car, whereas sliding on gravel seems much more controlled to me

I agree about Skiddy's advice to take a deep breath and relax before each stage, but I don't fully agree with the "take it slow at first" advice from earlier posts. I'm a total newbie when it comes to sims, this is the first time when I drive with all assists off and with a bonnet/dash cam, but my approach is to try and push hard through each corner and restart each stage multiple times. This allows me to learn each stage really well (it's easier to repeat something 20 times in 1 hour rather than 10 times at a slow pace over days/weeks) and to gradually master the aggressive technique which is needed in rally racing. Yes, I can't win rallies yet, but I finished each championship in either 2nd or 3rd position, I'm on master difficulty and I'm enjoying flying my group B car off of cliffs and driving it into ravines. I feel like driving slow and not understanding the limit of each corner and of my current skill level would put me on a much slower learning curve as opposed to driving at the limit of my skills and restarting each stage multiple times. Yes, it can weigh heavy on my nerves sometimes, but I don't think people who play this game are looking for a relaxing arcade which they can win while watching the news.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion :)
My troubles are hairpins.... just cant seem to get them right using a Grp A Scoob.
Also I hate Greece. there just seems to be rock/wall/tree/ whatever... waiting for me whenever I go just a bit too wide.. and it has lots of hairpins :neutral: 
Oh  and jumping out of gear... I use a G27 with Manual H and every now and again it jumps out of gear... is it supposed to?
NLT said:
I don't fully agree with the "take it slow at first" advice from earlier posts. I'm a total newbie when it comes to sims, this is the first time when I drive with all assists off and with a bonnet/dash cam, but my approach is to try and push hard through each corner and restart each stage multiple times. This allows me to learn each stage really well (it's easier to repeat something 20 times in 1 hour rather than 10 times at a slow pace over days/weeks) and to gradually master the aggressive technique which is needed in rally racing.
This is the difference between Colin McRae and Richard Burns's approach to rallying. Colin's was 'If in doubt, flat out' and Richard's was 'Take it slow at first'. Both had their particular approach built into their games philosophy. Colin wasn't that big on testing set ups to find the fastest (that was done by Carlos Sainz), he just drove whatever he was given, as fast as possible, Richard was all about the technicalities. You can see the difference in set up menus, CMR/DiRT is simple, RBR is complex.

Thinking about it, those philosophies may be the biggest cause of disagreements between both camps. RBR fans are looking at the game from Richards point of view, but the game is written by people who are share Colins.
mpg200 said:
My troubles are hairpins.... just cant seem to get them right using a Grp A Scoob.
Also I hate Greece. there just seems to be rock/wall/tree/ whatever... waiting for me whenever I go just a bit too wide.. and it has lots of hairpins :neutral: 
Oh  and jumping out of gear... I use a G27 with Manual H and every now and again it jumps out of gear... is it supposed to?
Change your Center Diff Ratio's, try 40/60 front/rear instead of the stock one
NLT said:
I don't fully agree with the "take it slow at first" advice from earlier posts. I'm a total newbie when it comes to sims, this is the first time when I drive with all assists off and with a bonnet/dash cam, but my approach is to try and push hard through each corner and restart each stage multiple times. This allows me to learn each stage really well (it's easier to repeat something 20 times in 1 hour rather than 10 times at a slow pace over days/weeks) and to gradually master the aggressive technique which is needed in rally racing.
This is the difference between Colin McRae and Richard Burns's approach to rallying. Colin's was 'If in doubt, flat out' and Richard's was 'Take it slow at first'. Both had their particular approach built into their games philosophy. Colin wasn't that big on testing set ups to find the fastest (that was done by Carlos Sainz), he just drove whatever he was given, as fast as possible, Richard was all about the technicalities. You can see the difference in set up menus, CMR/DiRT is simple, RBR is complex.

Thinking about it, those philosophies may be the biggest cause of disagreements between both camps. RBR fans are looking at the game from Richards point of view, but the game is written by people who are share Colins.

Thanks for the glimpse into the drivers' philosophies Skiddy, much appreciated. I'm definitely on Colin's side of "If in doubt, flat out' :)
NLT said:
Thanks for the glimpse into the drivers' philosophies Skiddy, much appreciated. I'm definitely on Colin's side of "If in doubt, flat out' :)
As am I!
Yeah but the difference is that it's actually working out for you :)))
Getting gradually better with RWD cars now, just got my Lancia 037 Evo 2 upgraded fully, drives a lot better now, before it had any upgrades I couldn't get higher than fourth place in championship, but now able to make second and first place, pretty happy it wasn't just my lack of skill, but yeah, being consistent is more important then going flat out and taking risks, you'll have a bigger chance of landing in a ditch or even worse, get terminal damage, so I'm working on that and I'm doing better, but some hairpins especially downhill ones, are my Achilles heel, but this game is so much fun though, I'm glad Codemasters went back to their roots, Dirt 1, 2 & 3 were fun, but hardly a challenge. I'm actually getting a racing simulator setup going next week specially for this game, can't wait to put it together! :smiley: 

Archived