F1 2020 | 1.07 PATCH NOTES NOW LIVE | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Unrealistically fast practice program times.

Hey, really enjoying the handling and team management in My Team. Thankyou.

I'm have real problems with practice sessions. With the difficulty set so I can achieve lap times around tenth or lower (I'm a new team after all) I'm around half a second off at best from the teams expected lap times. If I adjust the difficulty so I can just about pass the practice programs I'm setting the fastest times in the session, 2.5 seconds faster than my team mate. The top teams are setting times around where the practice target times are set.

Really hope this is something that's being looked into, I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say it's killing the My Team mode for me.

• Agree 9

I’m having the same issue, set difficulty so I could complete race and qualify runs and I’m 5.5 seconds faster than my team mate, so far I’m completing the requirements in P1 and P2, and then redoing quali run and upping the difficulty to get somewhere in the region of my team mate, so far I have only completed Australia, used difficulty of 70 in practice, 100 In the race, qualified 16th finished 13th, seems like we have to fiddle more between sessions now rather than between races. Hope this is fixed soon, as it’s annoying as hell

• Agree 2

geez i thought it was a fluke was doing career mode in a mclaren in fp2 did qualifying and i was massively off annoyingly you can only do one lap now. so as that was my last program to do i just decided to end the practice session then see what the ai did and i was in p1 in a mclaren which doesn't make any sense. go into quali and then end up p9 so the timings definitely need adjusting

• Agree 1

Keep in mind that track progression is an issue as well. If you try to beat the program in the first run of P1 right away, you may struggle but lap times will increase through the weekend.

I waited until midway through P1 or later after struggling early on and was able to be competitive with the time.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, boojar4 said:

Keep in mind that track progression is an issue as well. If you try to beat the program in the first run of P1 right away, you may struggle but lap times will increase through the weekend.

I waited until midway through P1 or later after struggling early on and was able to be competitive with the time.

Can vouch for this. And I think the devs did comment that the game has a model for rubberized track surface, meaning there is indeed a performance difference between a green track and one with rubber laid down over it.

Did the Qualy Pace programme early on P2 and struggled to get inside my expected time frame. Did it again later on P3 and I exceeded my target by 0.9 seconds. 

• Agree 1

Also, maybe we’re not supposed to be able to ace all the practice programmes?

There are an awful lot of r&d points on offer anyway in my team, without even doing the practice programmes. I have been able to do some of the practice programmes but not purple all of them and i think this is by design (or a clever fluke if not). I think if i purple all the programmes i will accumulate r&d points too fast.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Also, maybe we’re not supposed to be able to ace all the practice programmes?

There are an awful lot of r&d points on offer anyway in my team, without even doing the practice programmes. I have been able to do some of the practice programmes but not purple all of them and i think this is by design (or a clever fluke if not). I think if i purple all the programmes i will accumulate r&d points too fast.

I think we are? It is supposed to scale with our car's potential. It scales even with weather: if you leave the garage on dry and it starts to rain, you'll see your target move. I guess this is more of a balance issue, but folks like @BarryBL could clarify.

The amount of points the programmes net you changed as well. In F1 2019 there was no use in doing them all as the amount of points would decrease for each successful programme until the last one gave zero points. Now it seems to be that not only the initial programmes give you more, but you'll also get points for the whole board.

Edit: I think we should be just fine with greening all the programmes, but purpling it should give you a above-expected performance without braking the challange.

Edited by marioho
  • Agree 1

Oh god, that is what is holding me back to enjoy the game. I'm only at Bahrain I already want to give up on the game because it's not balanced to my skills. I thought it was me not being focussed enough but it seems the balance is even more out of center with AI difficulty than other years. I really had hoped they would have paid more attention to this but it even got worse. I really hate the difficulty gaps between sessions. It has almost always been like that in F1 games. One time they hit my sweet spot on launch and then changed it in an update and the game became unenjoyable to play and there was no slider back then. 

Why is that? Other racing games don't seem to have such high AI difficulty gaps between races. Why is it all over the place in F1 games? Even the same track has now different AI difficulty levels based on the session you are in. Really not enjoyable the fiddling with game settings between sessions.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, TheBradwick said:

Hey, really enjoying the handling and team management in My Team. Thankyou.

I'm have real problems with practice sessions. With the difficulty set so I can achieve lap times around tenth or lower (I'm a new team after all) I'm around half a second off at best from the teams expected lap times. If I adjust the difficulty so I can just about pass the practice programs I'm setting the fastest times in the session, 2.5 seconds faster than my team mate. The top teams are setting times around where the practice target times are set.

Really hope this is something that's being looked into, I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say it's killing the My Team mode for me.

I thought I was just **** at this game. It’s almost not fun because of how hard they are. It seems like they aren’t appropriately scaled to the set difficulty.

• Agree 1

I also have this issue. Failed to hit even the green time (P19) for the quali program in the practice 2 session and then qualified 11th..

• Agree 1

Same here. Only started happening when I made a new save. It breaks the game for me.

I'm skipping all training sessions, the times are ridiculous, i cant pass the tyre wear time even trying a fast lap (without managing tyres at all) and on qually and race im above expected position. the trainning is already boring as it is, but with this difficulty its just not worth it.

I cant get green time on qualify practice for 18-19 position, and for the real qualify i get 14-15. on race im even better, finishing 12-13

the difficulty overall is just very very inconsistent.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Indeed. I'm faster than my teammate, but getting green let alone purple practice sessions is near on impossible.

I never bother with tyre wear I just do the rest of the programs did quali pace in bahrain and I actually did acheive a green lap time 

Done a few more of these now and have to say i’m not finding them particularly difficult. Certainly no more than last year. Like i said above I don’t think we should necessarily expect to purple every one of them, but having said that i have achieved purple easily on them without changing difficulty, so I don’t see an issue here.

Maybe down to people trying at the start of FP1 When the track is green as someOne else has suggested?

• Like 1

Just now, kalamazoo123 said:

Done a few more of these now and have to say i’m not finding them particularly difficult. Certainly no more than last year. Like i said above I don’t think we should necessarily expect to purple every one of them, but having said that i have achieved purple easily on them without changing difficulty, so I don’t see an issue here.

Maybe down to people trying at the start of FP1 When the track is green as someOne else has suggested?

I found that did help a little, I had my problem in fp1 at Melbourne. The target time was the faster than anyone had posted by the end of the session. I fiddled around with the difficulty for ages trying to get it to make sense for me. In the end I gave up and moved to fp2 (thinking of advice on here) and it was fine. The target times have been near the bottom of the table for every session since. I'm only on Hanoi, but hopefully it won't crop up again.

• Like 1

I too have had the same issues but got to Spain and passed them all no problem struggled in p1 with the programmes but p2 and 3 I managed to geen and a few purples, I remember reading they had tweaked the rubbering in for 2020. So I’m just gunna wait till p2 to do them 

Am I the only one not experiencing this? 😅 If anything it's the complete opposite for me and I'm even managing to pass and perfect the quali programmes. Something I struggled with in 2019 & 2018. I've maintained my difficulty at 98. 

I haven't really had an issue with times, but the tyre wear tests in the wet? That's just another story - they're literally impossible to pass on a high difficulty.

Yes, it's been confirmed that the rubberising effect has indeed been changed this year. Just take a look at the pinned AMA with the dev here.

Now this doesn't exclude the possibility of they having made the programmes harder, but I've managed to bump the AI up again (99 now) and can green the qualy pace programme with "competent" work and purple it if I try hard enough on P3. P2 is a mixed bag and P1 I don't even bother anymore.

2 hours ago, Azzawon said:

I haven't really had an issue with times, but the tyre wear tests in the wet? That's just another story - they're literally impossible to pass on a high difficulty.

The best tip I can give and that I have just recently implemented is to run a custom setup just for tyre management, since the time requirement is quite forgiving. That and being sparkling clean on the throttle when hitting the apexes - this time being aggressive on the acceleration feels much more punishing. 

This is a 'bug' from last year's game too. Rubbering and all that stuff is a much smaller part of the problem though of course it helps. 

The easiest way to tell? Look at the pole time they are expecting. Look at what actually happens. Drastically different. 

If you get purples in all the practice programs chances are the difficulty will be way too low for everything else. 

I think ERS is a bit too hard or it could just be me because I've always had a problem with it in previous games. I can do the the rest at least on green but quali programme is on another level. It wants me to do a lap time which would put me right behind Mercedes. I was 1.6s off.

Would just like to add too, the AI in practice are still using Rich fuel mix mostly. But some will also do their lap times in lean especially when they are doing a long stint (usually 10 laps). Worth looking at the fuel loads different AI have. You can do this by looking at their wheefrom the instant replay. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Peachrocks said:

The easiest way to tell? Look at the pole time they are expecting. Look at what actually happens. Drastically different.  

I don't think that is the case for a couple reasons. I keep a spreadsheet with my performance since Career mode on F1 2019 and it has a whole section just to keep tabs on my times on Free Practice and Qualifying. While I was at that, "hey why not keep track of the AI times too?"

So since F1 2019 I have a log of my time, the 1st AI with the best performance, the 6th/my rival AI performance, and my teammate's performance on Practice, Qualy, and Race.

Even before that I never thought it was strange for the AI to have way worse times on Practice than on real Qualy. That's because (1) nobody runs on Max fuel mix on practice and (2) just like real life, the AI is not trying to set a perfect time on practice but to test setup changes and get a feeling for the track. On the latter, just take a look at today's practice results and how the standings are all tangled with Perez first, Norris at 14th and a mix of drivers on Soft, Mediums and even Hard tyres. The same happens in the game.

So yeah, the Estimated Pole Time won't ever match the actual pole position time at the end of the qualifying session. They're not intended to. The estimated pole time is what the engineers and the game think would be the best time on that track if everybody run for their lives within the boundaries you're bound to – meaning tyre compound and up to Rich fuel mix only, no access to Max.

Back to my log, I've had practice sessions where top drivers ended up in the midfield and sessions where they got sensible times like if they were racing for real, but the former is way more frequent. Again, just like in real life.

According to my log, the delta between my estimated best lap (not est. pole time) and my result on Qualy Pace programme compared to my actual lap set on the Qualifying session are all consistently close to 0.238 and 0.521 respectively, on average. This last one I believe is the result of having Max fuel mix available on Qualy.

The AI level I bump every session where I land a qualy time 0.2 higher than my teammate. I'm on AI 99 now. 

Edited by marioho

The Quali program at Canada in MyTeam is so unrealistic....