Jump to content Jump to content

Unavoidable clutch engagement into every gear on Sequential Manual transmission.

bakedpotato486

Using sequential manual transmission, the player has to wait for the clutch (for which there is no control... yet?) to engage every shift prior to shifting again. So, as it stands, in order to reverse the player has to:
  1. Shift down into neutral
  2. wait for clutch
  3. Shift down into reverse
  4. wait for clutch
  5. Reverse as necessary
  6. Shift up into neutral
  7. wait for clutch
  8. Shift up into first
  9. wait for clutch
  10. Continue rallying.
This is merely the worst of it. It becomes an issue, as well, as the player brakes heavily from a high gear and needs to wait through every gear until reaching the appropriate gear for the slow turn, having already lost any momentum to successfully maneuver the car through it.

All I'm asking is to be able to interrupt the clutch engagement with every press of the shifter. I thoroughly understand that Dirt Rally is trying to be a realistic simulation (which I wholeheartedly support!), but I just don't feel this is the sort of "challenge" that comes with realism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but please don't go PCMR and say I need to spend hundreds on a H-pattern setup in order to enjoy an otherwise enjoyable game.
H pattern is useless with a clutch as the car randomly drops out of gears and the clutch has a microscopic window on engagement so that its almost impossible to avoid mis shifts, if you mis shift you must return to neutral and try again:

In essence gearing and clutch is not working very well in this game at all.
  • 2 weeks later...
Waiting for the clutch for every gear when you want to go from 6th to 2nd gear or so is not realistic at all actually. When I use an h-shifter I skip gears so I can go from 6th to 2nd gear with one use of the clutch (Usually I skip 1 gear, so 6th to 4th, 4th to 2nd).

there should be a system where the game would start a shifting procedure where, when you shift again before the previous shift is complete, the game should cancel the previous engagement and overrule it with the new shift. That way you can go from 6th to 2nd essentially only using the shifting procedure of 3rd to 2nd and skipping te rest (simulating shifting from 6th to 2nd gear in one go scenario).
I phrased it a little differently for a suggestion post I submitted, (pressing a shift button would interrupt any clutch action to complete the shift) but yeah, you've got the idea, Areyouben.Areyouben said:
Waiting for the clutch for every gear when you want to go from 6th to 2nd gear or so is not realistic at all actually. When I use an h-shifter I skip gears so I can go from 6th to 2nd gear with one use of the clutch (Usually I skip 1 gear, so 6th to 4th, 4th to 2nd).

there should be a system where the game would start a shifting procedure where, when you shift again before the previous shift is complete, the game should cancel the previous engagement and overrule it with the new shift. That way you can go from 6th to 2nd essentially only using the shifting procedure of 3rd to 2nd and skipping te rest (simulating shifting from 6th to 2nd gear in one go scenario).

Archived