Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

On 7/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, SingaporeTrackLizard said:

@BarryBL This bug has been in all F1 games since 2017 iirc. It is caused by the race pace testing program, aka the one where you do 3 laps under a time to get purple. 

Temporary fix is to not do said practice program, although you are leaving an easy 50 R&D points on the table by doing so.

The fuel level does slowly right itself and is correct at the very end of the race... but it's a bit late then.

To be specific. I have a theory as to how it happens.

The game decides strategy from the results of that test. However most players just want the R&D points and thus stick it in rich fuel mix for the 3 laps. 

I do do that practice program like that, but I have another problem. In the race my car saves to much fuel on standard mix and doesn't spend enough on rich mix, so I can go on with rich mix for like 90% of the race distance. Could it be caused by that? 

Here's where this is a problem - as noted in the screenshots for my bug report, the max allowed fuel for me in Vietnam is 39.0 kg, but the default setup exceeds this and starts me with 41.5 kg.  Per the below screenshot, at Spa it's starting me with 36.1 kg and there's a maximum fuel load allowed of 37.7 kg.  In both cases, I got purple results for both the fuel saving program and for the race pace program, and had set my fuel rate to Rich for the race pace program to exceed the lap time target.  So with the same approach to practice programs, I get two totally different results - one where I'm defaulted to overfill, and one where I can still increase my fuel load.

Aside from getting different results, there are two basic problems with this approach in the game design:

1)  The fuel tank on the car should ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME MAXIMUM CAPACITY.  In the real world, they don't redesign the car to have smaller fuel tanks for races where the fuel demands are lower, they just don't fill them to capacity for those races.  It should be up to me, the driver who is deciding on the strategy, to decide whether or not to take a larger than necessary fuel load for a particular race and incur the weight penalty that goes with it. 

2)  If the maximum fuel tank capacity is truly 39.0 kg as shown in the Vietnam screen print, then I should not have been awarded with a purple score for the race pace and/or fuel programs because I obviously could not complete the entire race at target pace while also using fuel at that rate.  

7dd833c0-e7b4-435c-9fcc-c17604bb6dd6_Thumbnail.PNG

• Thanks 1

It is indeed only affected by the race strategy programme. What I do is simulate how I would use fuel in the actual race, that way, it shows accurately how much I am up or down on fuel instead of having to guess with +3 laps. The race strategy programme really is the only useful practice programme, if you know how to use it.

• Agree 1
On 7/14/2020 at 2:15 AM, JKSullivan said:

So we're still pretending this isn't an issue despite multiple reports of people having the same issue?  

It’s not an issue, just use fuel in the race strat programme as you would in a normal race situation. You will most likely start +/- 0.50 fuel.

9 minutes ago, JTTWRL said:

It’s not an issue, just use fuel in the race strat programme as you would in a normal race situation. You will most likely start +/- 0.50 fuel.

I disagree, it's definitely an issue for the reasons I layed out in my post above yours - maximum fuel tank capacity should never change during the season.  My comment about pretending it isn't an issue is tied to the fact that it has been reported by multiple users but they still have it tagged as 'awaiting replication' instead of giving it to the devs to work on.

2 minutes ago, JKSullivan said:

I disagree, it's definitely an issue for the reasons I layed out in my post above yours - maximum fuel tank capacity should never change during the season.  My comment about pretending it isn't an issue is tied to the fact that it has been reported by multiple users but they still have it tagged as 'awaiting replication' instead of giving it to the devs to work on.

If you treated the race strat programme appropriately, you wouldn’t run into this issue in the first place. This happened to me on last year’s game until I figured out why. Have you tried what I suggested? If you have and it’s still an issue, then it should be sent to the devs but if not then it’s mainly the player’s fault for trying to cheat the practice programme.

19 minutes ago, JTTWRL said:

If you treated the race strat programme appropriately, you wouldn’t run into this issue in the first place. This happened to me on last year’s game until I figured out why. Have you tried what I suggested? If you have and it’s still an issue, then it should be sent to the devs but if not then it’s mainly the player’s fault for trying to cheat the practice programme.

Just because you have figured out a workaround doesn't mean it's not an issue - the fact remains that the size of the fuel tank should be the same for every single race, and completing the practice programs the same way in multiple weekends should have the same effect on the suggested strategy.  And then there's the fact that the default strategy puts more fuel in your car than the so-called maximum amount in the first place - basic math skills make it clear that this is also a mistake/bug/coding error/issue, whatever you want to call it.

I also don't appreciate you implying that I am cheating when all I'm doing is calling out yet another bug in the game.

1 minute ago, JKSullivan said:

Just because you have figured out a workaround doesn't mean it's not an issue - the fact remains that the size of the fuel tank should be the same for every single race, and completing the practice programs the same way in multiple weekends should have the same effect on the suggested strategy.  And then there's the fact that the default strategy puts more fuel in your car than the so-called maximum amount in the first place - basic math skills make it clear that this is also a mistake/bug/coding error/issue, whatever you want to call it.

I also don't appreciate you implying that I am cheating when all I'm doing is calling out yet another bug in the game.

I’m not saying you’re cheating, if you look at the delta time on the straight in the race strat programme, especially if you’re running with rich and a different ers mode all the time, you’re going to be gaining more time as you’re going quicker than the game expects you to, which is standard fuel and medium ers. Didn’t mean to imply cheating in that way. 

Again, poor game design decisions or poor implementation/coding of those decisions.  If the intent is for the race pace to be done with those fuel and ERS settings, then the game should lock you into those settings.  They can do it for the qualy program, they should be able to do it for race pace, too.  

And yeah, you did accuse me of cheating, quite clearly in fact.

11 minutes ago, JKSullivan said:

Again, poor game design decisions or poor implementation/coding of those decisions.  If the intent is for the race pace to be done with those fuel and ERS settings, then the game should lock you into those settings.  They can do it for the qualy program, they should be able to do it for race pace, too.  

And yeah, you did accuse me of cheating, quite clearly in fact.

You’re right, they should be locking you into race ERS, but they can’t with fuel, otherwise you would get this same issue, just that your car would be overfuelled. 

If that’s how you interpret what I said, then that’s on you, I don’t really care, have a good day.

Ok, update on my experience. Race 2 of a full season in MyTeam. Similar issue as my first race. 10 seconds into my first lap, I'm at the exact amount of fuel I need to complete the race so have to turn the mix down (below screenshot). I literally had to run lean for the entire race as well as coast where I could reasonable do so. Got purple on fuel practice programme in fp1. If that's what purple gets me, I'm forgoing the resource points to be able to have some fuel in my car come race day! Not a great start to a game mode that I was so psyched to be able to play. Really puts me off wanting to play it.

13 minutes ago, Rango said:

Not a great start to a game mode that I was so psyched to be able to play. Really puts me off wanting to play it.

As JTTWRL says above, it's actually related to how you're completing the race pace program and not the fuel savings one.  I've completed the race pace program for several weekends now by leaving fuel rate in normal mode and not using the ERS at all, instead of just setting fuel to rich from the start of it.  Then at the race start, I have plenty of room left in the tank to add fuel for at least a lap more than the race distance, probably 2 - I'm also completing the fuel program with a purple score, so I'm not leaving any resource points on the table either.

I still contend it's not working as they intended it to, as there's no justification for changing the maximum amount of fuel you can stuff in the tank from race to race.  And technically, if I have to put it in Rich mode to be able to meet the pace, then they should actually overfill the car instead of shortfilling it so I can complete the race at the desired pace. 

But if you want to work around the bug, try that suggestion and see if it works for you.

Dont want to confuse the issue further, but i do my race programme with my fuel set to standard and not using ERS manually (its set on medium). I still get fuel issues in the GP. They disappeared when i dont do the fuel programme.

I can start the race with an excess of fuel the problem is when the bug is triggered the fuel load drops like crazy in standard mix and i have to drive in lean mix unless i max out the fuel tank.

However i will try running eith fuel mix in rich on race programme as suggested above to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by dino78

So in My Team, 50% distance on ps4. Belgium GP. Did what was recommend above and did the race strategy programme in RICH fuel only for 5 laps. Didnt touch or simulate the FUEL programme at all. Start of race (23 laps). My fuel tank has 22.6 laps of fuel. I click right to add more and it drops to 20 laps and warning comes up that the car is underfueled. I cannot raise the amount of fuel at all. So i exit the game and go back in. At this point the game crashes and the ps4 needs a hard restart i.e. take power  cable out of the back of the console as it wouldnt restart for 5 minutes it was stuck. Anyway get back into the game, back on the grid. I try changing the fuel again and again have the same issue of underfueling. So i exit the game go back in and this time leave the fuel as it is, 22.6 laps. I start the race on intermediates. In STANDARD fuel mode and my fuel gauge is going up not down. After 5 laps im +1 laps on STANDARD setting. We get a saftey car, i drop to LEAN mix and when saftey car ends a few laps later im on +3 laps of fuel. For the rest of the race (lap 8 onwards till lap 22) i run in RICH mode and still end up +2 laps over on fuel. I have no idea how thats happen. Anyway im going to try the same thing with the practise programme at next grand prix to see if i can repeat this. Cause i can pretty much run in RICH fuel mode the entire GP, i think.

Edited by dino78

I have repeated the above in the italian gp in My Team.

1. Do race strategy programme in RICH fuel mode.

2. Dont do the fuel strategy programme.

3. On the grid overfuel by 2 laps.

4. Run the entire race in RICH mode and the fuel will remain at +2 laps.

• Codemasters Staff
On 7/9/2020 at 1:26 PM, SingaporeTrackLizard said:

@BarryBL This bug has been in all F1 games since 2017 iirc. It is caused by the race pace testing program, aka the one where you do 3 laps under a time to get purple. 

Temporary fix is to not do said practice program, although you are leaving an easy 50 R&D points on the table by doing so.

The fuel level does slowly right itself and is correct at the very end of the race... but it's a bit late then.

To be specific. I have a theory as to how it happens.

The game decides strategy from the results of that test. However most players just want the R&D points and thus stick it in rich fuel mix for the 3 laps. 

Ahhhh. I always pass it doing a proper race stint run, so i always have perfect strategy, i end up always the race with 0.2 or 0.1 extra fuel, that is how accurate it is if you do it correctly.

• Agree 1

I just had a fuel problem in Australia, my team, 2nd season. I didnt complete the fuel practise programme and it would only let me under fuel the car by half a lap no more or no less, then i done the race and i couldn't use fuel quick enough, ended the race with +3.5 laps of fuel 

On 7/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, David Greco CM said:

Ahhhh. I always pass it doing a proper race stint run, so i always have perfect strategy, i end up always the race with 0.2 or 0.1 extra fuel, that is how accurate it is if you do it correctly.

Regarding that. Maybe make the times a little easier, or restrict the fuel setting to standard.

• Codemasters Staff
On 7/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, SingaporeTrackLizard said:

Regarding that. Maybe make the times a little easier, or restrict the fuel setting to standard.

Restrict no, because if you use it well, it will make a strategy with you using systematically different fuel settings thru a lap.

Times are pretty easy to be honest. I pass easily this test at 106% which is what i am feeling comfortable without having to practice too much. What I find more difficult is the Quali lap test. In some tracks is really hard.

• Agree 1