Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Gearbox Wear in MyTeam Master Thread

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Played 2 100% races in My Team mode and gearbox is already at 80%
2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

My Team Career Mode
4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

N/A
5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

NIL
6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Thrusmaster Tx Leather (This has no relevance)
7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

image.thumb.png.326e66c562c915752895f0867c05b499.png

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Hengz said:

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

Played 2 100% races in My Team mode and gearbox is already at 80%
2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

My Team Career Mode
4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

N/A
5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

NIL
6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

Thrusmaster Tx Leather (This has no relevance)
7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

image.thumb.png.326e66c562c915752895f0867c05b499.png

I just did a weekend at Vietnam (continuing my team career mode) ordering a new gearbox for quali and race. The wear is already at 50%. At this rate, Im gonna be using 22 gearboxes man

Stay off the kerbs, That includes the red & white ones 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Stay off the kerbs, That includes the red & white ones 😂

As much as I enjoy the joke, this is very painful for me to play as I am not the most consistent driver in F1 games and I tend to use many many flashbacks (like countless). To see a gearbox die within a weekend sure is painful and dreadful

Posted (edited)

I hear ya... Was just trying to make light of what is clearly a frustrating situation. 

Thinking about it logically, there is probably an element of the myteam car starting with a pretty unreliable gearbox anyway requiring you to spend R&D points upgrading - similar to 2019. 

Then if you’re not shifting at the right times it’s probably exacerbating the problem? Given I’ve not seen any other bug reports relating to gearbox wear, maybe it’d help in working out if this is actually a bug or if a change of technique when shifting will spare your ‘box a lil punishment? I’m happy that to take a look at a few laps of yours if you want to upload a vid & give ya my 2c. 

One thing I definitely think is worth trying is auto gears & seeing if that wears out the gearbox in a similar way? 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Just cuz

1 hour ago, Guga_Cyr said:

I hear ya... Was just trying to make light of what is clearly a frustrating situation. 

Thinking about it logically, there is probably an element of the myteam car starting with a pretty unreliable gearbox anyway requiring you to spend R&D points upgrading - similar to 2019. 

Then if you’re not shifting at the right times it’s probably exacerbating the problem? Given I’ve not seen any other bug reports relating to gearbox wear, maybe it’d help in working out if this is actually a bug or if a change of technique when shifting will spare your ‘box a lil punishment? I’m happy that to take a look at a few laps of yours if you want to upload a vid & give ya my 2c. 

One thing I definitely think is worth trying is auto gears & seeing if that wears out the gearbox in a similar way? 

Logically speaking I understand you, which is why when I started My Team Career, I chose Mercedes and during the 1st interview had some focus on reliability. 

From my 1st Screenshot, you could see that my engine wear is pretty decent (those are all the 1st set, didnt change them at all).

Attached (hopefully. Been having issues whereby I am unable to upload anything) is a lap during my Chinese GP weekend. My gearbox wear this weekend seems to be rather ok even though it is at 30+% (probably part of the game)

Im guessing I did not use as many flashbacks as I did in other races.

Rate my shifts as you like but I personally dont think it is that bad 

P.S. The lap may not be that good😅 so shifts may be bad

I have the same problem:

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

3rd Race and already 3rd gearbox. I just tried Vietnam and is degrading about 5% per lap, with no flashbacks. Bahrain was a new gearbox and 75% at the end of a 25% race, with 2-3 flashbacks. 

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

My Team, 22 race season, Honda engine, no durability upgrades as yet.

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Reviewed the wear over the first 3 races, different sessions. Even during practice without flashbacks the wear was still averaging 5% wear per lap

5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

As above

6.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

PS4 Gamepad being used on a PC

7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

None

17 minutes ago, APB44 said:

I have the same problem:

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here. 

3rd Race and already 3rd gearbox. I just tried Vietnam and is degrading about 5% per lap, with no flashbacks. Bahrain was a new gearbox and 75% at the end of a 25% race, with 2-3 flashbacks. 

2.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

3.       Game-mode? 

My Team, 22 race season, Honda engine, no durability upgrades as yet.

4.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

Reviewed the wear over the first 3 races, different sessions. Even during practice without flashbacks the wear was still averaging 5% wear per lap

5.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

As above

PS4 Gamepad being used on a PC

7.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

None

Seems like there's a scaling bug somewhere then, it's completely different from what I'm seeing. I'm also doing my team with Honda, 25% races and no durability upgrades yet, my first gearbox only has around 20-30% wear after the first four weekends.

I just raise the same issue. Even in Driver Career I cannot finish a race without retiring from damaged gearbox on F2 cars. 

I have been playing sims for years and had not had that happen. 

What is your race percentage? I have mine at 50%. Maybe a scale bug?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michalito said:

I just raise the same issue. Even in Driver Career I cannot finish a race without retiring from damaged gearbox on F2 cars. 

I have been playing sims for years and had not had that happen. 

What is your race percentage? I have mine at 50%. Maybe a scale bug?

Mine is at 100%.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm well I can’t be certain without the HUD to see your throttle/brake inputs but from the vid it looks to me like you might be downshifting a split second before hitting the brake? 

It’s most notable into Turn 1 & both hairpins - the nose of the car only lowers when you’re already in 7th gear & it also looks like you’re spamming the downshifts in the early phase of the braking zone such that you’re hitting the rev limiter with each downshift from 8th all the way to about 4th-3rd by which point you’ve then slowed enough to not bounce off the rev limiter? 

Remember too that with much less engine braking in this game compared to the last one there is very little to be gained from such aggressive downshifting & would certainly put more strain on the ‘box because you’re using it, rather than the brakes to slow down (at least initially).

It’d be pretty obvious from the telemetry, I reckon - but given it’s not currently working on My Team, the only suggestion I have for you is to try being more deliberate with your downshifts (particularly in the heavy braking zones), making sure to only start downshifting once you’ve already started braking & instead of downshifting as fast as it’ll go, try counting your way down the gears with each shift. 

In any case, other people have reported similar problems with excessive wear so maybe it is indeed a bug - but I will get around to testing it out for myself at some point over the weekend & report back! 

Disclaimer: definitely not an expert 🧐 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, StarckRacing said:

When do you shift? Max revs or at optimal revs?

most of the time optimal revs

3 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Hmmm well I can’t be certain without the HUD to see your throttle/brake inputs but from the vid it looks to me like you might be downshifting a split second before hitting the brake? 

It’s most notable into Turn 1 & both hairpins - the nose of the car only lowers when you’re already in 7th gear & it also looks like you’re spamming the downshifts in the early phase of the braking zone such that you’re hitting the rev limiter with each downshift from 8th all the way to about 4th-3rd by which point you’ve then slowed enough to not bounce off the rev limiter? 

Remember too that with much less engine braking in this game compared to the last one there is very little to be gained from such aggressive downshifting & would certainly put more strain on the ‘box because you’re using it, rather than the brakes to slow down (at least initially).

It’d be pretty obvious from the telemetry, I reckon - but given it’s not currently working on My Team, the only suggestion I have for you is to try being more deliberate with your downshifts (particularly in the heavy braking zones), making sure to only start downshifting once you’ve already started braking & instead of downshifting as fast as it’ll go, try counting your way down the gears with each shift. 

In any case, other people have reported similar problems with excessive wear so maybe it is indeed a bug - but I will get around to testing it out for myself at some point over the weekend & report back! 

Disclaimer: definitely not an expert 🧐 

thanks for the help anyways, i will take note of my downshifts and try to change them a little .

I just came of the F1 2019 game to play 2020 and used the same driving style. There is a clear difference in durability on the gearbox! I'm not running high revs and are shifting optimal revs. Yet I still have to switch gearbox every second event, sometimes after just one event.

Yes I do use flashbacks, I'm still very new and not as good as many others. So I need that help, since I'm driving with as little assist as I can manage (it gives me the most speed).

Did some searching on it; and it looks like it also was an issue in the beginning with F1 2019.

It just seems very odd and very Buggy!

• Like 1

I just chalk it up to my team being new...I'm curious to see what kind of effect a fully upgraded durability tree has on it.

Will raise to developers. Thanks for the good reporting guys.

To update here, in MyTeam, there will be a certain amount of high gearbox and engine wear to be expected. Not to this degree for sure, but we add this in to encourage users to not just think of pure performance, but to seriously consider Durability too. From my Career mode Experience (so since the R&D tree became a feature), that I just want to concentrate on pure performance.

Also, another point. In the previous iterations of the series, using quick downshifts to gain an advantage became something some players use. As @David Greco kindly mentioned to players, this is a thing of the past, and correct timing is important. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

To update here, in MyTeam, there will be a certain amount of high gearbox and engine wear to be expected. Not to this degree for sure, but we add this in to encourage users to not just think of pure performance, but to seriously consider Durability too. From my Career mode Experience (so since the R&D tree became a feature), that I just want to concentrate on pure performance.

Also, another point. In the previous iterations of the series, using quick downshifts to gain an advantage became something some players use. As @David Greco kindly mentioned to players, this is a thing of the past, and correct timing is important. 

So will this be fixed or adjusted in a patch? being careful in F2 and still losing my gearbos on the final lap of every feature race...

The issue is likely to be that we are all used to slamming down the box under braking, you cannot do that this year as you just over-rev the engine, also holding on to a gear for too long whilst up shifting will cause wear.

It's more realistic this way.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, SirSenna said:

The issue is likely to be that we are all used to slamming down the box under braking, you cannot do that this year as you just over-rev the engine, also holding on to a gear for too long whilst up shifting will cause wear.

It's more realistic this way.

Even driving conservatively in manual or auto, will cause 3% of wear to my gearbox per lap, so I don't think that is the cause of the wear.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, BarryBL said:

1 hour ago, HyperSwiftX said:

Even driving conservatively in manual or auto, will cause 3% of wear to my gearbox per lap, so I don't think that is the cause of the wear.

Well, driving conservatively and using the brakes more to downshift slightly slower does reduce the wear way way more but I still think it is possible for it to be adjusted.

Thanks for the update and raising the issue to the dev team @BarryBL

I hope our friends are acting fast about this cause the game is totally unplayable. 100% wear and DNF after 8 laps in Australia and 27% wear after 7 laps of FP3 in Bahrain. It's impossible to play without a fix. 

Strange as my gear box lasted the 6 races in my team with still 50% wear on it. This is on my team with the Honda engine. The durability department has all the first columns activated from the start for me.

Posted (edited)

Gearbox wear is incredibly high. Had DNF on the 8th lap in Australia with 100% gearbox wear. (With FP3 and Q1&2 it's around 28 laps in total.) I am on auto gearbox but still...

1.03 on the game screen but when i check from the ps4 main menu, the update past says it's 1.04. very confusing. 
3.       Game-mode? 

my team

I guess going into Bahrain Qualification with 27% wear after FP3 is enough. I might try new saves but I don't think it will change.

PS4 joypad. 

First SS shows I am about to start quali of the second gp. 

And the second SS shows the first gearbox died in 28 laps. I hope I am doing this right.

1464837610_F12020_20200712174646.thumb.jpg.c5d2b2fbb0310ced9fc28c6193ba7ae7.jpg634706967_F12020_20200712174704.thumb.jpg.c85b42277f57c1013a1eb7c0bca5b8da.jpg

Edited by TheScientist903

Posted (edited)

i think it's fairly safe to say this is an update 1.03 issue as everyone who's uploaded vids of early release versions of the game, on any race distance setting, are not having this issue and myself and all my friends playing on xbox which is still on version 1.02 have no issues at all. In fact I have the opposite problem whereby I'm doing my team mode with honda engine & 100% distance on everything and my first gearbox, with no developments, is only wearing 10% a weekend!

Edited by veyronfan