Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Gearbox Wear in MyTeam Master Thread

@BarryBL Here's my saved game from a PS4 in case you guys still need it.

https://we.tl/t-8RSadd28Gg

Bug Report following the template.

1. Excessive amount of wear in the gearbox, making it last at most 3 races until reaching 60% of wear. I have 2 out of the 3 possible upgrades for gearbox reliability, so it should last longer than 3 races. The last race I did, the wear went from 80% to 100% after like 15 laps in Italy (I'm running out of gearboxes for this season, so I'm using old ones).

2. PS4

3. 1.07

4. My Team, full calendar. 50% race, full qualy. Gearbox: manual and suggested gear.

5. I've been seeing this excesive amount of wear throughout this first season that I'm running in My Team, that's why I decided to upgrade the gearbox reliability, but after two upgrades nothing changed. I already raced 15 races, and I only have 1 new gearbox left for the rest of the season.

6. I didn't try any workaround for this just yet. I think I am aggressive when it comes to shifting down, but still with this amount of wear I don't think the problem's just me.

7. I used controller until Azerbaijan in My Team (included). And after that, I used a Logitech G29 wheel.
My setup in controller: 

Brake: L2
DRS: triangle
Clutch/pit limiter: triangle
Gear up: cross

Gear down: square

For wheel the setup is more or less the default one.

8. Don't have any but my saved game. But I could make a video if you need me to.

20 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a theory for those affected, which I've managed to replicate. In your custom control scheme, please ensure that 'brake' and 'shift down' have different buttons assigned. Having the same button assigned caused massive gearbox wear.

Recommended:

20200817140914_1.jpg

This provided only 1% gearbox wear after 3 laps.

Not recommended:

20200817140015_1.jpg

This provided 12% wear after 3 laps. 

Result:

When you are braking with the 'not recommended' format, the control map also makes the game think you are constantly shifting down throughout the brake zone, as that's the instruction. Can users check their custom schemes and make the according changes and feed back to me.

It would appear this has fixed the problem. My accelerate/brake was X/Square which was also up/down shift. I play on 25% and was averaging 80% wear per race and failures on occasions. I Just did China in my team and the wear was only 7% after the race (14 laps)

***** how is this not been fixed yet? The game is out for nearly 2 months. The game is just unplayable this way.

• Disagree 1

On 8/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, GrevenP said:

***** how is this not been fixed yet? The game is out for nearly 2 months. The game is just unplayable this way.

Because they have trouble replicating it so they can't actually figure out what is happening?

• Agree 1

J'ai corriger la configuration des touches, qui en effet posais problème.

Je joue en boite automatique sur PC, et en effet, malgré la boite automatique, si la touche accélération et freinage correspondent aux mêmes touches que pour monté ou descendre les rapports de vitesse, cela usent beaucoup, beaucoup trop la boite de vitesse. Je pensais, à tord, que le faite de joué en automatique, le problème de doublon des touches serais corrigés automatiquement. Pensez donc à vérifier cela surtout si comme moi, vous effectuer vous même les configurations des touches (Je joue sur PC mais avec manette PS4)

Cependant, bien que l'usure de la boite de vitesse soit réduite, 25% sur 18 tours au lieu de 71%, cela me semble tout de même beaucoup.

J'ai fini la première saison My Team avec l'utilisation de 42 boites de vitesse, 1 boite lors des essais libres et 1 boite lors de chaque Grand Prix, avec bien entendu les pénalités qui vont avec, moins 5 places sur la grille de départ sur les 21 Grand Prix, seul au premier Grand Prix (Australie) j'ai pu profité de ma pole position.

Avec cette nouvelles configuration, ma boite de vitesse dur 3 ou 4 Grand Prix, mais pas plus et surtout avec le risque au quatrième Grand Prix de ne pas le finir a cause du risque d'abandon a cause de cette boite de vitesse.

3 ou 4 Grand Prix c'est encore trop peut comparé à l'usure normal de la boite de vitesse prévu pour 6 Grand Prix.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:55 PM, BarryBL said:

Would be timing of your downshifts. Just time them for when you are in the slightly lower rev range, so slower changes. I know that some users tried to get down the gearbox as possible in F1 2019, but this doesn't work in 2020. 

Think you just identified the problem. I tried to shift down slower and this doesn't cause any excessive wear. Problem is that I'm also alot slower that way and not really feel I'm racing but just cruising around. 

Think the fix for you guys is to go back to the gearbox settings of F1 2019.

Everyone slams down the gearbox as that's the quickest and that's what we've always done.

So instead of expecting us to change our driving style we already have for 10 years, how about you just change your mechanics back.

• Disagree 1

Two reasons.

1) The change was made to make the experience closer to reality under the constraints of the game engine. You can easily find George Russell roasting F1 2019 for the extra rotation you would get by downshifting like your life depended on it and teaching Checo in one of their streaming sessions that you need to downshift extra for the car to rotate properly. The change was well received.

There's a 9 page long pinned thread on the main forum with David Greco going deep into their reasons for the new handling model.

2) Quite preposterous to request a roll back because you can't adapt. Most did. I believe you can too.

Let's throw a third while we're at it.

3) I like it better this way so naturally will disagree with people requesting the downshift bonanza of the last titles to be reinserted.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Fact is that its still alot quicker plus a fact that the extra rotation trick is still in this game. Only effect it has is ruining career mode where it's roasts your gearbox.

I only suffer from it in career and I'm not the only one. Seem to me that this was just implanted very poorly. 

1.       Gearbox WEAR

2.       PC - ultra settings - 144+ fps ( in case is linked to fps although noticed that consoles has same issues at 60fps)
3.       1.07 - new my team since 1.07 , bought the game and played online on 1.06 first
4.       My team , Grand Prix

5.       Replication :

• Driver/Team :  Albon/Red Bull - Honda package ( least durability on my team )
  • Track : Catalunia , Spain
  • Assists : ABS and medium traction control , manual gearbox with suggested gear 
  • Driving style - downshift same like IRL F1  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NOnfnjgMw )
  • Results:
  1.  5 lap race            - 9% gbox wear -  1.8% per lap - gearbox should last for 10 races before reaches 90% wear
  2.  17 lap race  25%   - 18% gbox wear - 1.05% per lap - gearbox should last for 5 races before reaches 90% wear
  3.  33 lap race  50%  -  40% gbox wear - 1.21% per lap - gearbox should last for 2 races before reaching 80% wear , 2.25 for 90%
  4.  66 lap race  100% - 7% gbox wear at end of lap 10 -  0.7% per lap -  46.2% estimated wear at end of race - gearbox lasting 2 races before reaching  92.4% wear

6.       Tried with flashbacks and no flashbacks , tried with  clutch bound to gear up ( G29 wheel) and clutch bound to clutch pedal - no difference 
7.       G29 
8.       No , no need to record 2hrs of footage .

Files attached are midsession save , profile save , i can upload 

savegame@midsessions0_KOSFIDKYNVC0.RBQ

savegame@midsessions0#QKRHMYXE

savegame@profile#NXDSMWW.BWW

savegame@profile#QKRHMYXE

3 hours ago, Gabe1abz said:

1.       Gearbox WEAR

2.       PC - ultra settings - 144+ fps ( in case is linked to fps although noticed that consoles has same issues at 60fps)
3.       1.07 - new my team since 1.07 , bought the game and played online on 1.06 first
4.       My team , Grand Prix

5.       Replication :

• Driver/Team :  Albon/Red Bull - Honda package ( least durability on my team )
  • Track : Catalunia , Spain
  • Assists : ABS and medium traction control , manual gearbox with suggested gear 
  • Driving style - downshift same like IRL F1  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NOnfnjgMw )
  • Results:
  1.  5 lap race            - 9% gbox wear -  1.8% per lap - gearbox should last for 10 races before reaches 90% wear
  2.  17 lap race  25%   - 18% gbox wear - 1.05% per lap - gearbox should last for 5 races before reaches 90% wear
  3.  33 lap race  50%  -  40% gbox wear - 1.21% per lap - gearbox should last for 2 races before reaching 80% wear , 2.25 for 90%
  4.  66 lap race  100% - 7% gbox wear at end of lap 10 -  0.7% per lap -  46.2% estimated wear at end of race - gearbox lasting 2 races before reaching  92.4% wear

6.       Tried with flashbacks and no flashbacks , tried with  clutch bound to gear up ( G29 wheel) and clutch bound to clutch pedal - no difference 
7.       G29 
8.       No , no need to record 2hrs of footage .

Files attached are midsession save , profile save , i can upload 

savegame@midsessions0_KOSFIDKYNVC0.RBQ

savegame@midsessions0#QKRHMYXE

savegame@profile#NXDSMWW.BWW

savegame@profile#QKRHMYXE

Your data are faulty, mate, because clutch is bound to gear up by default. Barry showed brake/reverse bound to gear down. Please test that.

25 minutes ago, TurkeySloth2107 said:

Your data are faulty, mate, because clutch is bound to gear up by default. Barry showed brake/reverse bound to gear down. Please test that.

I'm not so sure about that. Clutch being mapped to the same button as gear up is the default, or at least when playing on a pad. And that's for a reason.

In the game, much like in real F1, the clutch is only engaged when you're pulling out of a standstill – basically, only on race starts and when leaving the box. So even if you had a dedicated button to the clutch, mashing in all scenarios other than race starts and pit getaway should do nothing.

There is no conflicting inputs messing up with gearbox wear just because of that. Now having the brake or whatever other function also bound to the upshift/downshift button can only end in disaster. 

Hi everyone,

a couple of days ago I made a pole about this gearbox problem. Since then I have been trying lots of things.

But it think i found a solution, at least for myself. what I've done to help this is, braking first then wait about a second or so and then start shifting down. this worked for me in my team career and driver career. i went from 2% per lap to about 1% in 5-6 laps.( 50% race distance). it is not the engine I tried it with the mercedes honda and ferrari engines all with one gearbox update/upgrade and a personal upgrade.

I hope this helped you,

have a good day.

2 hours ago, DJTrancis said:

Hi everyone,

a couple of days ago I made a pole about this gearbox problem. Since then I have been trying lots of things.

But it think i found a solution, at least for myself. what I've done to help this is, braking first then wait about a second or so and then start shifting down. this worked for me in my team career and driver career. i went from 2% per lap to about 1% in 5-6 laps.( 50% race distance). it is not the engine I tried it with the mercedes honda and ferrari engines all with one gearbox update/upgrade and a personal upgrade.

I hope this helped you,

have a good day.

Haha that's exactly what Senna used to propose. That the driver must reign in the urge to downshift for an instant when they get on the brakes.

Anyway.

What were you doing before? Braking and downshifting simultaneously or one following the other with the tiniest of gaps?

@marioho

ohh, I didn't see that sorry.

anyway.

I downshifted almost at the same time as I would brake. therefore being in very high rmp throughout all the corners.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, TeS Roland said:

Fact is that its still alot quicker plus a fact that the extra rotation trick is still in this game. Only effect it has is ruining career mode where it's roasts your gearbox.

This mirrors real life though. In the short term it would be quicker for real F1 drivers to downshift quickly as the extra engine braking would mean they could brake later. The reason they don't is that they'd destroy their gearboxes. I'm really struggling to see a good argument for going back to an inferior way of modelling this in game.

must say after changing how i downshift in the game my wear has been much better, i started my season again as i was on 75% after 2 races and now Think i'm on 50% in first season on gearbox one coming into Zandvoort with 1 gearbox durability upgrade . i don't do any running in P3 as i've got everything boxed off in P1+2 so on the other gearbox so its short qualiy and 50% races.

• Like 1

@BeardedBerk. Zandvoort is the 5th entry in the calendar, right? If so I think your gearbox wear is on par with mine and I never experienced this bug. Hope that one lasts for you as having an unreliable gearbox is no joke!

What changes did you make to your downshifting?

1 hour ago, marioho said:

@BeardedBerk. Zandvoort is the 5th entry in the calendar, right? If so I think your gearbox wear is on par with mine and I never experienced this bug. Hope that one lasts for you as having an unreliable gearbox is no joke!

What changes did you make to your downshifting?

Yeh it's the 5th GP, didn't finish Hanoi as I was abysmal at it and kept hitting the wall so bailed with 5 laps left.... Simply just slower going through the gears under breaking, not a massive difference but has deffo made the wear a lot less extreme that my first attempt at my team

On 8/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, BarryBL said:

Under investigation, replicated and currently testing a potential solution. Downshifting at marginally lower revs is our recommended workaround for now, you should see some notable improvements.

Hi @BarryBL, are we any closer to a solution for this issue?

6 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue with downshifting at high revs which caused a lot of gearbox wear and while this is not something we expect players to do we’ve reduced gearbox wear in this case to make it less punishing.

If people still experience issues post v1.08 then please let us know and give us as much information as possible and we can look at the fixes that we have added and hopefully update.

You are right  ,

I tested with less aggressive downshifting (patch 1.07) and only got 9% wear in a 50% race in myTeam with Renault Package. 

The way I did it is brake first and then downshift like your life depends on it so you get the desired gear for the apex and acceleration phase.

Previously I was downshifting from the moment I touched the brakes and then keep the gear required for the corner but that was resulting on 40% wear in a 50% Race.

I have not tested the time delta between the 2 methods.

What was making me think that it was a bug was the fact that  the Practice gearbox had a reasonable wear while the event gearbox was 4-5 times the wear for the same amount of laps , however we forget that in with practice gearbox you do several simulated outlaps/inlaps  easy acclimatisation lap , easy short shift and lift and coast fuel program , and only ers program and race pace at full beans . Event gearbox takes the hit with P3 when I do the full qually sim and the full beans qually and race .

Curios to test the aggressive style downshift to see the wear difference between 1.07 and 1.08 as I have done that , might only test  25% , 50% race  and 10 laps of 100% race . I dont think anyone plays myTeam/myDriver with 5 laps race.

1.07 testing results with Red Bull (Honda package least durability) on Barcelona dry with manual aggressive downshifts in Grand Prix Mode.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gabe1abz said:
  •  5 lap race            - 9% gbox wear -  1.8% per lap - gearbox should last for 10 races before reaches 90% wear
  •  17 lap race  25%   - 18% gbox wear - 1.05% per lap - gearbox should last for 5 races before reaches 90% wear
  •  33 lap race  50%  -  40% gbox wear - 1.21% per lap - gearbox should last for 2 races before reaching 80% wear , 2.25 for 90%
  •  66 lap race  100% - 7% gbox wear at end of lap 10 -  0.7% per lap -  46.2% estimated wear at end of race - gearbox lasting 2 races before reaching  92.4% wear

Edited by Gabe1abz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue with downshifting at high revs which caused a lot of gearbox wear and while this is not something we expect players to do we’ve reduced gearbox wear in this case to make it less punishing.

If people still experience issues post v1.08 then please let us know and give us as much information as possible and we can look at the fixes that we have added and hopefully update.

How does this help people using automatic gears?

10 hours ago, Goggz98 said:

Check your control scheme. You won't be downshifting at high revs with automatic gears. 

On 8/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a theory for those affected, which I've managed to replicate. In your custom control scheme, please ensure that 'brake' and 'shift down' have different buttons assigned. Having the same button assigned caused massive gearbox wear.

Recommended:

20200817140914_1.jpg

This provided only 1% gearbox wear after 3 laps.

Not recommended:

20200817140015_1.jpg

This provided 12% wear after 3 laps. 

Result:

When you are braking with the 'not recommended' format, the control map also makes the game think you are constantly shifting down throughout the brake zone, as that's the instruction. Can users check their custom schemes and make the according changes and feed back to me.

Edited by ThunderCats101

11 hours ago, Goggz98 said:

Are you still reporting the issue post 1.08 @Goggz98