Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Gearbox Wear in MyTeam Master Thread

I just raise the same issue. Even in Driver Career I cannot finish a race without retiring from damaged gearbox on F2 cars. 

I have been playing sims for years and had not had that happen. 

What is your race percentage? I have mine at 50%. Maybe a scale bug?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michalito said:

I just raise the same issue. Even in Driver Career I cannot finish a race without retiring from damaged gearbox on F2 cars. 

I have been playing sims for years and had not had that happen. 

What is your race percentage? I have mine at 50%. Maybe a scale bug?

Mine is at 100%.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm well I can’t be certain without the HUD to see your throttle/brake inputs but from the vid it looks to me like you might be downshifting a split second before hitting the brake? 

It’s most notable into Turn 1 & both hairpins - the nose of the car only lowers when you’re already in 7th gear & it also looks like you’re spamming the downshifts in the early phase of the braking zone such that you’re hitting the rev limiter with each downshift from 8th all the way to about 4th-3rd by which point you’ve then slowed enough to not bounce off the rev limiter? 

Remember too that with much less engine braking in this game compared to the last one there is very little to be gained from such aggressive downshifting & would certainly put more strain on the ‘box because you’re using it, rather than the brakes to slow down (at least initially).

It’d be pretty obvious from the telemetry, I reckon - but given it’s not currently working on My Team, the only suggestion I have for you is to try being more deliberate with your downshifts (particularly in the heavy braking zones), making sure to only start downshifting once you’ve already started braking & instead of downshifting as fast as it’ll go, try counting your way down the gears with each shift. 

In any case, other people have reported similar problems with excessive wear so maybe it is indeed a bug - but I will get around to testing it out for myself at some point over the weekend & report back! 

Disclaimer: definitely not an expert 🧐 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, StarckRacing said:

When do you shift? Max revs or at optimal revs?

most of the time optimal revs

3 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Hmmm well I can’t be certain without the HUD to see your throttle/brake inputs but from the vid it looks to me like you might be downshifting a split second before hitting the brake? 

It’s most notable into Turn 1 & both hairpins - the nose of the car only lowers when you’re already in 7th gear & it also looks like you’re spamming the downshifts in the early phase of the braking zone such that you’re hitting the rev limiter with each downshift from 8th all the way to about 4th-3rd by which point you’ve then slowed enough to not bounce off the rev limiter? 

Remember too that with much less engine braking in this game compared to the last one there is very little to be gained from such aggressive downshifting & would certainly put more strain on the ‘box because you’re using it, rather than the brakes to slow down (at least initially).

It’d be pretty obvious from the telemetry, I reckon - but given it’s not currently working on My Team, the only suggestion I have for you is to try being more deliberate with your downshifts (particularly in the heavy braking zones), making sure to only start downshifting once you’ve already started braking & instead of downshifting as fast as it’ll go, try counting your way down the gears with each shift. 

In any case, other people have reported similar problems with excessive wear so maybe it is indeed a bug - but I will get around to testing it out for myself at some point over the weekend & report back! 

Disclaimer: definitely not an expert 🧐 

thanks for the help anyways, i will take note of my downshifts and try to change them a little .

I just came of the F1 2019 game to play 2020 and used the same driving style. There is a clear difference in durability on the gearbox! I'm not running high revs and are shifting optimal revs. Yet I still have to switch gearbox every second event, sometimes after just one event.

Yes I do use flashbacks, I'm still very new and not as good as many others. So I need that help, since I'm driving with as little assist as I can manage (it gives me the most speed).

Did some searching on it; and it looks like it also was an issue in the beginning with F1 2019.

It just seems very odd and very Buggy!

• Like 1

I just chalk it up to my team being new...I'm curious to see what kind of effect a fully upgraded durability tree has on it.

I am also getting this issue with gearbox durability. I tried auto and manual and the gearbox loses 3-5% durability per lap which is insane when I am playing on 50% races. I have tried multiple myteam saves, one with 0 gearbox durability upgrades and one with 1 upgrade. In one save, I got to 99% durability from just the 50% Australian race. the first save, I used a flashback, but the durability issues occurred before any flashbacks. On my second save it is on 25% race with the same gearbox durability issues.

Will raise to developers. Thanks for the good reporting guys.

To update here, in MyTeam, there will be a certain amount of high gearbox and engine wear to be expected. Not to this degree for sure, but we add this in to encourage users to not just think of pure performance, but to seriously consider Durability too. From my Career mode Experience (so since the R&D tree became a feature), that I just want to concentrate on pure performance.

Also, another point. In the previous iterations of the series, using quick downshifts to gain an advantage became something some players use. As @David Greco kindly mentioned to players, this is a thing of the past, and correct timing is important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HyperSwiftX said:

I am also getting this issue with gearbox durability. I tried auto and manual and the gearbox loses 3-5% durability per lap which is insane when I am playing on 50% races. I have tried multiple myteam saves, one with 0 gearbox durability upgrades and one with 1 upgrade. In one save, I got to 99% durability from just the 50% Australian race. the first save, I used a flashback, but the durability issues occurred before any flashbacks. On my second save it is on 25% race with the same gearbox durability issues.

Are these both on full 22-race seasons?

1 hour ago, Mazix11 said:

Are these both on full 22-race seasons?

Yup, both on full 22-race seasons.

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

To update here, in MyTeam, there will be a certain amount of high gearbox and engine wear to be expected. Not to this degree for sure, but we add this in to encourage users to not just think of pure performance, but to seriously consider Durability too. From my Career mode Experience (so since the R&D tree became a feature), that I just want to concentrate on pure performance.

Also, another point. In the previous iterations of the series, using quick downshifts to gain an advantage became something some players use. As @David Greco kindly mentioned to players, this is a thing of the past, and correct timing is important. 

So will this be fixed or adjusted in a patch? being careful in F2 and still losing my gearbos on the final lap of every feature race...

The issue is likely to be that we are all used to slamming down the box under braking, you cannot do that this year as you just over-rev the engine, also holding on to a gear for too long whilst up shifting will cause wear.

It's more realistic this way.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, SirSenna said:

The issue is likely to be that we are all used to slamming down the box under braking, you cannot do that this year as you just over-rev the engine, also holding on to a gear for too long whilst up shifting will cause wear.

It's more realistic this way.

Even driving conservatively in manual or auto, will cause 3% of wear to my gearbox per lap, so I don't think that is the cause of the wear.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, BarryBL said:

1 hour ago, HyperSwiftX said:

Even driving conservatively in manual or auto, will cause 3% of wear to my gearbox per lap, so I don't think that is the cause of the wear.

Well, driving conservatively and using the brakes more to downshift slightly slower does reduce the wear way way more but I still think it is possible for it to be adjusted.

Thanks for the update and raising the issue to the dev team @BarryBL

I hope our friends are acting fast about this cause the game is totally unplayable. 100% wear and DNF after 8 laps in Australia and 27% wear after 7 laps of FP3 in Bahrain. It's impossible to play without a fix. 

Strange as my gear box lasted the 6 races in my team with still 50% wear on it. This is on my team with the Honda engine. The durability department has all the first columns activated from the start for me.

Posted (edited)

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Gearbox wear is incredibly high. Had DNF on the 8th lap in Australia with 100% gearbox wear. (With FP3 and Q1&2 it's around 28 laps in total.) I am on auto gearbox but still...
2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

1.03 on the game screen but when i check from the ps4 main menu, the update past says it's 1.04. very confusing. 
3.       Game-mode? 

my team

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

I guess going into Bahrain Qualification with 27% wear after FP3 is enough. I might try new saves but I don't think it will change.
5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 
6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

PS4 joypad. 
7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears. 

First SS shows I am about to start quali of the second gp. 

And the second SS shows the first gearbox died in 28 laps. I hope I am doing this right.

1464837610_F12020_20200712174646.thumb.jpg.c5d2b2fbb0310ced9fc28c6193ba7ae7.jpg634706967_F12020_20200712174704.thumb.jpg.c85b42277f57c1013a1eb7c0bca5b8da.jpg

Edited by TheScientist903

Posted (edited)

i think it's fairly safe to say this is an update 1.03 issue as everyone who's uploaded vids of early release versions of the game, on any race distance setting, are not having this issue and myself and all my friends playing on xbox which is still on version 1.02 have no issues at all. In fact I have the opposite problem whereby I'm doing my team mode with honda engine & 100% distance on everything and my first gearbox, with no developments, is only wearing 10% a weekend!

Edited by veyronfan

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

I'm driving manual on 100% length in MyTeam and my gearbox is also wearing drastically after every race. I'm having to take a new gearbox nearly every race with my gearbox wear ranging anywhere from 50% - 90% which was before adding any gearbox R&D.

I am spending all my R&D on durability and have since managed to get Gearbox Durability 2 upgrade on the car, but even that is making very little difference, still getting about 50% wear each race. All the other components of the engine are wearing at a natural rate though? I've also never had this problem on F1 2019 and I'm driving exactly the same way. 

I understand it's a new team and I wouldn't expect my gearbox to last 6 races anyway, but for it nearly to be blowing after 1-2 races each time (especially with durability upgrades on the car)  is crazy and killing what otherwise seems a very enjoyable and well thought through career mode!

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

MyTeam Career

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Reviewed wear each race. Anywhere between 1%-3% wear a lap

5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

Tried turning the engine down, tried to slightly adapt my upshifts/downshifts

6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Thrustmaster 150 wheel

7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.  

No

I'm only playing with 25% Race Distance in My Team, but am doing Normal Qualifying Mod. I had to change my first Gearbox after just three races, taking my first penalty. The next racer and first with new Gearbox, I deliberately didn't run any laps in P3 to save the Gearbox. In Q1 of Qualifying, went out did my lap, came in and checked the screen and after doing 1 lap the new Gearbox is at 10% wear. Really??? 10% wear after just one lap? So if I make it through Q3, I'm going to be at what 30% wear on an Engine that needs to do 6 whole weekends?

On 7/11/2020 at 9:07 PM, BarryBL said:

I've noticed some seriously Gearbox wear in the Driver Career as well.

Using a Logitech G920 + Manual Shifting

First race in my team, 37% of gearbox wear, is there anyway to reduce that? I was only able to install one durability upgrade, how can I enable the rest?

Thanks

Yes this is ridiculous and has been like this for last few games. Gearbox wear is ridiculous and u will be lucky if it doesnt fail before the end of the third race. In 2017 the only thing you could do was upgrade your gearbox durability as fast as possible then focus on engine upgrades etc. You had to sacrifice your entire first season of r and d on durability (falling far behind the other teams in the process). For 2019 they made this even more frustrating by making sure that if u did this the regulations would change for durability b4 the end of the season so at least some of your hard work would be lost.

Now rather than toning it down as advised several times in this forum they have made it even more stupid and frustrating by making it so that you cant just upgrade your gearbox right from the off, you have to gradually do all durability upgrades as you cabt see all of them. Now they also fail too :( 

Just frustrating and really takes away the fun. 

• Disagree 1