Jump to content
F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

David Greco's Handling, Driving and Setup Q&A

UP100

List of all the Answers

General
What have changed, improved, the such?
Track surfaces, evolution of grip over the weekend and rain
Testing by real drivers in the future, and assist balance
What kind of setups does the AI use?
Grip scaling

Driving
Starts in F2

Driving in dirty air
How does brakes fading affect the driving and how to manage it?

Setup
F1 2019 setup to 2020, what to look at?
More downforce in the front or in the rear?

Dry tire temperature range & What do tire pressures affect?
What do tire pressures affect?
Do hotter temperatures affect the oversteer of the car?

Modifying default setups to be less understeery
Time Trial setup to race setup (Multiple answers in a row)

Handling
Difference between Mercedes and the Multiplayer car
F2 and engine braking
Is the FFB same as the beta, and info about an upcoming fix
Does the game implement a "Coca Cola bottle effect"?
Does the game implement the possibility of brakes overheating and tire temperatures dropping under SC/VSC?
Do the dry tires have a blanket operating range?
Is the altitude simulated in-game?
Will the game implement the grip differences of a wet rubbered in track?

Does the AI have dynamic tire temperatures?
Does the AI performance scale depending on the weather conditions?

Wheel / Controller Setups
Thrustmaster Control Panel Settings & T300
T300 In-game FFB settings
Greco's in-game wheel settings

Settings to get a linear curve in F1 games

Multiple Questions from Multiple Categories
Racing Line, What gears is overtake most effective and Lean fuel mix and engine wear

Message added by UP100

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

@David Greco CM I have a question after my first full season. Is track rubbering scaled? For example if I go into single race and set free practices at none. Do I get the same grip in qualifying? At the end of a 25%, 50% and 100% race is the track in the same condition?

I'm wandering if the game is scaling it and/or eventually simulating it with no practice sessions and shorter sessions.

Edited by sirio994
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will start always at the same grip in Q and race whether or not you do fp. 

And should not be scaled, examole, end of q3 will have more grip than short q. one shot q has the least grip

  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the perfect rpm when starting in the dry?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Greco CM I won't tell anyone. How is playing with the DualSense, the PS5 controller?

11 hours ago, LILLHELM said:

What is the perfect rpm when starting in the dry?

Around 11500. Just be on the 11.150~11.800 and you're golden. Below 11 and hitting 12 are sub optimal if the constant hearsay I get is to be believed, but I've seen people getting away with a good start even while hitting the 12k mark.

Not overstaying your welcome on 1st and 2nd gear and short shifting your way up to gear 3-4 is more important than fine tuning the throttle on red lights, though. 

On a related note:

  1. Is the SFX beep always the optimal moment to upshift assuming you're on a straight or are there a couple hundredths of a second to gain by waiting a tad more? 
  2. On a hard braking zone, do you guys downshift in tandem or virtually in sync with applying the brakes or do you wait a moment before the first downshift?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LILLHELM said:

What is the perfect rpm when starting in the dry?

 

 

 

3 hours ago, marioho said:

 

Around 11500. Just be on the 11.150~11.800 and you're golden. Below 11 and hitting 12 are sub optimal if the constant hearsay I get is to be believed, but I've seen people getting away with a good start even while hitting the 12k mark.

If you're playing on a controller it should vibrate around the "sweet spot" in the rev range, has done in the last few titles. That's between 10,000 and 12,000, or thereabouts.

Sit in that range, manage the wheelspin at the start and you're golden 🙂 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marioho said:

@David Greco CM I won't tell anyone. How is playing with the DualSense, the PS5 controller?

Around 11500. Just be on the 11.150~11.800 and you're golden. Below 11 and hitting 12 are sub optimal if the constant hearsay I get is to be believed, but I've seen people getting away with a good start even while hitting the 12k mark.

Not overstaying your welcome on 1st and 2nd gear and short shifting your way up to gear 3-4 is more important than fine tuning the throttle on red lights, though. 

On a related note:

  1. Is the SFX beep always the optimal moment to upshift assuming you're on a straight or are there a couple hundredths of a second to gain by waiting a tad more? 
  2. On a hard braking zone, do you guys downshift in tandem or virtually in sync with applying the brakes or do you wait a moment before the first downshift?

Never seen a PS5 in my life yet!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Greco CM

Any chance of an actual high fuel race program in the future.

Be very good to see how race pace is compared to other cars or atleast our team mate.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I've been trying to think of an epic question to ask you and always just come up with nothing, but finally thought of something. 

In normal conditions you get rubber laying onto the ground obviously from the cars which is called "rubbering in", but when you try to drive on this surface in wet conditions it's nearly impossible to drive on it due to lack of grip, hence why the drivers drive off the racing line for grip. Is this something you're going to implement into future titles? Obviously the AI would need reworked in order to have a cross over point where they start to race off line and then back onto it when it starts to dry. I just think this would be awesome to try implement. 

 

Thanks. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Greco CM

I remember reading from posters last year that the online multiplayer car was essentially the Mercedes.

Are you able to confirm if that's the case this year or whether the multiplayer car is a car in its own right? ( i.e handles slightly differently )

It was probably me imagining it but last year set ups made outside of online multiplayer didn't always translate across with the same feel so i just wondered if this was down to the car being slightly different or the difference being different track states, or simply a bit of both?

Yours sincerely

Nerdy set up guy. 😀

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SIMRACER123 said:

@David Greco CM

I remember reading from posters last year that the online multiplayer car was essentially the Mercedes.

Are you able to confirm if that's the case this year or whether the multiplayer car is a car in its own right? ( i.e handles slightly differently )

It was probably me imagining it but last year set ups made outside of online multiplayer didn't always translate across with the same feel so i just wondered if this was down to the car being slightly different or the difference being different track states, or simply a bit of both?

Yours sincerely

Nerdy set up guy. 😀

 

 

hi! 

there were a few differences last year btw the merc and online car, caused by our tool. I have personally checked everything this year to make sure this was not the case anymore, and I am sure the equal handling is 100% the Mercedes. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, inspiretheworld said:

Now I've been trying to think of an epic question to ask you and always just come up with nothing, but finally thought of something. 

In normal conditions you get rubber laying onto the ground obviously from the cars which is called "rubbering in", but when you try to drive on this surface in wet conditions it's nearly impossible to drive on it due to lack of grip, hence why the drivers drive off the racing line for grip. Is this something you're going to implement into future titles? Obviously the AI would need reworked in order to have a cross over point where they start to race off line and then back onto it when it starts to dry. I just think this would be awesome to try implement. 

 

Thanks. 

is very hard exactly due to AI. we would need a lot more data and work to tune the ai. It is one of my hope that one day I will be able to do it. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@David Greco CM Is it practically possible for you to make much more punishing front tyres lock ups consequences for future game(s)? Currently tyre lockups only lead to a 1-2% more tyre wear and a visual effect of smoke. But what if such mistakes can even force you pitting for fresh tyres because of it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, David Greco CM said:

Ye and they are on drugs 😄. I can't show you the files, I can't do a side by side for you guys, but, you have to trust me, this handling, at least on PS4 and PC is 100% last beta. Same for FFB.

Although, for FFB, we will patch a fix, which will make the pneumati trail effect smoother when loading/unloading the tyres.

Really good to have your expertise here,  many thanks and thanks @UP100 for setting this up.  Much appreciated 😀

So are your saying that the Xbox version handling is different to how it was in the final beta.  If so how has it changed and for what reason? 

Cheers.

Edited by Hammerpgh62
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, sergey_blackbird said:

More angle more camber you get, max camber is -3.5°. Usually Pirelli allows max camber not more than -3.5° at fronts, exception is Monaco with camber angle even higher -3.75°.

image.png.ebe70c5fa84d1798f432aa96e3c01bba.png

 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, philappleraily said:

Except the max is on the right of the septup screen and it is labeled -2.50°. Confusing no?

 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:38 AM, sergey_blackbird said:

This abrakadabra with min being max and vise versa is present for years.

 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, philappleraily said:

I know but it continues to be very confusing since you have to slide the cursor to the min on the left to get the maximum negative camber -3.50°!

That being the case they surely would have altered this after all these years.  This one has always proved to be very confusing. @David Greco CM can you clarify this one please and put to bed a long standing area of confusion.  Many thanks. 

I see this had already been answered.  See following post.

Edited by Hammerpgh62
Question answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, David Greco CM said:

 

no no, I did not say that. I say it is math, because of being a negative number, the more negative is of course on the left. we work Min on the left, Max on the right.

It is a NEGATIVE number, -3.5 is less than -2.5

The numbers is what you have to look at, is pretty simple guys.

I think it's still confusing tbh lol

On all other areas of the setup screen the right side increases the area you are looking at.. i.e.

aero - higher aero is on the right. 

Ride height - higher is on the right.

But with camber If we want to increase it we have to move it to the left.  

Just a bit counter intuitive.  It's good to have this clarification so thanks for that but anyone new having not seen this can easily fund that confusing as so many have over the years 🤪

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, kalamazoo123 said:

I think i get it now, but def could be improved!

It’s basically just backwards because they wanted the greater number value on the right in the UI, even though In this instance the higher number does not mean more camber.

This is how I see it as well. It's the one area where the UI is inconsistent in comparison to the rest. 

Edited by Hammerpgh62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 9:32 AM, Akkan74 said:

I use the setups from realsport since 2018. Very good setups for long races. Not the fastest, but well balanced. I like how the car feels during the race by using their setups.

Thanks for the tip that looks like a really useful site and definitely one to keep bookmarked👌

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, PJTierney said:

 

If you're playing on a controller it should vibrate around the "sweet spot" in the rev range, has done in the last few titles. That's between 10,000 and 12,000, or thereabouts.

Sit in that range, manage the wheelspin at the start and you're golden 🙂 

I wasn't aware of this little assist being available for pad users. Thanks for the info.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Hammerpgh62 said:

I wasn't aware of this little assist being available for pad users. Thanks for the info.

Shocking more pad assists!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after a few weeks I did several races online and offline and I'm struggling with the car the first few laps in a 50% race. I'm aware the car handles differently because of the fuel and extra weight that comes with it. But somehow I keep struggling the first few laps, after that it gets a bit better. After the first stop I the car handles like it should.

So, after trying different setups this issue remains for me. I can imagine there are some things I can try to overcome this but I'm stuck atm. Hopefully someone in here is having some suggestions to try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bertje1989 said:

So, after a few weeks I did several races online and offline and I'm struggling with the car the first few laps in a 50% race. I'm aware the car handles differently because of the fuel and extra weight that comes with it. But somehow I keep struggling the first few laps, after that it gets a bit better. After the first stop I the car handles like it should.

So, after trying different setups this issue remains for me. I can imagine there are some things I can try to overcome this but I'm stuck atm. Hopefully someone in here is having some suggestions to try?

There isn't really a lot of information to be going from here to know how you approach the first few laps.

Could it be either

1) Your just lacking a bit of practice driving on cold tyres with heavy fuel ?

2) Your not selecting the optimum fuel/overtake modes at the right point as the AI are pretty quick at the start

3) possible set up issues


When you say your struggling, what are you struggling with specifically ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

There isn't really a lot of information to be going from here to know how you approach the first few laps.

Could it be either

1) Your just lacking a bit of practice driving on cold tyres with heavy fuel ?

2) Your not selecting the optimum fuel/overtake modes at the right point as the AI are pretty quick at the start

3) possible set up issues


When you say your struggling, what are you struggling with specifically ?

Thank you for your quick reply,

I'm struggling with the handling of the car. So, I'm guessing it's a combined problem with my skills and setups. I tried making/using setups with info from this topic which work great. The only problem I'm encountering is that I'm lacking pace the first 2/3 laps. My starts are sometimes good, sometimes bad, but this is something that needs some more practice from my side.

I tried different setups and ride heights as well as on some setups the car seemed to bottom out. But making the car a bit higher didn't help me. So I was wondering if there's something else setupwise to help out or if it's just me need to do more practice.

Many thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bertje1989 said:

Thank you for your quick reply,

I'm struggling with the handling of the car. So, I'm guessing it's a combined problem with my skills and setups. I tried making/using setups with info from this topic which work great. The only problem I'm encountering is that I'm lacking pace the first 2/3 laps. My starts are sometimes good, sometimes bad, but this is something that needs some more practice from my side.

I tried different setups and ride heights as well as on some setups the car seemed to bottom out. But making the car a bit higher didn't help me. So I was wondering if there's something else setupwise to help out or if it's just me need to do more practice.

Many thanks in advance!

Would you say that after 3-5 laps your roughly on pace with the AI?

The AI to me atleast are just very quick at the start and then ease off a touch. If your back on pace after a few laps it may just be a case of practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SIMRACER123 said:

Would you say that after 3-5 laps your roughly on pace with the AI?

The AI to me atleast are just very quick at the start and then ease off a touch. If your back on pace after a few laps it may just be a case of practice.

I have this as wel agains AI as wel ass in Online. But I'm guessing I needmore practice I guess 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bertje1989 said:

I have this as wel agains AI as wel ass in Online. But I'm guessing I needmore practice I guess 🙂

It's probably a reassuring thing if it's just needing practice.

Why not try going onto grand prix mode and selecting a 50% race, do the first 5 laps then click on "restart session" and the car is placed back on the grid and you can start again and do the early laps once more over and over.

Might be a quicker way to practice driving the early part of the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×