F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Controller vs Wheel

Hello community 

Controller is unbelievable op. Please patch this codemasters. Between 1 and 2 sec. Per Lap, on different tracks. This is a very big problem for League Racing 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 6

The controller is not 2 seconds a lap faster. Probably as balanced as it's ever been between the 2 devices

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Ryan97 said:

The controller is not 2 seconds a lap faster. Probably as balanced as it's ever been between the 2 devices

I agree. I’ve used both pad and wheel today and found both to be very evenly matched. I’m more consistent with a wheel but I’d expect that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, FreakyFastF1 said:

Hello community 

Controller is unbelievable op. Please patch this codemasters. Between 1 and 2 sec. Per Lap, on different tracks. This is a very big problem for League Racing 

I'm equally experienced/skilled with pad and the wheel, testing this I'm within a tenth of a second consistently on both devices. There's absolutely no way pad is seconds faster, if you saw such a difference it was very likely player skill related.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, FreakyFastF1 said:

Hello community 

It’s not you just are just lying because you want the wheel to be op

• Thanks 3

Maybe the OP is just peeved because they are being beaten by some players with a controller , who have simply managed to set their cars up better and have worked out the best racing lines 

I just wish i could afford a wheel to play this game , but cannot justify the cost so i make do with a controller and know i am not as fast or good as a lot of players 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Also this year the joypad allows to go faster than the steering wheel. This thing is unacceptable, with all the money we spend on the game and the peripheral, a game that should simulate and re-propose what happens in reality: we are in 2020 and we would like the performance of the two systems to be at least equal. Thank you
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 8

Why is the pad favored over the steering wheel this year? Wasn't it enough to have already made a game last year with this feature?

12 minutes ago, AlexTheOne83 said:

Why is the pad favored over the steering wheel this year? Wasn't it enough to have already made a game last year with this feature?

What...? The wheel is so much faster in fast direction changes. Are you telling me Codemasters favored the wheel in that part of the game? 😨😨

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I don't really get this. Why do people want wheels to be faster than controllers? Why should one input device be better than the other? Because one of them is more expensive? Well I'm using an "elite" controller so why am I not faster than people with default controllers? They should nerf normal controllers in favor of Elite controllers if the price of our hardware should decide who should be fasted.

And if we go the pay to win route why not complain that the people playing the 70 edition or just as fast as the once with Schumacher edition? How is that fair? Schumi was the fastest. :classic_huh:

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

mmm there something strange

pad vs wheel could be the same of keyboard vs pad in other games

yes, if you are good enought you can drive better with pad vs someone that has the wheel, but there are things that with pad are not managable...

for example:

have 8 button (xbox pad without accelerate and brake that are dedicated) vs 14 button (example g29 without acc and brake)  must give some disadvantage, at the same condition, for manage ers, fuel, menu, gear etc..,to the pad... or not?

without the debate about trajectory and driving style.

Edited by Oasis81

49 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Ahhh, this debate. 

To give you a 'Cliffnotes' on last years discussion, we:

•  Compared lap times of the best players on wheel vs controller - Evenly Matches
  •  Have to take into account a WIDE range of variables - Driver ability, time and effort on pad vs wheel. 
  •  That ALL players should have a even and competitive arena to compete

After 36 hours claiming that pad is better than wheel or wheel being better than pad is just assumptions on your gameplay style and choices. With all respect, its not nearly long enough to even get to a consistant standard and familiarity with the game. It is very much a game based on meritocracy. If you are fast, you are fast, regardless of the equipment you use. I'm better on the wheel than the pad because I practice on that more because its more fun for me. But, I'm pretty close with the pad because of my driving experience and playing racing games. I'm still a midfield driver in a very good racing community regardless. I have good days and bad ones, like in real racing. Some places I'm quick, some I need to practice on. 

There is no competitive advantage over the course of a lap from equipment to equipment. 

At least it took a few hours after launch for someone to complain.

16 ore fa, Costa ha detto:

che cosa...? La ruota è molto più veloce nei cambiamenti di direzione veloce. Mi stai dicendo che Codemasters ha favorito la ruota in quella parte del gioco? 😨 😨

Non al contrario... Dico che il pad è più veloce del volante

On 7/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, Worntoathread said:

I'm equally experienced/skilled with pad and the wheel, testing this I'm within a tenth of a second consistently on both devices. There's absolutely no way pad is seconds faster, if you saw such a difference it was very likely player skill related.

I'd like your opinion on turn 8 through 12 on Azerbaijan, I can keep up with my controller ghost up to these turns with the wheel, then I'm 2-3 seconds behind and can't recover it. Seems that the controller is much faster than the wheel in those particular back to back s curves. It would defy physics to turn the wheel as fast as I can flick the controller. Something else I noticed is that to maintain tracton with the wheel setup I had to go + 20 with the throttle leniarity, the controller seems to have more traction control. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, BarryBL said:

Ahhh, this debate. 

To give you a 'Cliffnotes' on last years discussion, we:

•  Compared lap times of the best players on wheel vs controller - Evenly Matches
  •  Have to take into account a WIDE range of variables - Driver ability, time and effort on pad vs wheel. 
  •  That ALL players should have a even and competitive arena to compete

After 36 hours claiming that pad is better than wheel or wheel being better than pad is just assumptions on your gameplay style and choices. With all respect, its not nearly long enough to even get to a consistant standard and familiarity with the game. It is very much a game based on meritocracy. If you are fast, you are fast, regardless of the equipment you use. I'm better on the wheel than the pad because I practice on that more because its more fun for me. But, I'm pretty close with the pad because of my driving experience and playing racing games. I'm still a midfield driver in a very good racing community regardless. I have good days and bad ones, like in real racing. Some places I'm quick, some I need to practice on. 

There is no competitive advantage over the course of a lap from equipment to equipment. 

Exactly mate 🙏🙏 Thank God someone are able to use sabious words.. Well done @BarryBL 

4 hours ago, defcon120 said:

I'd like your opinion on turn 8 through 12 on Azerbaijan, I can keep up with my controller ghost up to these turns with the wheel, then I'm 2-3 seconds behind and can't recover it. Seems that the controller is much faster than the wheel in those particular back to back s curves. It would defy physics to turn the wheel as fast as I can flick the controller. Something else I noticed is that to maintain tracton with the wheel setup I had to go + 20 with the throttle leniarity, the controller seems to have more traction control. 

A tip for the Pad controller users.. Put 50 % value in Steering Throttle and Braking settings. Improves a little the immersion and the sense of the car 

23 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

A tip for the Pad controller users.. Put 50 % value in Steering Throttle and Braking settings. Improves a little the immersion and the sense of the car 

I must have "defied physics" I dropped a 3 second faster lap with the wheel today, but had the force feedback and wheel damper turned way down.

Omg. I expected this again. Folks. Data doesn’t lie. Pad is faster if you know how to use it. The pad has massive grip advantages due to the code built into the game. The data show there is less slippage both lateral and horizontal loads. Furthermore, codemasters has only built FFB code into controllers only for braking and accelerating so you can fine tune even further with grip advantages. The wheel doesn’t have this as rumble pedals are not supported. I can tell you the wheel has improved this year, thank God. But you will have major challenges if you are completing with a good driver racing with thumbs. 

Edited by ShelbyUSA
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, ShelbyUSA said:

Omg. I expected this again. Folks. Data doesn’t lie. Pad is faster if you know how to use it. The pad has massive grip advantages due to the code built into the game. The data show there is less slippage both lateral and horizontal loads. Furthermore, codemasters has only built FFB code into controllers only for braking and accelerating so you can fine tune even further with grip advantages. The wheel doesn’t have this as rumble pedals are not supported. I can tell you the wheel has improved this year, thank God. But you will have major challenges if you are completing with a good driver racing with thumbs. 

Link to this data?

• Like 1