F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

F1 2020 - Tracklimits

Hello Guys. 
First of all. Thanks for the new game. Its really nice and I like it a lot. Good work. 
Nevertheless there‘s something which needs to be changed in my eyes. 
The Tracklimits got way more stricter than in 2019. especially at Spa. I dont think that the Community wanted even more strict tracklimits. They were strict enough in the past. Please fix That. Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 3

Every time you leave the track only marginally there is a penalty.  Certainly there are improvements like in England, France or Spain.  But in my opinion you should only punish someone if you generate a time advantage. Please change something on it.

• Agree 3

a lot of the community defo wanted more strict track limits, especially on tracks like mexico and russia

• Disagree 2

54 minutes ago, alex1994128 said:

a lot of the community defo wanted more strict track limits, especially on tracks like mexico and russia

In a few corners perhaps. But not Overall m8. It was difficult enough till now. 

• Like 1

The new game is fantastic. Thank you Codies for the great work. But it is a fact that the strict corner cutting rule is very bad and not realistic at all for years now. On the calendar there are a few corners which are made for running over the curbs but in the game the lap would be invalid. 
It is also a shame that you get a warning or penalty even if you clip the grass and loose time while going wide. This MUST be fixed. 

• Agree 3

i think both of you miss the point, the track is defined by the white lines and a strict setting should have this exact measure for track limits. a normal or "realistic" setting should give you options to run wide in some corner or cut the inside, but for competetive racing there has to be an objective measure for the track limits and those are the white lines

• Agree 2

Track limits are awful in 2019. You just can't race like the real drivers can, because every inch you move over the white line is an instant warning or in some cases even a time penalty. I don't cut corners, but I do run wide sometimes. Just like real drivers do. Turn 9 and 10 in Austria are very clear examples. It's why I race on regular settings when racing friends or the AI. I know they won't abuse the track limits and I won't either. But racing in ranked is just no fun (besides the ramming).

How comes you already playing it? 

1 minute ago, ICE95 said:

How comes you already playing it? 

I ordered it online and got it on Saturday 

4 hours ago, ORC_Diego said:

I ordered it online and got it on Saturday 

I preordered it aswell on xbox but cant play untill the 7th?

How tho..

I agree on the running a little wide. It should not be a warning as in real life, F1 drivers run a little wide all the time. I've seen countless times where all 4 tires are off the track in the run wide zone and it is allowed. I just don't understand why the run wide zone is there in the game if you can't run wide on it, even if it's only by a few inches. 

1 hour ago, Mike5500 said:

I agree on the running a little wide. It should not be a warning as in real life, F1 drivers run a little wide all the time. I've seen countless times where all 4 tires are off the track in the run wide zone and it is allowed. I just don't understand why the run wide zone is there in the game if you can't run wide on it, even if it's only by a few inches. 

In principle I agree. However, IRL there are some clear disadvantages of running aggressively over the exit kerbs, like seen today in Austria. In the game we don't get suspension or gearbox damage from running wide, so perhaps this track limit thing is a sort of a band-aid?

It mist be very strict. Exactly what it is. Look at the Race Today in Austria where the Times were delete if u go out a bit too much... But the Main Problem is that u get warnings and penaltys if u loose time. There is a great system in Acc. It handles the stuff as nothing if u dont get an advantage and if u get then u get a warning

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Exodium said:

It mist be very strict. Exactly what it is. Look at the Race Today in Austria where the Times were delete if u go out a bit too much... But the Main Problem is that u get warnings and penaltys if u loose time. There is a great system in Acc. It handles the stuff as nothing if u dont get an advantage and if u get then u get a warning

Yes, it should be strict. But the limit they use in F1 2019 on strict is not improving the racing. In real life the real limit on some corners are on the outer side of the exit curbs. So you are allowed to have all 4 wheels over the white line, as long as you have at least one tyre on the exit curb. On F1 2019 every limit is on the white line. Cross the white line, you'll receive a warning. Those curbs are so wide for a reason: they should be used! The modern cars are so much faster than the cars were these tracks were designed for. If you must stay within the white lines, you can't get the maximum potential out of the car.

Not even talking about all the penalty's and warnings I've received for 'cutting' the inside after a push from behind or trying to avoid another car. You lose more than 2 seconds because your exit is comprimised, but you still get a penalty for cutting. It makes online racing an awful experience overall.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

Those curbs are so wide for a reason: they should be used

Agreed. Apparently they're just there for show

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Falstojudilofa said:

Yes, it should be strict. But the limit they use in F1 2019 on strict is not improving the racing. In real life the real limit on some corners are on the outer side of the exit curbs. So you are allowed to have all 4 wheels over the white line, as long as you have at least one tyre on the exit curb. On F1 2019 every limit is on the white line. Cross the white line, you'll receive a warning. Those curbs are so wide for a reason: they should be used! The modern cars are so much faster than the cars were these tracks were designed for. If you must stay within the white lines, you can't get the maximum potential out of the car.

Not even talking about all the penalty's and warnings I've received for 'cutting' the inside after a push from behind or trying to avoid another car. You lose more than 2 seconds because your exit is comprimised, but you still get a penalty for cutting. It makes online racing an awful experience overall.

Definitly. That's what i mean. I mean strict yes but it has to be as Real life. In some corner u can take the whole curb in others not. That's why i said that acc has a great system there since 1.4

It checks if u get an advantage. If not nothing happens except for an Info about no time gained. Clearly it is restriced u Cant get too much over curbs but such very very little things will not punished if u dont get time there. And the Best is that u didnt get a penalty when u avoid a collision for example and / or loose time when u have to take the way over Grass or something. Motsly u loose a lot of time there and then get punished... And That's Definitly not realistic. But i'm pretty sure it is something that can archived

Edited by Exodium

Posted (edited)

Dear god guys. Learn to drive ON the track. Keep 2 wheels inside or on the white track line and there's no issue. The setting is called STRICT not REALISTIC. Strict is as per the rules which is you should not be going off track. Track is defined by the white lines. Hence strict will warn you if you go 4 wheels outside the white lines. You can drive a good lap while within the track limits you know 😉

EDIT: And if you refer to real life GPs again, please note that the stewards do NOT follow the rules on track limits and actually make their own rules each race week. How do you expect Codies to be able to program something to keep up with that? To do it as STRICT, it's as per the rules 😜

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 7

8 hours ago, martbloke said:

Dear god guys. Learn to drive ON the track. Keep 2 wheels inside or on the white track line and there's no issue. The setting is called STRICT not REALISTIC. Strict is as per the rules which is you should not be going off track. Track is defined by the white lines. Hence strict will warn you if you go 4 wheels outside the white lines. You can drive a good lap while within the track limits you know 😉

EDIT: And if you refer to real life GPs again, please note that the stewards do NOT follow the rules on track limits and actually make their own rules each race week. How do you expect Codies to be able to program something to keep up with that? To do it as STRICT, it's as per the rules 😜

Couldn't have said it better myself. 👍

9 hours ago, martbloke said:

Not ture.
Take for example Redbull Ring, before turn 5(6 for f1) there is a white line, and all f1 drivers are going "wide" there to open turn 5. In 2019 if you stay with 2 wheels ON the track but drive a bit to far it will stil invalidate the lap time. Thats the issue. So in essence, it's inconsistent. There are places where rule "2 wheels on track" works, and places where it doesn't.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, martbloke said:

It has nothing to do with learning to drive on the track. I rarely get penalty's for going wide, because I know that crossing the white line is almost every time a warning. So we are not talking about it being to difficult or being unclear. But it is making driving in certain corners less fun. Corners where real drivers can go flat out or take a wide line to take more speed with them on a large straight, we have to ease of the throttle to prevent getting a penalty. You can't expect Codemasters to change the limits every week. But the limits do not change every week. The limits on the most tracks have been the same for years.

But to be fair. I'd rather have them sort out the penalty system all together than work on more realistic track limits. It would be really nice to have, but I find it more frustrating that I receive a penalty for exceeding track limits or corner cutting when I have to avoid another car, than getting a penalty because I exceeded the limits three times.

If they were to loosen up the track limit restrictions, I think they should also significantly reduce grip on the kerbs. I never liked how on many on tracks the heavy braking after a straight is done on top of the outside kerb. You would never see that IRL.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kicaj928 said:

Not ture.
Take for example Redbull Ring, before turn 5(6 for f1) there is a white line, and all f1 drivers are going "wide" there to open turn 5. In 2019 if you stay with 2 wheels ON the track but drive a bit to far it will stil invalidate the lap time. Thats the issue. So in essence, it's inconsistent. There are places where rule "2 wheels on track" works, and places where it doesn't.

Where you have 2 wheels on track and you get a warning that is called a bug and should be reported to get fixed. As per my post, IRL limits are NOT STRICT like this setting is said to be. This setting mimics the limits as stated in the rules, not what the stewards decide at each race. If codies were to rename the setting to realistic or add another in, then there would be no issue but the fact it's called STRICT tells you and everyone that it is strict track limits so stay on track. It's simple English (or whatever language you choose in game - I believe strict means the same in all languages). If you want to run wide to open a corner up to allow you to take more speed through it and gains an advantage, that is called track extending. Oh and by the way, the Mercs were told to ignore the curbs yesterday and stay on track so IRL drivers can do it.

1 hour ago, Falstojudilofa said:

It has nothing to do with learning to drive on the track. I rarely get penalty's for going wide, because I know that crossing the white line is almost every time a warning. So we are not talking about it being to difficult or being unclear. But it is making driving in certain corners less fun. Corners where real drivers can go flat out or take a wide line to take more speed with them on a large straight, we have to ease of the throttle to prevent getting a penalty. You can't expect Codemasters to change the limits every week. But the limits do not change every week. The limits on the most tracks have been the same for years.

But to be fair. I'd rather have them sort out the penalty system all together than work on more realistic track limits. It would be really nice to have, but I find it more frustrating that I receive a penalty for exceeding track limits or corner cutting when I have to avoid another car, than getting a penalty because I exceeded the limits three times.

Again I'll state it again, STRICT is as the title describes. It is not meant to mimic IRL driving otherwise I'd expect it to be called REALISTIC or something to that effect. The actual FIA rules state the track is defined by the white lines and no driver should go off track unless there is a reason to do so (i.e. avoid crash, driver error, etc). STRICT means the rules are STRICTLY followed. It's just the norm for stewards to ignore these rules and allow drivers to track extend which is wrong in my eyes and I hate seeing them do so IRL. It's abusing the rules.

Anyways I agree with you that it's not the limits that are the issue, it is the penalty system. It needs to understand whether you have gained time while going off track or gaining an advantage like keeping a position. I think it does this at the moment but needs improving. You keep you foot down while going wide a smidge and that is track extending and you should be warned. But you don't gain any time I hear you say. Well then staying on track by a smidge won't lose you any time. Simples. Stay on track. Either the number of warnings needs upping or scaled depending on race length or something else to recognise and impose realistic penalties.

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 1

Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

With how wide f1 cars are now you can have whole car over the cerb and still have 2 wheels at white line.
While in the game it looks like it doesn't use wheels to check if you're of the track but center of the car. So it's not like the real rules.

So again red bull ring trun 5(6), in game you can't open it. 
I'm sure there are more examples of that, but that's one that I remember cause I got frustrated over invalid lap times in time trial.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Kicaj928 said:

With how wide f1 cars are now you can have whole car over the cerb and still have 2 wheels at white line.
While in the game it looks like it doesn't use wheels to check if you're of the track but center of the car. So it's not like the real rules.

So again red bull ring trun 5(6), in game you can't open it. 
I'm sure there are more examples of that, but that's one that I remember cause I got frustrated over invalid lap times in time trial.

It does use the full width of the car including wheels. Like I said, if you see an occasion where you are on track and you get a warning for track extending or corner cutting, it's a bug and needs to be reported.

What I will say is that you HAVE to check the replay to be fully certain. In play cameras are misleading as you cannot see the edge of your tyres so where it looks like you are on track from cockpit or TCam view, you are likely not when you check the replay.

• Agree 1

Im all for track limits its in the sims you go off track invalid lap some of the f1 tracks are bugged I am sure I have had penalties for track limits during safety car in france for having 2 tyres off track!

Ive also had a penalty at spa for spunning out in sector 2 obviously lost 6 or 7 seconds and got a 10 second time penalty aswell!

How could this be! Its the implememted system needing an overhaul I would say.