Sign in to follow this  

Digital vs. Physical Copy

How many of you will get the digital copy and how many will get the physical copy?  I've never purchased the digital copy of a game.  Do you have to buy again if your system fails or buy a new system?  Are there advantages to the digital copy?  Does the game run smoother?

I buy all my games digital. The big advantage is that you never have to get up to switch games. The downside you can't resell them. The digital game is linked to your account so when you buy a new console or a new console like PS5 and the new Xbox you will be able to download it without needing to buy a new one.

Physical copy for me, pre-ordered today. I’ve never downloaded a game to the PlayStation, I’m not sure if I trust the technology.

I’m basically living In 1999.

Posted (edited)

Digital is fine, the only issue is cost. I won't buy from psn when they're charging £12 (over 20%,more) than the retailer of my physical PS4 copy. If it was same price I'd take digital.

Edited by mouldy32

Using a PC, I always buy digital, because it's much cheaper than the physical copy.

Ironically, for F1 2020 I bought the Schumacher Edition physical, because I love the cover and i want it in my collection.. If only the PC version had also the steelbook... :classic_sad:

56 minutes ago, mouldy32 said:

Digital is fine, the only issue is cost. I won't buy from psn when they're charging £12 (over 20%,more) than the retailer of my physical PS4 copy. If it was same price I'd take digital.

The price for the Digital version and physical versions was the same, at least it was from where I looked. 

Schumi Edition was £64.99 on the PSN Store, and the same price for physical copies from GAME and Amazon.

2 hours ago, DJNicks87 said:

The price for the Digital version and physical versions was the same, at least it was from where I looked. 

Schumi Edition was £64.99 on the PSN Store, and the same price for physical copies from GAME and Amazon.

I only brought the 70th edition but psn was £55, shopto was £42.85. I think the schumi edition was £55ish through them(?) Defo wasn't more than £60.

Shopto are always ace with delivery on all preorders aswell, they've got a great rep of Friday releases arriving on Thursdays 

Physical for me, I never buy digital and never will.   Physical games are cheaper and I like something tangible for my money, also I like to own my game and be able to lend it or sell it if I desire.  Digital is long term rental, you don't own it.  Also it means you pay more and get less.  if people accept that, then that's up to them but I won't.

My physical copy to digital versions of games is at about a 5 : 1 ratio. I'd like to have more digital games but also worry if game got corrupted or a system failure. 

27 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

My physical copy to digital versions of games is at about a 5 : 1 ratio. I'd like to have more digital games but also worry if game got corrupted or a system failure. 

Its better than having a disk that can get broken or damaged etc...

digital is all stored on cloud and you can d/l when ever you want 👍

• Thanks 1

Digital.  I never used to because I liked to trade them in after.  I got a major upgrade in internet speed here in my area now though so I've gone mostly digital now.  I wish these companies would sell the digital versions for less than the physical.  It is what it is I guess now, but Ive gone digital again, just easier.

7 hours ago, petro1319 said:

Digital.  I never used to because I liked to trade them in after.  I got a major upgrade in internet speed here in my area now though so I've gone mostly digital now.  I wish these companies would sell the digital versions for less than the physical.  It is what it is I guess now, but Ive gone digital again, just easier.

It is easier I agree but why pay more for the same game? it's really silly.  I am getting a Physical copy of the Schumi edition from my local shop for £54.99 for the PS4.  it's £65 on PSN.  pay more, get less.  I'm lazy to but not that lazy. haha

• Agree 1

Its much better if you move over to Steam on PC, they dont rip you off like the PSN store

55 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Its much better if you move over to Steam on PC, they dont rip you off like the PSN store

Steam sells F1 2020 Seventy Edition for 54.99e. Retailers sell the PCDVD copy for 39.95e - 44.99e. Probably better to not leave those kinds of comments outside of the conversation

2 hours ago, UP100 said:

Steam sells F1 2020 Seventy Edition for 54.99e. Retailers sell the PCDVD copy for 39.95e - 44.99e. Probably better to not leave those kinds of comments outside of the conversation

Sorry dont know what you mean pal?

steam sells 70th edition for £44.99 and deluxe schumacker for £54.99

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

The argument for buying digital loses traction when it's cheaper to buy a DVD than the platform digital store.

Steam do have a lot of sale seasons. Also, we've not mentioned key resellers. Because physical and digital copies also sell at different prices in different territories then you can buy the game cheaper digitally if you use a reseller.

I last bought a physical copy in 2016. I used to be on console (X360).

F1 2010 I bought with the console as a 'free' game. (I also got Forza 3 and FIFA 10).

F1 2011 I bought from ShopTo as I did with F1 2012 and F1 2016 (PC DVD) because I got a loyalty deal.

F1 2013 Classic Edition (X360) and F1 2014 (PC) I think was from Bee.com but it was still physical. (F1 2013 was the last console title before moving to PC, I then sold the console and games).

F1 2015 I bought from Steam on sale.

F1 2017 I bought from CDKeys.com as I did F1 2018 & F1 2019.

F1 2020 Schumacher Edition was 'free' with a Fanatec steering wheel (yes, that one).

Oddly I picked up F1 2012 (new) as a physical copy on Amazon, F1 2010 and F1 2011 (both preowned) as physical on eBay. At that point, I wasn't mandated to Steam.

I also added F1 2010, F1 2011 and F1 2013 Classic Edition digitally in Steam sales (purely because installing F1 2010 from disc was a pain with GFWL and there was a patch).

I also bought F1 2009 on Wii even though I don't have one (I used to play it on a relative's system that is now not accessible as they've moved 😉 )

Prices?

Console was always more expensive. Only F1 2010 and F1 2015 were not day one releases.

Edited by steviejay69

5 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

I don't know what you mean. 1£ != 1€.

Also the Steam version is still 5£ more expensive than the Seventy Edition with a Steelbook in the UK!

https://www.game.co.uk/en/f1-2020-seventy-edition-with-uk-retail-exclusive-steelbook-2756397

image.png

• Haha 1