My Team Car Potential

How much potential do you guys think will the my team car have, will it be towards the front but not stupidly high, or will you maybe end up being a midfield team, or just have no chance to lose a race?

Since you are driving it, the AI will determine where you are, your teammate not so much. In one of the trailers they show the car development graph against the other teams. Assuming it is season 1 and not later on, the car starts roughly on par with the Williams. How fast it can be developed from there is a guess, but I doubt you’ll get into the top 3 before the season ends based on the My Team trailer that showed the graph. 

• Like 1

By the looks of the trailer, depending on which engine you choose just above Williams 

I wish they'd do away with the max potential stuff for cars.   Year 8 of my season in F12019 right now, everyone is maxed out, Williams still at the bottom.   What's the point of starting a career with Williams to build them back to the best team on the grid if it's not even possible?  In career mode, that performance cap should be gone.   If it's the same for "My team" where I'll have everything maxed out and still be mid-field or back of the grid performance wise it'll be a major let down.   Hearing that career mode is still probably that way again is very disheartening IMO.

7 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

Since you are driving it, the AI will determine where you are, your teammate not so much. In one of the trailers they show the car development graph against the other teams. Assuming it is season 1 and not later on, the car starts roughly on par with the Williams. How fast it can be developed from there is a guess, but I doubt you’ll get into the top 3 before the season ends based on the My Team trailer that showed the graph. 

Ok I see what you mean and you're probably right, I was just thinking about where you'll be when all the cars are fully maxed out

12 minutes ago, BC648 said:

Ok I see what you mean and you're probably right, I was just thinking about where you'll be when all the cars are fully maxed out

I never understood the decision to have different levels of “fully maxed out”. In theory every team should in the end find the absolute maximum development under the regulations if given enough time and money.

2 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

I never understood the decision to have different levels of “fully maxed out”. In theory every team should in the end find the absolute maximum development under the regulations if given enough time and money.

Yeah I'm not quite sure about it either, maybe they should replace the R&D tree with something else. Maybe you would be able to either invest in each department and they would improve the car in that department over time, and the more you invest into it the faster they can develop things, and upgrade it a bit more, and there could be a cap on how much this would improve the car, which would go up a random amount each season due to new breakthroughs, or have a chance to go down from a reg change. You might even be able to micromanage each department and focus on a specific part, e.g. for aero you could concentrate on the front wing. Or maybe they could go with sort of a motorsport manager approach. Just my thoughts

I’m hoping that the car can’t come close to the front in it’s first season and needs good fortune to score good points after that. I want my first championship to be hard earned and to feel good because of that

2 minutes ago, nothere270 said:

I’m hoping that the car can’t come close to the front in it’s first season and needs good fortune to score good points after that. I want my first championship to be hard earned and to feel good because of that

Yeah same, if the car can just become op in the first season it takes away from the experience of climbing up the grid to eventually be at the top. I hope it's not like say the rookie to veteran bar, obviously it doesn't do anything but you can just become a veteran at the end of season one.

Wait what? You have to climb up the ladder? I was gonna do a Brawn GP stunt all over again.

Just kidding, but doesn't it depend on the ai difficulty you choose?  the higher the difficulty the harder it will be to develop your car if you don't earn enough money and points

26 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Just kidding, but doesn't it depend on the ai difficulty you choose?  the higher the difficulty the harder it will be to develop your car if you don't earn enough money and points

To an extent. Your teammate will be also affected by the AI level and he/she will have a role to play in car development. But yes, you winning the driver’s title will probably get you sponsor money etc.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Wait what? You have to climb up the ladder? I was gonna do a Brawn GP stunt all over again.

That first bit would be nice as well. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of starting your own team at the back of the grid and doing an RTG, but it would also be pretty cool if you could choose your starting point. Maybe a thing in F1 2022 with the new regs and you could choose if you were sort of one of the teams that adapted really well and had a bit of a head start on say some of the lower midfield teams. It wouldn't make you start off better than a Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull, you'd probably be able to be best of the rest every now and again but mostly be in the middle of the midfield. Maybe other teams would develop a bit faster than you though, with them having more money. Sort of like a less good Brawn GP

TL;DR have other places you can start out at

Edited by BC648
grammar mistake lmao

I think car development in My Team will be slower than normal career mode.

In normal career you spend almost all your R&D points on the development of your car.

But, if I'm correct, in My Team you also have to assign these points to media things, team facilities, team building events etc.

Yeah, I think progress will be slow, although i thought I saw that some of the facilities actually generate points as well. We shall see.

and I agree about the difficulty meter. I’m normally on 60-70 AI because that’s where I’m comfortable, so I’m thinking about starting the myteam at 80-85 and seeing what that is like 🙂

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Bassie0889 said:

I think car development in My Team will be slower than normal career mode.

In normal career you spend almost all your R&D points on the development of your car.

But, if I'm correct, in My Team you also have to assign these points to media things, team facilities, team building events etc.

I think they introduced a split, with two categories of resources. You still have your points as always to spend on R&D but now you have a simulacrum of real money that you use to pay drivers, expand the R&D facilities, invest in marketing for your team and so on.

I may be wrong here though. I am inferring it all from seeing both points and money on a My Team gameplay video.

@BC648 @Aef251 yeah, I gave the briefest of thoughts on the subject and can’t make up my mind. In a way I largely understand Codemasters decision if you look at the cars in the Career – and now My Team – as singular cars, and not a continuous reiteration of models from a given constructor. This way there will be different caps to their hypothetical full performance state as there are different potentials to each model. There is only so much you can do to circumvent design flaws on the chassis or PU.

We are in for the long haul though. And cars get retired and replaced over the years with new models, with new design approaches.

Maybe this could be resolved if by the end of a season you were prompted to take a gamble on a handful of developing pathways to each department – or to choose to simply keep on the present design for a given one. They could have a potential adjustment baked in like -5% to +7% with varying result probabilities depending on how much you invested in that department along the game.

This could shake things up over the seasons as you could pull a Haas and bulldoze your performance with poor choices or McLaren your way around your car limitations with a pondered/lucky streak of good decisions.

Edited by marioho

38 minutes ago, marioho said:

In a way I largely understand Codemasters decision if you look at the cars in the Careerand now My Team – as singular cars, and not a continuous reiteration of models from a given constructor. This way there will be different caps to their hypothetical full performance state as there are different potentials to each model. There is only so much you can do to circumvent design flaws on the chassis or PU.

While I understand the thinking, a 10 year career (or my team) would mean that not only car designs and regulations change, but so do designers. And second, no one can actually know what the full design development would lead to until it does. Plus the reg changes should in my mind eliminate the old ceiling on the car and create a new one.