F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Lighting and shadows downgrade on foliage

On 7/8/2020 at 11:35 AM, GBPolesitter said:

The texture pop in is even worse too. The my team car always looks bad in the garage. Driver selection is as bad as last year too

It sure is. Last year the issue was small enough so that you could learn to ignore it. Now it's impossible to not see everywhere. Menus, grid lineup screen, grid preparations, pit stops, post-race... The amount of texture pop up is insane. 

And there are a lot of FPS problems, too, mostly with replays and cutscenes. And strange screen tearing on PS4 Pro. Both of these issues were in F1 2018 but mostly absent from F1 2019. I've read that Codemasters now have two teams working on their F1 games so maybe 2018 & 2020 were made by the same team and that explains why we've taken a step back from 2019? 

It's not all negative though. In some aspects I feel that the graphics have improved slightly. The draw distance might be better, for example. I first noticed it when I was at the Red Bull Ring. Last year the big bull statue was barely noticeable when driving, it was just a blurry mess somewhere in the background. Now it's so clear and prominent that I felt I could reach out my hand and touch it.

And the image I get is more clear and sharp compared to 2019. Reminds me of Xbox One X videos I've seen of previous F1 games.

15 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

It sure is. Last year the issue was small enough so that you could learn to ignore it. Now it's impossible to not see everywhere. Menus, grid lineup screen, grid preparations, pit stops, post-race... The amount of texture pop up is insane. 

And there are a lot of FPS problems, too, mostly with replays and cutscenes. And strange screen tearing on PS4 Pro. Both of these issues were in F1 2018 but mostly absent from F1 2019. I've read that Codemasters now have two teams working on their F1 games so maybe 2018 & 2020 were made by the same team and that explains why we've taken a step back from 2019? 

It's not all negative though. In some aspects I feel that the graphics have improved slightly. The draw distance might be better, for example. I first noticed it when I was at the Red Bull Ring. Last year the big bull statue was barely noticeable when driving, it was just a blurry mess somewhere in the background. Now it's so clear and prominent that I felt I could reach out my hand and touch it.

And the image I get is more clear and sharp compared to 2019. Reminds me of Xbox One X videos I've seen of previous F1 games.

Could you explain what you mean with texture pop up? I can't think of a suitable translation in German. 

14 minutes ago, SAL_LippiArsenal said:

Could you explain what you mean with texture pop up? I can't think of a suitable translation in German. 

Textures are blurry for a moment before loading properly and becoming clear. Sponsor logos, faces, gloves, umbrellas, trees, buildings, helmets etc. looking like they are from a Playstation 2 game, then after a second or two they load and suddenly look like they are supposed to.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, marts said:

Trees didn't look good in 2019 either, but 2020 they are horrible. The tracks and cars look good, but man... some corner-cutting has been made. Not a fan, not gonna buy 2020.

They just don't interact with the lighting, They bearly have shadows and look like are out of the scene, they should have deep shadows in contrast light scenarios and highlights when hit by the sun. It so bizarre when everything interacts with the sunlight and the trees are flat and some fog overlay them, just looks like a ps3 racing game even they hade some shadows on the trees. Even 2015 have shadows on the trees 😄

Maybe some of you are using or having 'optimisation' applied by your drivers. I have not installed GFE and things look fine (except to echo @TomAAA) in that things look 'washed' or 'brighted' out.

Played with some settings in the hardware_settings_config.xml that some perhaps more knowledgeable (or prepared to experiment) will be able to fiddle with to get the effects you desire.

I would recommend as a starting point removing any driver 'fiddling' or 'auto tuning' that is being applied (goes for AMD (Radeon Settings) and Nvidia) and then seeing where you are.

HTH.

On 7 July 2020 at 5:41 PM, BiohazardBGR said:

Every year the F1 game's visuals improved and 2019 was a huge jump over the early games with the introduction of the PBR lighting. This year unfortunately the lighting in the environment took a dramatic hit on the foliage. Trees no more interact with the light, rim lights and highlights similar to GT sport were removed, resulting in the trees look out of the scene similar to 3d software preview viewport. Compare to the road and other surfaces everything looks defused and flat like during an overcast light. Shadows on the trees no longer look deep and now they look flat or absolutely missing even on high contrast lighting scenarios. In some examples below you can see a big difference. I really hope this is an issue to the early version of the game and the day one patch will fix this because this lighting is a huge step back even 2018 look better over this year. Coddies I really hope you can improve this part of the rather stunning looking game. 

20200707183818_1.jpg

20200707183904_1.jpg

20200707185040_1.jpg

20200707184154_1.jpg

20200707185824_1.jpg

20200707184306_1.jpg

20200707185836_1.jpg

20200707184704_1.jpg

20200707185536_1.jpg

20200707184508_1.jpg

20200707185315_1.thumb.jpg.2cc535571b50d9443dcdefd6cd9e0bba.jpg20200707185726_1.jpg

I knew there was something wrong with the game

the game is downgraded

Unfortunately on Xbox One X with HDR enabled you can't edit the settings to stop it looking washed out like you can on PC 

As for 'pop up' 'lod' issues yeah it seems worse this year. Monza is a good example as you head up to Turn 1, the large glass tower that floats above the track on the left, the glass etc starts loading up as you drive under it 

Edited by TomAAA

Just requested a refund. What with graphical downgrades, microtransactions and the likeliness of seeing this year's new tracks in this game just make me feel meh. How cool is it that we have the Steam refund option, huh?

Worrying how CM don’t appear to be recognising the graphical issues particularly the pop in and pixelated textures 

Being totally honestly, while I can understand how many of you can be bummed with a downgrade on visuals, it looks like you're rarely acknowledging that this was made to improve performance on the whole gamut of hardware this game runs on, as was demonstrated by Digital Foundry. And F1 2020 is aspiring to be a solid esport contestant, where performance is key.

This is a generation where we have coexisting hardware from the wagon that is base Xbox One to the beefed-up Xbox One X.  

Would you rather have better foliage and trees than running at a steadier 60 FPS? If the game was overall lukewarm then ok, I guess. Whatever floats your boat. It is just that I find the complete package a solid entry and considerable improvement over F1 2019 when taking in account the new handling, tweaked AI, new content and new features. Downgraded foliage don't bother me in the slightest all things considered. 

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 4

Anyone actually ran Bahrain or Abu Dhabi at night in 4k HDR?

The sky is pixellated and the track lights flicker like crazy its really bad 

Wasn't like this in 2019

Edited by TomAAA

I agree the overall package is much better and I have to say between the handling, ERS, mirror, split screen, and even the menus are better it is much more then an upgrade in my opinion.

I think people here are a little bit spoiled with codie. As a guy that played Madden in paid leagues in the past EA never listened, their games were just roster updates and bugs and features stayed broke year after year!

They seem to try to make a good game and part of it is ESports and wanting real drivers to like it.

Edited by Gibbs444
  • Like 1

The downgrade is bigger then I thought, not only the trees but the environment textures and geometry have been downgraded. Nick930 did a great video comparing the two games.

Yeah the more I play the more I notice bits that are worse. The sky being a big one, especially when cloudy. Really disappointing. Why bother degrading the PC version, that's what settings are for!!!

It's hard to stomach the downgrade when some of us can run the game easily with better looking trees/vegetation. I can't stand these cartoony/cardboard looking trees.