F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Controller vs Wheel

On 8/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, defcon120 said:

I'd like your opinion on turn 8 through 12 on Azerbaijan, I can keep up with my controller ghost up to these turns with the wheel, then I'm 2-3 seconds behind and can't recover it. Seems that the controller is much faster than the wheel in those particular back to back s curves. It would defy physics to turn the wheel as fast as I can flick the controller. Something else I noticed is that to maintain tracton with the wheel setup I had to go + 20 with the throttle leniarity, the controller seems to have more traction control. 

On the controller at Silverstone I can put in a fairly good lap. But on the wheel even with a downshift through maggotts and becketts at Silverstone I’m sure to qualify 1st and win the race using the wheel. 

Same with Baku, on the wheel I am able surgically get super close to the walls and use more kerbs. As far as turning the wheel as fast as a flick of the controller, it tells me it’s all about set up of the wheel and setting up your corner entry. I don’t think I’ve ever turned my wheel anywhere near 180 degrees. Seems our setups are totally different for Baku. I run a very stiff setup that allows me to pretty much snap steer around most of the turns. 

Before I got my wheel I dreaded Monaco Japan and Baku now I welcome and set them in every Ranked and League Race I host. 

Pad is not faster but it has hidden assists that make it more forgiving than a wheel. Pretty much every racing game does this.

The amount of time you put in is more important than equipment. You can be equally fast on either of them.

Edited by MikeV27
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Link to this data?

I can send it. It’s telemetry data. 

1 hour ago, ShelbyUSA said:

I can send it. It’s telemetry data. 

Could you maybe post the graphs to demonstrate your point? I'm sure everyone would be interested to see.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, AlexTheOne83 said:

Why is the pad favored over the steering wheel this year? Wasn't it enough to have already made a game last year with this feature?

I don't play with a wheel . So don't know if the pad is faster than wheel . But what I do know is the both should be equal . The is no reason for a wheel to be faster than a pad and. Vice versa . It should be about player skill that makes the difference we allpay the same price for the game so every one should have the same opportunity 

23 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Could you maybe post the graphs to demonstrate your point? I'm sure everyone would be interested to see.

Excellent. I am waiting for SRT App to be updated or I can use another comprehensive app. I will do another comparison especially for F1 2020 and compare the difference from F1 2019. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 7:10 PM, MikeV27 said:

Pad is not faster but it has hidden assists that make it more forgiving than a wheel. Pretty much every racing game does this.

The amount of time you put in is more important than equipment. You can be equally fast on either of them.

Advantages of pad against wheel:

• a bit earlier full throttle out of slow corners in dry, sometimes quite a bit earlier in full wet conditions. 
  • almost always perfect steering angle, i.e. one can hit an apex quite easily.

Disadvantages of pad against wheel:

• inability to quickly and more crucially precisely changing directions.
  • front tyre wear is pretty much always an issue, due to the nature of sticks of pad and in general tyre wear is higher on controller.

I'd say more or less both are equated each other but to make a step forward driving-wise it's always going to be a wheel and pedal based device.:classic_smile:

• Agree 1