Jump to content Jump to content

Dirt Rally - Tarmac Terror - TEST REVIEW

Arguriou

Barnestah said:
Nobody said they can't slide, we just pointed out that the car(s) need some provoking to do so.
The 037 doesn't need to be asked twice to stick its rear out lol. Anyone grumbling about grip surly cant have driven it at speed. Plenty of lift off over-steer and drifting ahoy.  
Yes you are correct the 037 does have throttle lift oversteer but it only rears its ugly head on corner setup never mid corner.  It also smacks you in the face in an unrealistic fashion...no audio or ffb warning sign...and no time to correct as it feels like a light switch is being flicked on or off. . Plus, if you are hot into a corner and exibiting understeer you cannot lift throttle then immediately power oversteer as you can in a true RWD.  Once understeer is induced you are always stuck with understeer until corner exit no matter how hard you try to transfer weight and traction.  That is not accurate physics modeling.

On Tarmac in DR it's simple to see your either on traction or off...there is no in between.    It's as if an extremely high grip coefficient is being applied to the tires and when they do finally break free it is sudden, without warning, and violent .  That is not how a real race car behaves as there are levels of grey.  DR gives us an artificial on/off traction difficulty when trying to drive faster on tarmac.

Also on a sidenote the 037 will not break traction with power oversteer on corner exit unless you are going extremely slow (under 30mph)  That is a prime example of a completely @ssbackwards physics model or rear tire grip issue as a real 037 has enough power to easily power oversteer on corner exit at much higher speeds.

In conclusion there was a post of the steam forum stating CM was trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear with the EGO engine physics.  I truly hope that is not the case and further improvements can still be made.
Barnestah said:
Nobody said they can't slide, we just pointed out that the car(s) need some provoking to do so.
The 037 doesn't need to be asked twice to stick its rear out lol. Anyone grumbling about grip surly cant have driven it at speed. Plenty of lift off over-steer and drifting ahoy.  
Yes you are correct the 037 does have throttle lift oversteer but it only rears its ugly head on corner entry and smacks you in the face in an unrealistic fashion...no audio or ffb warning sign...and no time to correct as it feels like a light switch being flicked on or off. .  Also, if you are hot into a corner and exibiting understeer you cannot lift throttle then immediately power oversteer as you can in a true RWD.  You are always stuck with understeer until corner exit no matter how hard you try to transfer weight and traction.

On Tarmac in DR it's simple to see your either on grip or off...there is no in between.    It's as if an extremely high grip coefficient is being applied to the tires and when they do finally break free it is sudden, without warning, and violent .  That is not how a real race car behaves as there are many levels of grey.  DR gives us an artificial on/off traction difficulty when trying to drive faster on tarmac.

Also on a sidenote the 037 will not break traction with power oversteer on corner exit unless you are going extremely slow (under 30mph)  That is a prime example of a completely @ssbackwards physics model or rear tire grip issue as a real 037 has enough power to easily power oversteer on corner exit at much higher speeds.

There was a post of the steam forum stating CM was trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear with the EGO engine physics.  I truly hope that is not the case and further improvements can still be made.
The devs have stated that tarmac needs more dynamic grip loss than what we currently have. When that will be done and patched they do not know yet. There really is no reason to start thread after thread bitching about this. They are aware there are issues. Same thing with the engine braking, they are aware of it and it will be fixed.
Yeah I see no reason to argue about this either since Codemasters intend to fix it.

Let's argue about tunafish instead.
Agreed, I really don't see why people can say a game is broken when with a few small adjustments that are (hopefully in the pipeline) it should be near perfect.
Yeah I see no reason to argue about this either since Codemasters intend to fix it.

Why does tuna come in so many varieties these days? I used to go to the shop and buy tuna. Now, I have to spend ages working out if I have tuna in oil, tuna in water, tuna in brine, tuna in tomato sauce etc...
bogani said:
Barnestah said:
Yes you are correct the 037 does have throttle lift oversteer but it only rears its ugly head on corner entry and smacks you in the face in an unrealistic fashion...no audio or ffb warning sign...and no time to correct as it feels like a light switch being flicked on or off. .  Also, if you are hot into a corner and exibiting understeer you cannot lift throttle then immediately power oversteer as you can in a true RWD.  You are always stuck with understeer until corner exit no matter how hard you try to transfer weight and traction.

On Tarmac in DR it's simple to see your either on grip or off...there is no in between.    It's as if an extremely high grip coefficient is being applied to the tires and when they do finally break free it is sudden, without warning, and violent .  That is not how a real race car behaves as there are many levels of grey.  DR gives us an artificial on/off traction difficulty when trying to drive faster on tarmac.

There was a post of the steam forum stating CM was trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear with the EGO engine physics.  I truly hope that is not the case and further improvements can still be made.
The devs have stated that tarmac needs more dynamic grip loss than what we currently have. When that will be done and patched they do not know yet. There really is no reason to start thread after thread bitching about this. They are aware there are issues. Same thing with the engine braking, they are aware of it and it will be fixed.
I agree. Although hopefully be soon.... :)

Why does tuna come in so many varieties these days? I used to go to the shop and buy tuna. Now, I have to spend ages working out if I have tuna in oil, tuna in water, tuna in brine, tuna in tomato sauce etc...
Tuna                 in tomato sauce!

Well as live and breath.  I didn't know such a thing even existed. 

Too many folks pretending to know anything about grip when clearly they have never been inside a Rally car, let alone driving one...

I'll rate this by its fun factor, and it is 100%... well actually 95% because I got a little disappointed with 037 engine sound but... a superb overall grade overall... :blush: 

Alwert said:
Here is a video which shows that physical asphalt must improve. In all closed curves the car runs out of power. And watch the 1:31. Too weird ...

http://youtu.be/80v6CJXekHk
It is weird. Weird that whoever was driving downshifted all the way into reverse. Hit the paddles too many times, methinks.
Were you expecting the car to keep going or to powerslide while in neutral or reverse?
That video is a good example of what most are complaining of driving on tarmac.  Wheels simply will not spin to keep the momentum going, after the initial handbrake and lateral slide it grips way too fast and comes almost to a complete stop.  I'm sorry but it's just not right, these cars have the power to keep all four wheels spinning on tarmac once they initiate a hairpin slide to a certain extent, you simply can't do that in DR right now on tarmac.

I'm not trying to say to take all the grip away, I actually tried the tire grip mod and it was awful the car just understeered and ploughed forward no matter what you did it was terrible.  It's in the actual physics not just grip levels.  It's not near as bad, but even on gravel the cars seem to bog down and not be able to get any wheelspin in hairpins. 
griev0r said:
I'm not trying to say to take all the grip away, I actually tried the tire grip mod and it was awful the car just understeered and ploughed forward no matter what you did it was terrible.  It's in the actual physics not just grip levels.  It's not near as bad, but even on gravel the cars seem to bog down and not be able to get any wheelspin in hairpins. 
I tried the tyre grip mod on the Fiesta. Like you, I didn't like the horrible understeer from the low grip tyres, especially in hairpins, I thought the med grip worked a lot better, but switched back to normal for the DTL
griev0r said:
I tried the tyre grip mod on the Fiesta. Like you, I didn't like the horrible understeer from the low grip tyres, especially in hairpins, I thought the med grip worked a lot better, but switched back to normal for the DTL
Yeah I tried it on the Fiesta as well.  That gives me an idea though, I'm going to try leaving the front tires on high grip and rear tires low or med for Germany and give it another shot.  That could help the understeer but help the wheelspin in corners.
griev0r said:
That video is a good example of what most are complaining of driving on tarmac.  Wheels simply will not spin to keep the momentum going, after the initial handbrake and lateral slide it grips way too fast and comes almost to a complete stop.  I'm sorry but it's just not right, these cars have the power to keep all four wheels spinning on tarmac once they initiate a hairpin slide to a certain extent, you simply can't do that in DR right now on tarmac.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GCLlQnV7wzKLu/giphy.gif

Archived