Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Weber and Butler

With F1 2020 almost upon us and with confirmation that Devon and Lucas will not be joining us for the new career I thought I'd ask how peoples experiences of them were in F1 2019?

In my career Butler won the F2 title but never really did too much in F1. He won a race for Renault early on but spent 7 seasons in Toro Rosso, coming 4th one season but being outperformed by Bottas during his last two seasons.

Weber was a demon in my career. He finished 3rd in F2. In f1 he signed for Alfa Romeo and dominated Raikonnen before moving to Haas and eventually McLaren. He helped develop McLaren to the best team and dominated teamate Lewis Hamilton to win the championship.

After a few sessons with McLaren he went to Ferrari to partner reigning world champion Charles Leclerc. Over 2 seasons he got the better of Leclerc but neither driver won the championship as I had developed Williams enough to win.

After finishing runner up to my Williams Weber went to Mercedes and was partnered by Verstappen. He dominated Verstappen over the season but finished runner up to me in the Renault. I moved to Mercedes to join him in the last season and we had a lovely battle for the championship which I just nicked.

I thought the two were an excellent feature in career mode. Really added some depth for me. What did everyone else think? Will you miss them this year?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I honestly didn't like having them in as the actual story content basically stopped once you get into F1. I'd rather have the full grid of actual drivers so once I completed the F2 part, I restarted career and skipped F2 to "remove" Butler and Weber from the full career.

Edited by Worntoathread

A few people have said this. For me the further story wrote itself. Kind of funny for me that Butler never did much in F1 after all his talk 😉

• Like 1

I didn’t mind the two of them, just the interview questions got old. Season 5 and I kept hearing about my old teammate.

But I did like that their existence would shake up the grid a bit.

• Agree 1

Yes in season 10 I kept getting asked about how it felt to share the podium with my old f2 teamate. We were bitter championship rivals and had been for previous 4 seasons lol.

I didn’t like them, so I don’t mind them not making it to the 2020 game. 
I actually skipped F2 in the career mode, just to not have them in it. I also stopped driver transfers, as soon as the added that option.
To be fair Championship mode was where I spent most of my time. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Worntoathread said:

I honestly didn't like having them in as the actual story content basically stopped once you get into F1. I'd rather have the full grid of actual drivers so once I completed the F2 part, I restarted career and skipped F2 to "remove" Butler and Weber from the full career.

I did not know that was possible. Wish I had done that.

They were fine but never fine enough to justify removing two actual drivers from the grid. Worse even when one of them removed Sainz.

As far as the F2 segment was, I thought the acting and characterisation was great. Beyond F2, I found them pointless.

I’m only on my second season and I’ve not really had much to do with them yet, outside of the F2 skits. Weber is in a Williams, Butler in a Torro Rosso, and neither of them are picking up points with any regularity. I’ve moved on from Alfa Romeo to Ferrari and am in a three way championship battle with Verstappen and my team mate Leclerc. Kind of forget they are there to be honest. I guess maybe at some point they will move to better teams and compete a bit more.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I've done four seasons but neither of them have been that great.

Butler started at Toro Rosso and did okay in the first season. Nothing spectacular but he was solid. He moved to McLaren at the start of season two but was pretty poor. 

Weber has been at Williams from the start. He did about as well as you'd expect in the first season, but got slightly better as the seasons went on. He had some decent results in the middle of season four when their car was upgraded more. They slipped down the performance ranking nearer the end of the year and his results got worse.

I was pretty disappointed with how they did. I thought one of them was going to set F1 alight!

Edited by WestHam66
  • Agree 1

The idea of them was pretty good, and I hope the new rivalry system makes it more interesting. I had high hopes for he Senna-Prost rivalry, but that was not quite what I was hoping for.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Perhaps I was a bit lucky that my Weber got signed for top teams. My last season battle with him in the Mercedes was epic. Butler never got promoted from Toro Rosso despite finishing as high as fourth with them. Still think they were a great addition but perhaps could have been implemented better.

Edited by 1henryw

4 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

Perhaps I was a bit lucky that my Weber got signed for top teams. My last season battle with him in the Mercedes was epic. Butler never got promoted from Toro Rosso despite finishing as high as fourth with them. Still think they were a great addition but perhaps could have been implemented better.

When Weber stayed with Williams year after year I thought the game would be programmed to jump them and him up the grid so he could go up against me. I think the upgrade which reduced the number of driver moves came at the end of my first season, so he never got the chance to move around like some other players saw.

Weber was ridiculously overpowered in my career. He moved to Mclaren, and I moved to Mercedes in season 2 expecting to challenge for the title...

But no, Mclaren decide to upgrade ridiculously fast to the point that they are dominant on the level of the 1988 Mclaren (will get a photo of the upgrading next time I'm on the game). And yes, he drove like Senna that season winning more than half the races.

• Agree 1

In my career both of them won a championship Butler won it with torro rosso 2 times and Weber won the championship with redbull.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, WestHam66 said:

When Weber stayed with Williams year after year I thought the game would be programmed to jump them and him up the grid so he could go up against me. I think the upgrade which reduced the number of driver moves came at the end of my first season, so he never got the chance to move around like some other players saw.

Yes the only way I saw them move was when I changed teams triggering changes. I changed teams 4 times in last few seasons.

7 hours ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

I didn’t like them, so I don’t mind them not making it to the 2020 game. 
I actually skipped F2 in the career mode, just to not have them in it. I also stopped driver transfers, as soon as the added that option.
To be fair Championship mode was where I spent most of my time. 

It’s Championship mode all the way for me.

• Agree 1

I restarted my career after one season in F1 because there was no storyline anymore for Butler and Weber. 

8 hours ago, Aef251 said:

and I hope the new rivalry system makes it more interesting.

What new rivalry system do you mean?

2 hours ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

What new rivalry system do you mean?

In an interview it was said that through your responses to interview questions it will be possible to build a rivalry with another drver rather than selecting a driver to beat. 

• Agree 1

I found them quite often fighting at the top. No doubt helped by me going to Ferrari from F2, so with Butler in the Mercedes and Weber in the Red Bull they were always around the top. Butler faded around season 5 to racing point but Weber stayed at Red Bull for almost the entire career.

8 hours ago, Aef251 said:

In an interview it was said that through your responses to interview questions it will be possible to build a rivalry with another drver rather than selecting a driver to beat. 

Thanks. I must have missed that. Sounds interesting.