Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2020 Codemasters Anti Cheat Measures

Yesterday i was practicing time trials very hard at Spielberg. My best time is 1.06.03...there´s a long way to go yet but what makes me really angry is that the top of the leaderboard is now owned by someone with the handle "Berrinha" who did an impossible 1.01...Bottas pole last weekend was 1.02.9!!!

I´ve talked to a few more experienced F1 players and they said the guy is known cheater. I didn´t even KNOW it was possible to cheat in F1 series. Sad enough, 10 minutes of google showed that it´s completely possible to use cheats and more...it´s amazingly easy!

I don´t really know if this is the right forum, but what is Codemasters doing to prevent such a thing??

Thanks!

Edited by fviero
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great and interesting topic 👏🏻

It’s a bit tricky to prevent this issue, at least on PC. I don’t think you can cheat as easily on Xbox / PS4 / Google Stadia, on PC a lot players uses mods to get the latest liveries and advertisements on the tracks etc.

A fairly simple anti-cheat solution would be a quick scan of the game files, if they have been tampered with in anyway you could get a warning / pop up when launching the game.

Problem with this solution is mod support, I can’t think of a good anti-cheat solution that would also support mods.

Would love to hear if some of you have any suggestions to this issue.

Cheers!

Edited by erikhh78
1 hour ago, erikhh78 said:

Great and interesting topic 👏🏻

It’s a bit tricky to prevent this issue, at least on PC. I don’t think you can cheat as easily on Xbox / PS4 / Google Stadia, on PC a lot players uses mods to get the latest liveries and advertisements on the tracks etc.

A fairly simple anti-cheat solution would be a quick scan of the game files, if they have been tampered with in anyway you could get a warning / pop up when launching the game.

Problem with this solution is mod support, I can’t think of a good anti-cheat solution that would also support mods.

Would love to hear if some of you have any suggestions to this issue.

Cheers!

This is how it works right now. I guess he found a way to bypass it.

I’ve seen you can download some kind of trainer that modifies game files. You can add additional grip and have unlimited ERS.

i’m fine with people using that on their career mode / my team, but there should be something in place to prevent it online.

Maybe its too costly for codies to implement 

The name and shame rule seems to be particularly odd. 

I don't see any issue calling out a nickname /handle/nom de plume which is publicly available and visible. 

But agree a real name shouldn't be published before any investigations by Codemasters. 

Although UK Government has just called out Russia for cheating!! 

@Pin6all_Wizard I shared my take on it recently here. It doesn't really matter if it is only and internet alias or their real name; as long as there is a real person behind that namertag, someone can always tinker and find out a way to compromise him. Even if their real identity is never revealed, their account can be compromised, passwords stolen and so on. 

People talk about how cheaters should have their ranks stripped or times deleted. Mate, I don't think that. If it's being confirmed that they cheated, they should be straight out banned for life, hands down.

It is not a matter of being lenient or too permissive with cheaters. It is just that there are institutional or congruent responses for rule exploits, and there are shady non-judiciously responses that the community may take once someone is exposed for allegedly scummy acts. You don't need a practice of publicly exposing users for the former to work, and you risk too much the occurrence of the latter if you allow cheaters and potential cheaters to be singled out on public platforms like an internet forum.

And we need to bear the distinction between "verified" cheaters and possible cheaters in mind. I advocate for harsh punishments for confirmed cheaters, even harsher than the ones a few passionate users around here call upon them. Straight out ban, I don't care if they legitimately shelled out legitimate money for the game and its online functionality. A cheater is a cheater. Do I find it fair to have their account hacked or their inbox bombed with people unloading on them? Nah, that ain't cool.

Possible cheaters are in a even more vulnerable position. Just imagine having your PSN account blocked for a chargeback you did not do but that SEI detected for some reasons. That is an institutional response for a breach of T&C of use of Sony's online service, but just the headache to go about setting your record straight and restoring the status quo... Now just imagine getting internet slaps from internet discontent users for your unverified cheating? No use, mate.

Naming & shaming does not help fixing the issue for real. In a way, the community risk way more to lose than the potential gains there are for naming and shaming cheaters.  

• Agree 1
3 minutes ago, UweFalk said:

the problem is not the AI. that can be solved via good setups.

the problem is : there is a cheat/patch that allows you to drive in rain as if it's sunny dry california surftime. about 20 sec faster than the rest.
in multiplayer you will never ever beat a driver using such a patch.

codemasters allows too many many cheats and patches like that - and thats brings the fun of online competition to the minimum.

PLEASE CODEMASTERS :
add a laptime control oriented on the real life "best laps" ... so that noone can use such cheats/patches in any multiplayer race.

lets be fair : WHERE is the fun when i can change handling into like it's dry?
for solo play at home time thats okay for the fun! times. but for online competitions it's a desaster that unrealistic times are possible.

look at my topic "unrealistic lap times"

This has nothing to do with the question in this thread. There are other threads about cheating. Please post your coment there.

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, MisterJesus said:

Why not benchmark known esports racers and YT celebrities. Times above theirs which are +1 second, and unknowns are unverifiable and on a Separate leaderboard 

Absolutely.  And my €2cts, CM should establish fastest lap time based on Real World pole times and the best gaming times for each circuit - F1 and F2 .  After all it is supposed to be a roughly accurate game.  With lock down, many of us have been following the Esports races and the best drivers are becoming household names.  CM must have a pretty good idea of who they are and what is achievable.

Anything faster, I would say 0.5 second, is on a separate league table as unverified.  It would be then up to the driver to actively prove their time to CM staff by submitting game logs etc etc.

Unfortunately the T&Cs are a little sparse; found only 1 mention of cheating and no sanctions etc:

• technical and usage information/analytics. Our success relies on us producing games that our customers want to play. To help us to ensure we make the very best games we may collect and analyse the data that we hold to find out what is most likely to appeal to individual customers of our Games, the Site and Services this will enable us to enhance Codemasters Games or services and this information will also enable us to detect cheating and activities that ruin the experience of players using our games, security risks, fraud and other unlawful activity;

>It doesn't really matter if it is only an internet alias or their real name; as long as there is a real person behind that namertag, someone can always tinker and find out a way to compromise him. Even if their real identity is never revealed, their account can be compromised, passwords stolen and so on.

I'm afraid if you put an id in a public domain, then it is open to be displayed - which it is - and by extension have attention drawn to it and perhaps even be commented on.  Perhaps the cheaters reckon they are untouchable because of the policy??  And presumably those achieving the incredible times want to draw attention to themselves??  Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.

But the cheaters do need the book throwing at them - and game license withdrawn.

Edited by Pin6all_Wizard
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

I'm afraid if you put an id in a public domain, then it is open to be displayed - which it is - and by extension have attention drawn to it and perhaps even be commented on.  Perhaps the cheaters reckon they are untouchable because of the policy??  And presumably those achieving the incredible times want to draw attention to themselves??  Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.

Yes, I have my PSN Id and internet alias publicly displayed here and am a potential target for someone with ill intent. The same goes for everybody online.

That's why it is a two part rule. It is singling out someone (naming) and accusing them of being a scummy cheater (shaming). Posting a screenshot with your username or gamertag in any other context is ok, perfectly normal. The same can be said about discussing the state of multiplayer and the flagrant cheating in general. The issue arises when you identify an user and outs him as a cheater. Naming & shaming.

• Agree 1

>The issue arises when you identify an user and outs him as a cheater. 

Yes.  I agree you can't or shouldn't identify the real person name and details.  Of course who is setting the bar??  The Police identify suspects before any court case and release what may be an innocent name.

If you've got a friendly MP, perhaps some assistance and parliamentary privilege🤔🤔

CM should be able to release real names after an investigation. But there is little in the T&Cs.

And gamers should be able to discuss and draw attention to online IDs??  Perhaps to congratulate a good lap or call out something perhaps dubious. 

I think this is on the same level as piracy since in the end it will mean people leaving the game resulting in a loss of income for the company. If you share the game for free and get caught you can get sued for millions at the worst, doing the same to cheaters like this sounds only fair to me in comparison.

But, I sense there's more behind all of this since the codies aren't doing anything about it.

35 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

I think this is on the same level as piracy since in the end it will mean people leaving the game resulting in a loss of income for the company. If you share the game for free and get caught you can get sued for millions at the worst, doing the same to cheaters like this sounds only fair to me in comparison.

But, I sense there's more behind all of this since the codies aren't doing anything about it.

I think effective anti-cheat measures just don't stack up in the ROI calculations at the HQ. Dirt Rally is another game with infested leaderboards. There's plenty of stage times of 30 seconds or so on a stage 10 kilometers long, and have been for years on end.

Hackers and cheaters will always find ways so it's very difficult to stop them but doing nothing just leaves the field open.

I can see in this weeks event one player being close to 5 seconds faster with all assists than one of the esport players without assists. If the codies doesn't realise this is a cheater then I guess they just don't care. If that's the case I'm out, I'll demand a refund and never look back to the game.

• Sad 1

>If the codies doesn't realise this is a cheater then I guess they just don't care. If that's the case I'm out, I'll demand a refund and never look back to the game.

Agree. I don't think they care. I've sent a couple of emails to the CM head office, one congratulatory, and the replies read like a civil servant response - getting blanked and completely devoid of anything.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, DennisGundersen said:

Ok i did a 1.04.788 but yes it is still along way from 1.01 so are they cheatting codemaster og is that time posible

A 1:01 is not possible at Austria on any Platform. The individual did a time that could be believable if you're naive. If they did a 0:58 or 0:59 well that would be a smoking gun. Flying just under the radar by doing a 1:01 to the average folk.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, TurkeySloth2107 said:

The person's a known, habitual cheater and should be banned.

I don’t agree, because “My Team” now earns XP and certain XP levels award pitcoins which technically have monetary value as you can purchase 50,000 for £34.99 (for example)

I would therefore say that could be considered as theft/fraud.

That should be something Codies should  about and they probably so, it just all depends on the size of the gnat bite. Is it worth the investment to defeat them. Cost/benefit equation. The answer probably is NO.

Edited by TeenierNeilb69
14 hours ago, Pin6all_Wizard said:

>If the codies doesn't realise this is a cheater then I guess they just don't care. If that's the case I'm out, I'll demand a refund and never look back to the game.

Agree. I don't think they care. I've sent a couple of emails to the CM head office, one congratulatory, and the replies read like a civil servant response - getting blanked and completely devoid of anything.

Just by the way, you can modify the quote block or select a specific part of a message. Like this! 

image.png.09dfaeefd0166617fa8fdfaec7c22fcc.png

Southam's customer service isn't probably going to be able to assist you with much F1 related except for packaging, billing and such problems 🙂 

• Haha 1