Jump to content
F1 2020 | 1.07 PATCH NOTES NOW LIVE | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A

UP100

List of all the Answers

General
What have changed, improved, the such?
Track surfaces, evolution of grip over the weekend and rain
Testing by real drivers in the future, and assist balance
What kind of setups does the AI use?
Grip scaling

Driving
Starts in F2

Driving in dirty air
How does brakes fading affect the driving and how to manage it?

Setup
F1 2019 setup to 2020, what to look at?
More downforce in the front or in the rear?

Dry tire temperature range & What do tire pressures affect?
What do tire pressures affect?
Do hotter temperatures affect the oversteer of the car?

Modifying default setups to be less understeery
Time Trial setup to race setup (Multiple answers in a row)

Handling
Difference between Mercedes and the Multiplayer car
F2 and engine braking
Is the FFB same as the beta, and info about an upcoming fix
Does the game implement a "Coca Cola bottle effect"?
Does the game implement the possibility of brakes overheating and tire temperatures dropping under SC/VSC?
Do the dry tires have a blanket operating range?
Is the altitude simulated in-game?
Will the game implement the grip differences of a wet rubbered in track?

Does the AI have dynamic tire temperatures?
Does the AI performance scale depending on the weather conditions?

Wheel / Controller Setups
Thrustmaster Control Panel Settings & T300
T300 In-game FFB settings
Greco's in-game wheel settings

Settings to get a linear curve in F1 games

Multiple Questions from Multiple Categories
Racing Line, What gears is overtake most effective and Lean fuel mix and engine wear

Message added by UP100

Recommended Posts

Now that many of us have already had the chance to try out F1 2020 for the first time, I thought it'd be great to get the real life racer, simracer and most importantly the handling designer of F1 games, @David Greco CM, to answer some of your questions that you might've come up with! There won't be any proper rules for the Q&A. Try to keep on-topic and Greco will answer as many questions as he can. Also, all questions are valid, no matter if you're a complete newbie or a seasoned veteran! If you're encountering an issue, it's quite likely that someone else has also encountered that issue at some point in time.

I'll be compiling all the answers to a message that can always be seen at the top of this thread above all comments, no matter what page you're on 🙂 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be opening this thread in a moment. I thought that I should probably start... and I'm possibly going a bit off-topic already! I'm using a T300 as my wheel, and while the game has a default setup for the wheel, I'm wondering what kind of settings should I be using in the T300's Control Panel?

image.png.83117eb89e588f560027cbf3b308c279.png

These seem to be my current settings. I'm also running with 900 degrees which is then translated by the game to the normal around 360 degrees using one of the two in-game settings (linearity or saturation, can't remember).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be really keen to get more information on how the driving dynamics have been improved from F1 2019. But in slightly more nerdy technical depth. The feel is fantastic, particularly with the increase in mechanical and aero grip. What led towards these alterations and what improvements will next gen allow?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a post in the beta forum about track surfaces "rubbering in" over the course of a session/weekend. Unfortunately the forums went down as I was replying to it.

Can you talk more about this, please? Things that I'm mainly interested in are, does the grip "reset" after rain? If I jumped straight into an online race, is the grip level similar to FP1 as there has been no rubbering in or does it simulate how the track would be come race time?

Lastly, all of this is new to 2020, so was Jeff lying to me all this time about the track being green and telling me to take it easy? 😄

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I'll be opening this thread in a moment. I thought that I should probably start... and I'm possibly going a bit off-topic already! I'm using a T300 as my wheel, and while the game has a default setup for the wheel, I'm wondering what kind of settings should I be using in the T300's Control Panel?

image.png.83117eb89e588f560027cbf3b308c279.png

These seem to be my current settings. I'm also running with 900 degrees which is then translated by the game to the normal around 360 degrees using one of the two in-game settings (linearity or saturation, can't remember).

The overall strength is your own choice, altho, I really don't see the harm in having it set to 100%.

The only thing I would really advice is to have the damper set to 100%. This is because then you can set in-game how much damper you want. If you don't like dampening (altho a little bit will also help oscillation) you just put it to 0 in game, and you will have no dampening effect. But on the wheel panel, I advise to have it to 100%, so that then in game you can adjust as you like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, magpieracer48 said:

I'd be really keen to get more information on how the driving dynamics have been improved from F1 2019. But in slightly more nerdy technical depth. The feel is fantastic, particularly with the increase in mechanical and aero grip. What led towards these alterations and what improvements will next gen allow?

I don't want to make any publicity to any youtuber, because they don't need, but, Alex is a great guy and I had a chat with him about a bit more indepth handling changes, so, here is the video he made about it: https://youtu.be/ELh5sVhSoSA?t=587

 

  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey David, in another thread it was discussed how to get a good start in the F2 cars: we were hinted to ask you. This was also difficult in F1 2019, so what is your advice/input to get a good start in an F2 car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

There was a post in the beta forum about track surfaces "rubbering in" over the course of a session/weekend. Unfortunately the forums went down as I was replying to it.

Can you talk more about this, please? Things that I'm mainly interested in are, does the grip "reset" after rain? If I jumped straight into an online race, is the grip level similar to FP1 as there has been no rubbering in or does it simulate how the track would be come race time?

Lastly, all of this is new to 2020, so was Jeff lying to me all this time about the track being green and telling me to take it easy? 😄

So, I talked about grip from different asphalts. We have 4 asphalts in F1 2020, New Racing track or resurfaced, old racing track (old asphalt), semi permanent racing track and street circuit. 
This list goes from highest grip to lowest grip. 

The rubbering in, has always been there, so, no, Jeff never lied 😄

About the track after rain, I need to dig out more, I can't remember right now, I'll come back with an answer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tigergrow said:

Hey David, in another thread it was discussed how to get a good start in the F2 cars: we were hinted to ask you. This was also difficult in F1 2019, so what is your advice/input to get a good start in an F2 car?

Just like Lando told me about a year ago, full gas, and then release the throttle a bit to make it gain grip. Very tricky car to get a good start

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will there be further tests by F1 or other racing drivers to further refine the handling, ffb etc. and bring them closer to a racing car?

what do the internal calculations for the following variants look like in terms of time savings?

TK middle vs no TK

ABS vs no ABS

Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LILLHELM said:

will there be further tests by F1 or other racing drivers to further refine the handling, ffb etc. and bring them closer to a racing car?

what do the internal calculations for the following variants look like in terms of time savings?

TK middle vs no TK

ABS vs no ABS

Thank you so much!

First question, I don't know. I hope so, would make my life easier 🙂 

About the variants, well, we run tests and try to make sure there isn't an advantage running assists, but, at the same time, it is a help, so it has to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you explain how tyre pressures will affect wear and also carcass temperature?

also what is the ideal range of temperature for the dry compounds, inters and wets  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wanted to use a f1 2019 style setup except for tyre pressures what other areas would you suggest looking at changing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question about the Formula 2 cars: While the "extra rotation" is mostly removed on the F1 cars, I feel like it is still very much present on the formula 2 cars. Is this just the handling of the F2 car in F1 2020, or still the extra rotation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, David Greco CM said:

So, I talked about grip from different asphalts. We have 4 asphalts in F1 2020, New Racing track or resurfaced, old racing track (old asphalt), semi permanent racing track and street circuit. 
This list goes from highest grip to lowest grip. 

The rubbering in, has always been there, so, no, Jeff never lied 😄

About the track after rain, I need to dig out more, I can't remember right now, I'll come back with an answer.

Would you say the rubbering in effect is more realistic and substantial this year? Just finished an FP1 session in Abu Dhabi and found the track quite slow to begin with. 
Is this also represented visually with a “darker” line appearing as the weekend goes on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

Can you explain how tyre pressures will affect wear and also carcass temperature?

also what is the ideal range of temperature for the dry compounds, inters and wets  

Dry's: 85 to 100. Inters: 70 - 85. Wets: 60 - 75. Let's say that a couple of degrees outside this range is still ok, although, not optimal, but more, it starts to exponentially lose grip.

Low tyre pressure will help traction, help tyre temps, but will have more wear.
High tyre pressure will have less traction, but more responsive and better grip at high speed, better tyre wear, but higher temps.

 

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the car gets more oversteer if the weather gets hotter and the grip is getting more? You could see it clear with Vettel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GBPolesitter said:

Would you say the rubbering in effect is more realistic and substantial this year? Just finished an FP1 session in Abu Dhabi and found the track quite slow to begin with. 
Is this also represented visually with a “darker” line appearing as the weekend goes on?

Amh, is possible, we have done some work on the rubbering effect. I would need to check, as it was done ages ago.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MissionTime05 said:

Does the car gets more oversteer if the weather gets hotter and the grip is getting more? You could see it clear with Vettel 

Very very subtle, is not implemented so much, more of a game design choice than physics inability to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tigergrow said:

Another question about the Formula 2 cars: While the "extra rotation" is mostly removed on the F1 cars, I feel like it is still very much present on the formula 2 cars. Is this just the handling of the F2 car in F1 2020, or still the extra rotation?

Is quite harder to remove it on the Formula 2, due to the nature of the engine. The 2020 F2 car, because of the new tyres, I had more time available to spend on those, so, it will have engine braking more in line with the F1 cars.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cearp8858 said:

If you wanted to use a f1 2019 style setup except for tyre pressures what other areas would you suggest looking at changing?

The aero has been rebalanced, so,  you don't need to go so extreme with front wing, they could be much closer front and rear. Say you had a 1 - 6 wing in 2019, you could go 3 - 4 in 2020.

Having more downforce, compared to a 2019 setup, you might want to be a bit stiffer or more ride height otherwise the diffuser will stall and the car will lose a lot of downforce.

  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David, while I love pretty much every aspect of the new handling, possibly the one thing that still bugs me is the "E-sport lines" under braking, with two wheels over the kerbs on the green stuff/runoff. 

Spain sector 1 is a good example where you brake almost fully outside the track for a much wider line into turn 1 and turn 3. I guess this is more a surface grip thing than handling model, but are there any ways to still improve that? Maybe reduce the grip of the astro/the stuff next to the kerb?

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David,

if you want to have more heat on the tires, do you need to set more pressure or is it the contrary?

Thanks a lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Greco CM said:

The overall strength is your own choice, altho, I really don't see the harm in having it set to 100%.

The only thing I would really advice is to have the damper set to 100%. This is because then you can set in-game how much damper you want. If you don't like dampening (altho a little bit will also help oscillation) you just put it to 0 in game, and you will have no dampening effect. But on the wheel panel, I advise to have it to 100%, so that then in game you can adjust as you like.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the beta forum i believe it was you that said strenght to 75 to avoid clipping or was that another wheel brand then the t300?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Assiemodis said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the beta forum i believe it was you that said strenght to 75 to avoid clipping or was that another wheel brand then the t300?

In-game, something around that. I was asking about the Thrustmaster Control Panel's settings 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×