F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Overtake button as hold rather than on/off

Having played the game for a bit last night, one bit that i think could be improved is the Overtake button.

Currently you press it to activate & then press it again to turn it off. I find this quite cumbersome and think it would be better if there was option for it to only work when the button is held down. This stops it being accidently left on at the end of a straight and is more in keeping with how its usually used which is for a couple of seconds early in the straight. 

I'm not sure how its used in real life, but i don't think it would hurt to add it in as an option

• Agree 11

I think the one/off button would be best, because otherwise if you are using a wheel for example, you have less grip on that hand for steering in a corner etc. So, with respect, i disagree.

As an Option would always be good 😊👍

• Agree 5

Well the on off function is nice as it is but an idea would be to integrate an option to deactivate the OT button when hitting the brake like the DRS also does.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 7/8/2020 at 1:43 PM, GioProductions said:

I think the one/off button would be best, because otherwise if you are using a wheel for example, you have less grip on that hand for steering in a corner etc. So, with respect, i disagree.

As an Option would always be good 😊👍

Optional for sure although this new ERS is based of feedback from Lando, right? And didn't his engineer tell him to hold the OT button for 4 secs last weekend? Food for thought there 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, martbloke said:

Optional for sure although this new ERS is based of feedback from Lando, right? And didn't his engineer tell him to hold the OT button for 4 secs last weekend? Food for thought there 🤔

I did see later on that video on Youtube and that was strange indeed "Hold the button for 4 seconds" :classic_blink:

In real life they hold the button, indeed. I don't mind the on/off toggle, but wouldn't mind the hold function either.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, GTRaser.at said:

Well the on off function is nice as it is but an idea would be to integrate an option to deactivate the OT button when hitting the brake like the DRS also does.

But you wouldn't always want OT to be disabled when you touch the brakes.

• Agree 1

In real life, it is a "push and hold" as shown by Norris in Austria. So I think at least having the option to do so would be great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, GTRaser.at said:

This would be super useful as an option. I definitely think that everyone would benefit from more flexibility to set it as they prefer it. Have a 1) on/off toggle, 2) hold only, and 3) on/off toggle with auto off when brakes are pressed. Everybody wins.

• Agree 1

Can see this happening at some point maybe when they've got most of the first wave of patches complete

I think in real life they have both options and it's controlled by the engineers in the pit lane. For instance this is Lando Norris last 2 laps at the Styrian Grand Prix. You can hear the engineer instructing him either "single press" or "hold for x seconds"

https://streamable.com/f1vfsq

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, ragequit1 said:

I think in real life they have both options and it's controlled by the engineers in the pit lane. For instance this is Lando Norris last 2 laps at the Styrian Grand Prix. You can hear the engineer instructing him either "single press" or "hold for x seconds"

https://streamable.com/f1vfsq

Yes. I believe "single press" activates it for a couple of seconds while "hold" activates it for as long as it's pressed. Either way I don't think it is a push to turn on / push to turn off kinda thing. 

Edited by tibtak
  • Agree 3

I vote for push and hold or at least the option for either.

I have forgot to turn it off a number of times and totally drained the battery.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, BillyDaKid said:

It also changes the way the car behaves going into a braking zone, since you're getting an additional 160 horsepower.  Definitely should be an option to have it as push-to-hold, or toggle.

• Agree 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, DrDraken said:

It also changes the way the car behaves going into a braking zone, since you're getting an additional 160 horsepower.  Definitely should be an option to have it as push-to-hold, or toggle.

Also makes it harder to apply the throttle out of corners

I watched that video of Lando Norris in Austria and he is clearly told to "hold it" for a few seconds. It's current implementation of on/off toggle, certainly doesn't fit with this. It just makes it a faff to use. The most effective way to use it as a brief burst for a few seconds coming at the start of a straight to get you up to v-max quicker, having it as a hold is just much simpler way to use it. In real life they wont be using it through corners or in traction zones. 

Maybe the on/off toggle is easier for controller users ( i use a wheeel) but there should definately be the option at least

• Agree 2

Having at least a choise of an option would be good. On/Off switch or push&hold. Furthermore, we already had push&hold mechanics in KERS age (2013?), it worked perfectly 🙂

There has been another thread suggesting copying the McLaren system of a single press for a short burst (3s?) or holding for longer. I'd prefer this to holding it down all the time personally.

Does anyone know what approach what other F1 teams use?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

There has been another thread suggesting copying the McLaren system of a single press for a short burst (3s?) or holding for longer. I'd prefer this to holding it down all the time personally.

Does anyone know what approach what other F1 teams use?

I think this would be quite a good idea. There were suggestions that using the OT button for small bursts of acceleration for like 1 second out of corners wasn't really what it should be used for. Your idea along with how fast it depletes the battery, would eliminate a little of this and make people use it even more strategically.

However, I still like how it is functioning atm so if it was to stay as is, then an option of toggle or push and hold for people to choose would be most welcome.

Both options should be in the game imo. To cater for all players. 

IRL - It wouldn't surprise me if all teams are different in how they use the overtake button. Remember those crazy slots they had when they had to put their entire hand over it? 

• Agree 2

I think in the end, Codemasters will not change it. I remember with the 2019 game, one hot topic was the one were we did ask to bring back the Co-Op championship mode... you all know the end result..

• Sad 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, BillyDaKid said:

I vote for push and hold or at least the option for either.

Me too, I hope they add an option to press and hold when needed, like the old kers.

Id like to be able to see if the car infront is regenerating  electricity for ERS as you do IRL. Theres a red light at the back of the cars if they in regeneration mode so driver behind knows for safety reasons.

2 hours ago, dino78 said:

Id like to be able to see if the car infront is regenerating  electricity for ERS as you do IRL. Theres a red light at the back of the cars if they in regeneration mode so driver behind knows for safety reasons.

I think I've seen it. I was behind someone and his tail lights flashed and I passed him like nothing.

I think you have two options here. Either a push and hold like the old KERS system, or overtake is deactivated when you press the brakes, either method will solve the problems we are having.

• Agree 1