A question regarding driver nationality flags in the F1 games

Hey everyone,

This is a question I have that I'd like if any Codemasters F1 staff could answer. I'm from Puerto Rico and I noticed that the older F1 games (2012, 2013 for example) had the Puerto Rican flag and Nationality in them. The last few games I've owned though, 2018 and 2019, don't have it as an option. I'd love to be able to race with my national flag being represented. Would it be possible to see the Puerto Rican flag returned as an option for F1 2020 or 2021? I'd love to hear about it 😄

• Agree 2

I’ve had every F1 game and even dirt games like dirt 3 and others and never had seen a Dominican flag on any f1 game and i need it for league racing it looks bad using a “world flag” or having to use different Latin American flags just to represent my Latin community, please add all the flags in the world and never have this discussion again!

• Agree 5

for a sport that travels the world, you would assume everyone would get included. Something so minor should be an easy hot fix into the game.

• Agree 3

I am actually curious about this; I live in the Philippines and it would be nice to see my flag up there when choosing it in customization. I wonder if there is a criteria whatsoever

• Agree 2

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one with this issue... Hopefully Codemasters F1 Staff can see this and maybe add these nationalities ^_^

Posted (edited)

I agree that they need more flags. I wanted to represent the Republic of (North) Macedonia. They have Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Serbia, but not the country right in the middle? Come on, Codies, it's probably the only European country to not have a flag in the game!

And with Puerto Rico, that's a popular one, I know plenty of Puerto Ricans who like racing games and F1, but people can't choose it?!

Meanwhile you have places like Zimbabwe and North Korea, which are only useful for comedic purposes if you have a dark sense of humour because who the hell is going to play from North Korea? It's not even possible. And people who escaped wouldn't want to represent it. 

I'm sure it's not a difficult thing to add more. Be more inclusive. If not as an update, at least in the next game.

Edited by JamesG

I know there are no Egyption drivers in Formula series , but why can't we have Egyption flag ?!

• Agree 1

I can suggest you email the support "custservice@codemasters.com" hopefully if they get a lot of emails they would do it.

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 12:44 AM, NightHawk said:

I know there are no Egyption drivers in Formula series , but why can't we have Egyption flag ?!

See, that's another one they should have and you'd think they would because Egypt is an important and large country. Yet, no nationality in the game?

Edited by JamesG

On 7/17/2020 at 12:53 AM, NightHawk said:

I can suggest you email the support "custservice@codemasters.com" hopefully if they get a lot of emails they would do it.

Or we could keep discussing it to keep this thread near the top and hopefully they will note our request for more national representation.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:19 AM, stephfarelle95 said:

Is there a way to get codemasters staff to see this thread? XD

Tagging @BarryBL is probably the best bet, although right now I'm sure he has his hands full dealing with bug reports.

I'm lucky to have my flag in the game but obviously I can it must be very frustrating for those who don't. 

• Agree 1

On 7/8/2020 at 3:34 AM, LOPEZMATIASFLY said:

I’ve had every F1 game and even dirt games like dirt 3 and others and never had seen a Dominican flag on any f1 game and i need it for league racing it looks bad using a “world flag” or having to use different Latin American flags just to represent my Latin community, please add all the flags in the world and never have this discussion again!

Flags are political a minefield - as someone who used to work on software that tried to keep everyone happy with flags, I'd almost rather they removed them all. (I'm not saying that's an issue for any of the flags being discussed in this thread, but "adding all the flags in the world" into software that's sold all around the world certainly isn't the simple task you might expect.)

31 minutes ago, scottishwildcat said:

Flags are political a minefield - as someone who used to work on software that tried to keep everyone happy with flags, I'd almost rather they removed them all. (I'm not saying that's an issue for any of the flags being discussed in this thread, but "adding all the flags in the world" into software that's sold all around the world certainly isn't the simple task you might expect.)

I can see how that could be the case, but I'm not sure it applies to any of the flags requested in this thread? 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

They have a freaken North Korean flag in the game... I don't think politics concerns them. 

I made a similiar post today:

But now i found this post.
It is very straightforward to implement new flags into the game the code is there everything is there all they need to do is add a couple of images which should be a few minutes of work for a good developer.
I can't have Albania Bosnia or Macedonia which I consider all my countries and it is frustrating because other people used flags as memes and I can't represent any of my countries

On 7/18/2020 at 4:28 AM, Ultra3142 said:

I'm lucky to have my flag in the game but obviously I can it must be very frustrating for those who don't or wnt to create a driver whose flag's missing. 

Fixed. Mate, you forgot to mention those of us who create drivers not based on the player.