Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Thrustmaster T300 FFB loss

Posted (edited)

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Loosing FFB after 8 laps or so on various tracks. First noticed on TT in Vietnam, FFB does not totally fail but drops dramatically. We had the same issue on the 2019 game in Japan.

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

3.       Game-mode? 

TT and online multilayer. (not tested other modes)

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

This is a constant issue in Vietnam, other users are having the same problem on various tracks.

5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

restarted wheel, restarted game.

6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Thrustmaster T300 with TM open wheel add on with T3PA pedals. On PS4

7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

Edited by jono15588

Bug report in full or deleted.

Posted (edited)

@jono15588 What are your FFB settings? As the weight is much heavier on this game by default in fast corners, any setting above 75 will cause the T300 to overload, it overheats internally and goes into self preservation mode by greatly reducing FFB until it's cooled down (which takes quite a few minutes of not driving at all)

To avoid this, keep the wheel dampener setting below 5 (I prefer 1 or 0) and the FFB no higher than 70 or 75 and let me know if it still happens. It's been a very regular issue for me with this wheel but it's not the game itself that's to blame in that case.

Also use the "fan always on" setting to keep the base cooler by holding "mode" on the base and start simultaneously.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 3

Yes @BarryBL I have changed the settings and put the fan to always on. At the lower setting I do not loose FFB anymore however ive only tried these settings for an hour or so of game play. Its not particularly enjoyable to drive with the FFB at 75 but that's only my opinion. I agree with @Worntoathread that its a thrustmaster issue rather than an issue with the game as I also get FFB fade with GT sport. I'd expect better from a £300 to £400 wheel. Nevertheless the original issue seems to have been solved, thanks for your help.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jono15588 said:

Yes @BarryBL I have changed the settings and put the fan to always on. At the lower setting I do not loose FFB anymore however ive only tried these settings for an hour or so of game play. Its not particularly enjoyable to drive with the FFB at 75 but that's only my opinion. I agree with @Worntoathread that its a thrustmaster issue rather than an issue with the game as I also get FFB fade with GT sport. I'd expect better from a £300 to £400 wheel. Nevertheless the original issue seems to have been solved, thanks for your help.

No worries, happy to help.

I do note however that F1 is supposed to be ran at a little lower FFB. I tried 2020 at full strength and about ripped my arms off. Recommended is between 65-85 depending on user

i also use a t300rs with the f1 wheel. I experience no ffb loss and play on 95 overall strength, fan is set to always on since day 1. Perhaps you're wheel base had an failure.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jono15588 said:

The Thrustmaster wheelbase is a step up from the Logitech (having owned G27/G920 and T300) but I can recommend Fanatec over Thrustmaster. However, the Logitech is unassailable for reliability and value. It's not the most faithful wheel in the F1 series, it was better in F1 2014 and earlier, if you can get those games try them (bear in mind the G29/G920 were released in 2015 and won't be listed as a controller but the G25/G27 will be).

Thrustmasters can be okay if respected (use the reduced feedback setting of 75% in the driver for FFB strength and run 100% in-game is what I did) I'm not sure if you would get a better feel running at 100% in driver and 75% in-game? Bear in mind that the logic of that is that you need to reduce the overall FFB strength in EVERY GAME if you go this way around. Always-on fan is recommended, make sure the fan is cleaned if it gets slightly noisy, check the belt tensioner is still okay whilst you are in there. If you don't abuse it, the service can be long. Can't comment on the T500/TS-PC/TS-XW/T-GT but by then you're in Fanatec money easily.

For reference I have the CSL Elite v1.1 wheelbase, it's the entry level Fanatec. It doesn't have full tuning support in Fanalabs but the menu can be used via the OLED on the wheel rim. I have the F1 2020 LE wheel which is a variant of the Formula v2 with nice forged carbon. I am sure the entry level Formula wheel or the F1 Esports wheel would be just as nice to use. 

I use the CSPv1 pedals which were second hand and have intermittent issues with the Hall sensors but I am still working with them. I may decide to get the CSL Elite LC at some point as I only really play F1 and miss (comfortable) left foot braking.

Edited by steviejay69

1 hour ago, HuntingHornet said:

i also use a t300rs with the f1 wheel. I experience no ffb loss and play on 95 overall strength, fan is set to always on since day 1. Perhaps you're wheel base had an failure.

I'll have a little play and try to find a happy medium. I already lowered the on tract and off track affects and that's stopped the clipping.

• Like 1

What I don't understand though is some tracks - Austria, I had no issues.

Or pro-longed gameplay in multiple lobbies - no issues.

But some tracks, Japan ONLY last game, Spain this game seems bad as well which I've done at length - it's an issue.

It's almost as if it's not a wheel issue but some tracks are more impacted than others - for some reason?