Jump to content Jump to content

Dirt Rally - Tarmac Terror - TEST REVIEW

Arguriou

So, i play the game yesterday.
Im disappointed. The kit cars are realy good. But the Physics on Tarmac catastrophal.
And the Wheel ? Why is the Wheel so wrong ? Is the same like gamepad or max 90 degree ratation. You cannot drive in one line.
No Wheight of the cars. I drive the BMW in Germany, the start is like F1 car. And the feeling is to arcade.
Until now only gravel is good and some cars.
If you go this direction you can loose us (from RBR) but you can win new players they are casual. But nobody will make online championships with this Dirt.

1. Better Physics for the cars
2. Less grip
3. Choose of tyres
4. Tarmac is realy not good

You realy go wrong. You must fix this.
I go now back to rFactor2 until the changes. Cause now, i cannot drive. This is to arcade and for gamepads.
Wales and Greek was ok. Tarmac NO !!

Thank you so much for that in-depth review, it brought tears to my eyes.

I found another in-depth review by Evil Betty of a piece of paper, it's historically accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsy7JW2LC48

Hrhr.

On a more serious note... while I do agree with you that the grip is a little too high, and the physics needs a few tweaks, I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be. Because, believe it or not... rally cars are not superhard to drive. Hard to drive does not necessarily mean realism. Some of these cars are actually quite easy to drive on asphalt... it is a very grippy surface, after all. They only get tricky once you start driving on and above the limit. Take the 037 for example. It has very nice and responsive handling, but as soon as you enter a corner too quickly, schwops! The rear steps out. I suggest you watch this video of a dude driving a 037 on asphalt roads, and he's not taking it easy. There is very little sliding and very much grip. It is also awesome to watch and listen to, so enjoy... watch from 11:50 for the 037:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgWWNJVdYA

Because, believe it or not... rally cars are not superhard to drive.
:o Get out!
Some people seem to be under the impression that because it's a rally car/rally game it must be Sideways all the time when that strictly isn't the case. Particularly on Tarmac with the super grippy tyres. 
I think part of the problem is some of these guys don't realise just how much tyres have improved in the last 15 years.

@dgeesi0 Yeah I think it's just the way you're driving them because for me they feel great and behave like FWD should :) (you can make it slide with left-foot braking and that's great!)

I have to say that I miss the times when simulator players actually learned to drive the game correctly before spamming the forums with "TOO ARCADE! PLZ FIX ARACDE!! I GO BACK TO RBR - NO ARCADE THERE HURR DURR". :/ I'm sure that majority of us here wouldn't be able to drive real rally car perfectly at first because you need years of practicing with them. Would some guys here then blame the real car to be arcade when it doesn't drive like they think? :)
Jepsertti said:
@dgeesi0 Yeah I think it's just the way you're driving them because for me they feel great and behave like FWD should :) (you can make it slide with left-foot braking and that's great!)

I have to say that I miss the times when simulator players actually learned to drive the game correctly before spamming the forums with "TOO ARCADE! PLZ FIX ARACDE!! I GO BACK TO RBR - NO ARCADE THERE HURR DURR". :/ I'm sure that majority of us here wouldn't be able to drive real rally car perfectly at first because you need years of practicing with them. Would some guys here then blame the real car to be arcade when it doesn't drive like they think? :)
Took the kitcars to Greece for a spin and thry feel awesome on gravel as well. You can get lots of liftoff oversteer and sometimes I really feel that I shouldnt be driving this high powered FWD car on gravel coz it's just silly, but yhat is how I feel when watching them IRL too. It's awesome.
From another Thread:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/7165/when-are-the-physics-and-damage-model-going-to-be-updated#latest

The new track and car updates are really nice but...

1.  When are we going to see updates to the current tarmac physics model?  ..the release of the Germany update just makes the current issues even more apparent.  Right now its either all or nothing in regards to grip on tarmac and no in between.  Also, no throttle lift oversteer, (no steering with the throttle of any sort for that matter), ridiculously short braking distances, and the inability to powerslide with RWD at high speeds only make the poor tarmac physics model really stand out.  On tarmac it's like you are driving on rails unless you purposely try to upset the suspension/traction with the handbrake or a scandanavian flick.  This model feels really bad compared to any other modern driving simulators.

2.  When are the vehicle damage models going be updated to something more realistic ? (or at least a toggle option between arcade/sim)  When I hit a group of trees at 70 mph I should be out of the rally...not put back on track with a leaking radiator.  If I roll my car at 80mph+ into a field i should not be placed back on track with a 12sec delay I should be out of the rally as well.  It's a bit ridiculous and feels more like a console game at this point.

The bug fixes and additions to the game are all wonderful and your team is doing a great job... but come on it's been 3 months. Lets see some changes that actually affect the core and most important aspects of the game...the driving.

I was wrong not Codi.
Codi want a spimple game (for pop corn players) and not a hardcore sim.
Im out, was good time with Codi
Good luck
Arguriou said:
From another Thread:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/7165/when-are-the-physics-and-damage-model-going-to-be-updated#latest

The new track and car updates are really nice but...

1.  When are we going to see updates to the current tarmac physics model?  ..the release of the Germany update just makes the current issues even more apparent.  Right now its either all or nothing in regards to grip on tarmac and no in between.  Also, no throttle lift oversteer, (no steering with the throttle of any sort for that matter), ridiculously short braking distances, and the inability to powerslide with RWD at high speeds only make the poor tarmac physics model really stand out.  On tarmac it's like you are driving on rails unless you purposely try to upset the suspension/traction with the handbrake or a scandanavian flick.  This model feels really bad compared to any other modern driving simulators.

2.  When are the vehicle damage models going be updated to something more realistic ? (or at least a toggle option between arcade/sim)  When I hit a group of trees at 70 mph I should be out of the rally...not put back on track with a leaking radiator.  If I roll my car at 80mph+ into a field i should not be placed back on track with a 12sec delay I should be out of the rally as well.  It's a bit ridiculous and feels more like a console game at this point.

The bug fixes and additions to the game are all wonderful and your team is doing a great job... but come on it's been 3 months. Lets see some changes that actually affect the core and most important aspects of the game...the driving.

I was wrong not Codi.
Codi want a spimple game (for pop corn players) and not a hardcore sim.
Im out, was good time with Codi
Good luck
Also from that other thread
@KickUp said during the Pikes Peak show that they are working on the physics and that they don't know when it'll be ready.

``If you go this direction you can loose us (from RBR)`` 

loool like some1 gives 1 big fock about that

Mommie i dont want cheese on my bread anymore, bcz we (from RBR) think bacon is better.

053 said:

Mommie i dont want cheese on my bread anymore, bcz we (from RBR) think bacon is better.

Rubbish metaphor - I love bacon, dislike cheese and appreciate both RBR and DR!
053 said:

Rubbish metaphor - I love bacon, dislike cheese and appreciate both RBR and DR!
You must be one of those POP CORN PLAYERS because eating bacon and disliking cheese is pure ARCADE. ARCADE!!!!!!!
I see quite a few @ss nine replies in this thread....

All CM needs to do is fix the horrible tarmac physics and threads of this type will cease to exist. 

It's a bit funny to see folks defend DR stating that  rally cars shouldn't slide much on tarmac because they have "super grippy tires".  Seriously go take any half million dollar race car in Assetto Corsa, Rfactor2, or Stock Car Extreme for a spin and tell me cars don't slide on tarmac with race tires.  Hell, if a game as simple as Forza Motorsports can get it halfway right why can't DR?

DR's tarmac physics are currently a joke while the rest of the game is quite lovely. It's unfortunate but hopefully it will be fixed soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewxrNSOKFow

Of course you've seen some asinine comments in this thread mate, it's an asinine thread.

As I said on the previous page, Codemasters said during the Pikes Peak show that they are aware of the physics issue and are working on it. I told him the same thing last time he posted a thread complaining about the physics, and most likely the thread before that.

And your video is of a 15 year old rally car, on tyres from 15 years ago. This is a modern WRC car, on modern tyres, in Monte.

https://youtu.be/a9gdA4OLnYo?t=13s

The rear end only steps out when he uses the handbrake, and that's on tarmac covered in a layer of gravel.

OP's threads always provide some free entertainment, but the points noted in a quote on previous page are valid to some extent. I challenge some folks here to find a single recording of a RWD car in DR showing a lift-off-oversteer on tarmac stage (actually, don't bother, because You won't find any). At the same time gradual grip loss is non-existent, while excessive engine braking is more noticeable on new stages as well.

To me, the current grip level on tarmac feels comparable to modern slicks running on clean, rubbered-up racing circuit. I don't think, however, it's good for simulating threaded tyres from 40 and 50 years ago, running on on dusty concrete and worn-out tarmac. So - grip for modern WRC and kit cars? Plausible. For '70s and '80s machinery? Not really.

There's still lots of development ahead of us, though, so I'm still excited to see what next updates bring.
Nobody said they can't slide, we just pointed out that the car(s) need some provoking to do so.
The 037 doesn't need to be asked twice to stick its rear out lol. Anyone grumbling about grip surly cant have driven it at speed. Plenty of lift off over-steer and drifting ahoy.  

Archived