Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
FORUM MAINTENANCE | 11/05/2021 AM Read more... ×

Gearbox Wear in MyTeam Master Thread

Just wanted to try and see if it made any difference after 1.07 and went to the 2nd gp of F2, Azerbaijan. Gearbox turned yellow after 5 laps of free practice. 

So what is the actual save file name? I can't seem to find it. Is it the game.dat file? 

Anyway, I have the issue in myteam mode and I'm using the G29 wheel.

While I just started season 2 so the wear on the season 1 gearboxes is no longer visible, I ended up using an event gearbox for 3 events on average. I only had the standard Honda durability upgrades and the first minor gearbox durability upgrades. But now I started season 2 and I have the first major gearbox durability upgrade installed and I switched to Renault which had better performance and slightly better durability. Now after only FP1 and FP2 in Australia my practice gearbox is at 14% wear with 35 laps completed.

I suspect the wear is related to the amount of flashbacks used. I use quite a few of them during my races, especially because of the 50% race distance allowing more time for mistakes. I heard other people suggest this as well but my recent experience with FP2 confirmed it for me. I don't know what the wear was before going into FP2 but in FP1 I did all but one of the practice programs plus a few more laps to get to 10 completed laps which means about 22 laps including the in/out laps. But in FP2 I did the race pace program and because it was heavy rain I had to use A LOT of flashbacks to actually make those times. And by a lot a mean a handful of flashbacks for almost every corner on each of the five laps. After that I did another 5 laps to get to 10 laps and used maybe a flashback per lap. While I obviously can't remember how many flashbacks I used during all the races in season 1, I do believe the 2 or 3 times I had about 15%-17% wear after an event was during races in which I used very few flashbacks compared to my average races where I had between 20%-25% wear.

I did FP3 as wel and did another 11 laps including the in/out laps and I used maybe 1 or 2 flashbacks, if any. It resulted in 3% wear on the event gearbox. So based on that I probably went into FP2 with 5%/6% wear.

Edited by GnrDreagon
extra info

I have a major gearbox wear issues. I have Xbox one and I use the Logitech g920 wheel. In my team I’m in monza (season one) and I already used 5 gearboxes, every gearbox lasts around 2-3 events (manual gears) which is ridiculous, in f1 2019 I didn’t have this problem so the problem is not my driving style or flashbacks. This issue really effects the gameplay experience and i will probably have either to start over my team and hopefully this should fix it (to remind u I’m more then half way through the season so it really sucks) or i will have to retire from a lot of races just to complete the season because I don’t have enough gearboxes available. This needs to be fixed ASAP and if there is any info i can provide to help i will gladly deliver it. 

Edited by killergarden1

On 8/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, MAKRacing said:

Just finished season 2 in my team (22 races) and got through 20 gear boxes. Pretty much 1 gear box per race

Litterally same. It’s so annoying and it isn’t my driving becuase last year I was getting through 5 races before hitting 50/60%. 

Hi everyone,

I spend around hour with playing grand prix mode and tried to find out what destroys gearbox the most. In second race of trying I noticed that it is most often destroyed when downshifting. Then I said to myself, that I try three attempts.
1st attempt with automatic transmission
2nd attempt with manual transmission but I try shifting like automatic does
3rd attempt with manual transmission but with crazy downshifting

All three attempts was in Azerbaijan, 5 laps, with G29 steering wheel

As you can see from pictures, 1st and 2nd attempt was pretty similar but in 3rd attempt, i have in turn 2 already 2% on gearbox. I post also a video on YT where you can look on it.

So I think, that downshifting could be a main problem with high wear on gearbox.

Also I think that not only gearbox is problem, but also wear on the other parts looks just enough for 5 lap race.

I hope it helps with investigating this problem.

YT link for my 3rd attempt : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6_8gq5UNwg

1st attempt:

1798542905_1stattempt.thumb.jpg.49220e3937dc7a9b2a97bbd90dac9ca6.jpg

2nd attempt:

165405615_2ndattempt.thumb.jpg.21da43a81a9c72cf944e73b1556ed059.jpg

3rd attempt:

721180840_3rdattempt.thumb.jpg.8428e66c4b1faf69c95ea7b7a2806fa8.jpg

On 8/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, TheScientist903 said:

I started one myteam and one mycareer saves. I had to stop both as I cannot finish one full race cause of the bug. I attached the save so it's either one of those modes or both. Please solve it fast I played a total of 25-30 minutes and no more. @BarryBL

I hope some other friends will provide files as well to solve this as fast as possible.

https://we.tl/t-vV7gVrYZT4 

Hi @TheScientist903,

We've had a look at your savegame. Can you confirm which buttons you have assigned to brake and down shift please. I'm pretty confident this is your save, and it looks like they are mapped to the same button. 

We are still looking into this and investigating. Thank you for your patience on this.

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @TheScientist903,

We've had a look at your savegame. Can you confirm which buttons you have assigned to brake and down shift please. I'm pretty confident this is your save, and it looks like they are mapped to the same button. 

We are still looking into this and investigating. Thank you for your patience on this.

Hello @BarryBL, Correct it's my save. I do auto-gearbox. R2 on PS4 controller for throttle and square for breaking. From all the posts here, I understand mine was the worst looking wear and I somehow still think it has smt. to do with analog button breaking. I use medium traction control asst. and anti-lock breaks, but no auto breaking assist. 

23 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a theory for those affected, which I've managed to replicate. In your custom control scheme, please ensure that 'brake' and 'shift down' have different buttons assigned. Having the same button assigned caused massive gearbox wear.

Recommended:

20200817140914_1.jpg

This provided only 1% gearbox wear after 3 laps.

Not recommended:

20200817140015_1.jpg

This provided 12% wear after 3 laps. 

Result:

When you are braking with the 'not recommended' format, the control map also makes the game think you are constantly shifting down throughout the brake zone, as that's the instruction. Can users check their custom schemes and make the according changes and feed back to me.

What about for manual gear users that experience the same issue with braking and downshift different. I am getting 2/3% wear a lap on my gearbox. PS4. Wheel. 

• Like 1

Hi, @BarryBL I also have the same gearbox issue but my braking and shifting down buttons aren’t the same, the problem is not that u can’t finish a race because of the gearbox. But that the gearbox for some reason takes about 25% of my gearbox wear per race which gives me about 3 races with the same gearbox. I have the exact same setup as f1 2019 and I didn’t have that problem. I believe that the problem is with u (codemasters) other then me, otherwise I would have had the same problem in 2019. And also it can’t be gearbox upgrade because they don’t have that impact and u can get even with 0 gearbox upgrades around 5 events.

6 minutes ago, BenB06 said:

What about for manual gear users that experience the same issue with braking and downshift different. I am getting 2/3% wear a lap on my gearbox. PS4. Wheel. 

Under investigation, replicated and currently testing a potential solution. Downshifting at marginally lower revs is our recommended workaround for now, you should see some notable improvements.

1 minute ago, killergarden1 said:

Hi, @BarryBL I also have the same gearbox issue but my braking and shifting down buttons aren’t the same, the problem is not that u can’t finish a race because of the gearbox. But that the gearbox for some reason takes about 25% of my gearbox wear per race which gives me about 3 races with the same gearbox. I have the exact same setup as f1 2019 and I didn’t have that problem. I believe that the problem is with u (codemasters) other then me, otherwise I would have had the same problem in 2019. And also it can’t be gearbox upgrade because they don’t have that impact and u can get even with 0 gearbox upgrades around 5 events. 

Can you post your controller settings please @killergarden1 and complete a bug report template as well. Please also note that, although different iterations of the same series, F1 2019 and F1 2020 are different games. Do you run manual or Auto? 

4 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Under investigation, replicated and currently testing a potential solution. Downshifting at marginally lower revs is our recommended workaround for now, you should see some notable improvements.

Thank you! So you mean braking abit earlier? How can I downshift and lower revs? 

1 minute ago, BenB06 said:

Thank you! So you mean braking abit earlier? How can I downshift and lower revs? 

Would be timing of your downshifts. Just time them for when you are in the slightly lower rev range, so slower changes. I know that some users tried to get down the gearbox as possible in F1 2019, but this doesn't work in 2020. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Can you post your controller settings please @killergarden1 and complete a bug report template as well. Please also note that, although different iterations of the same series, F1 2019 and F1 2020 are different games. Do you run manual or Auto? 

1.       getting about 3 events with one gearbox instead of 5-6.

2. Xbox

3.      1.07

4.      full qualifying and 50% race on my team career mode (22 race season).

5.       NA

6.       tried to search for a solution and didn't find any and tried to change shifting "style".

7.       Logitech G920

I also run manual shifting.

8-17-2020_5-15-04_PM-wpoea5sa.PNG

Edited by killergarden1

Similar to the advice for @BenB06, I'd recommend altering your shifting patters as a workaround @killergarden1 and shifting slower and at less revs. We are testing a potential solution at the moment, but needs some extensive testing.

5 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Similar to the advice for @BenB06, I'd recommend altering your shifting patters as a workaround @killergarden1 and shifting slower and at less revs. We are testing a potential solution at the moment, but needs some extensive testing.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Do u think that the fact that my gear up and clutch are the same button, affects my gearbox?

2 minutes ago, killergarden1 said:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Do u think that the fact that my gear up and clutch are the same button, affects my gearbox?

Potentially, if you are using manual gears. Consider trying to unbind them as an experiment

13 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Potentially, if you are using manual gears. Consider trying to unbind them as an experiment

Gear up and clutch being the same button is the default, though. Clutch will me manually engaged by the user only on race start and leaving the box.

20 minutes ago, TheScientist903 said:

I have changed the controls accordingly and I'm giving a try. 

Hi @BarryBL, I changed the shift down button (although i am not using it). Speking for the free practice of F2, Azerbaijan, there was no excessive wear. Gearbox still looks green. So this looks like it solved the issue for my case. It seems the car was trying to double shift down or smt. while I was trying to break. I will still finish the quali and the race and edit this. I cannot believe I couldnt play the game all this time because of such reason. How stupid of me. 

3 minutes ago, TheScientist903 said:

Hi @BarryBL, I changed the shift down button (although i am not using it). Speking for the free practice of F2, Azerbaijan, there was no excessive wear. Gearbox still looks green. So this looks like it solved the issue for my case. It seems the car was trying to double shift down or smt. while I was trying to break. I will still finish the quali and the race and edit this. I cannot believe I couldnt play the game all this time because of such reason. How stupid of me.  

Honestly @TheScientist903, I just stumbled on the idea and tested it. Don't worry, was more a 'random idea' than a thought. But we'll take the solution.

Agreed @marioho, probably won't work. Good point 👍

Update for auto-gearbox users. My problem was breaking and down-shifting being on the same button. I though when using auto-gearbox the shifting buttons would be inactive but they were not. This seemed to have solved it. 

@BarryBL, I finished the whole f2 gp weekend without any excessive wear thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m still confused because some races I get ~12% gearbox wear and others I get ~25% and I just can’t see what I’m doing differently from race to race. I’m racing on manual gears with a CSL Elite wheel. I’ll try downshifting more gently but the fact that some races I’m getting wear about where I’d expect makes me wonder if this is the problem.

As an example, I had 12% wear on a brand new gearbox after Silverstone, and then 24% after just qualifying at Hungary.