Dirt Rally 2.0 PS5 PSVR Patch?

Posted (edited)

Does anyone with knowledge of programming think it would be possible for a PS5 patch that adds VR support to the game? I was under the impression it was on the table at some point but it had to be scrapped since the game was already taxing on the PS4 hardware. From what I understand, the PS5 will "Boost" PS4 games with its SSD, is it also possible they could release VR support since they have the groundwork done for pc?

I usually play this game on PS4 with the PSVR headset just so I dont have to mount the TV a couple inches from my face.

Edited by Bullpupguy
Forgot to put "2.0" after Rally in title.

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

No plans for this at this time, sorry. If that changes, I'll let people know.

Is it technically possible? I know by the time PS5 rolls around Dirt 5 will be the focus, content-wise but It would still be great to see that patch for DR2.

18 minutes ago, Bullpupguy said:

Is it technically possible? I know by the time PS5 rolls around Dirt 5 will be the focus, content-wise but It would still be great to see that patch for DR2.

Technically possible and practically possible are two different things.

Regarding VR, it was designed specifically for Oculus hardware (and Steam got a side benefit), so who knows how much needs to be done to build a PlayStation compatible version.

• Thanks 1

Anykind of patch upcoming for PS5?
I mean performance upgrade, at least 4k textures.

4 hours ago, MJV1973 said:

Anykind of patch upcoming for PS5?
I mean performance upgrade, at least 4k textures.

That would be awesome!

As much as I would love possibly VR on PS5 or some type of performance upgrade, I think we need to accept that this game is basically done as far as support goes.

It was released over a year ago, CM supported it for over a year and rolled out numerous patches for it which is great. But it's time to look to the future. I'm sure they're already busy with work on their WRC title to be released in 2022 or 2023 or whenever. They can't support old titles forever. 

There will be PS4 games which get performance upgrade for PS5.
I don´t see any reason why Codemasters wouldn´t do that for best rally title on markets.
Surely we pay for that if it must.

btw, still not any confirm about gaming devices support for PS5.
I hope at least Fanatec devices works with new generation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJV1973 said:

btw, still not any confirm about gaming devices support for PS5.
I hope at least Fanatec devices works with new generation.

I hope current generation wheels are compatible too. I don't feel like buying a second set of Fanatec gear 😮 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

I hope current generation wheels are compatible too. I don't feel like buying a second set of Fanatec gear 😮 

Agreed, just spend ~2000eur to Fanatec (and rest almost ~1000eur for cockpit).

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1
" PlayStation 5: There is currently no information from Sony Computer Entertainment whether licensed PS4 products will be compatible with the upcoming PS5 console. Therefore we cannot guarantee any compatibility to PS5 hardware or PS5 games at this time."

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, MJV1973 said:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/podium-racing-wheel-f1
" PlayStation 5: There is currently no information from Sony Computer Entertainment whether licensed PS4 products will be compatible with the upcoming PS5 console. Therefore we cannot guarantee any compatibility to PS5 hardware or PS5 games at this time."

I also just invested a bit over 2000.00usd for the Fanatec gear. Got it to help with my shoulder surgery recovery, since I cant ride bmx for 6+ months. Been a ton of fun.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, Tranzitive said:

As much as I would love possibly VR on PS5 or some type of performance upgrade, I think we need to accept that this game is basically done as far as support goes.

It was released over a year ago, CM supported it for over a year and rolled out numerous patches for it which is great. But it's time to look to the future. I'm sure they're already busy with work on their WRC title to be released in 2022 or 2023 or whenever. They can't support old titles forever. 

I dont want to wait 2 or 3 years for the next dedicated rally game from codemasters...that would suck. I really hope they release an update.

Dirt 5 is not up my alley, at all. I really dig how dirt rally games feel compared to other rally-sim games...

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, MJV1973 said:

Sounds like they're waiting for Sony to confirm.

With current gen there was a bit of a conflict in terms of security chips. Essentially the "handshake" that confirms a USB device is safe is done in the base for PS4 and in the rim for Xbox, so if you buy a PS4 Fanatec Base, and an Xbox Fanatec rim, it'll work on both.

[edit] Done some research on my Xbox rim:

Xbox One® and Xbox Series X: If connected with this steering wheel, the above mentioned wheel bases will be compatible to Xbox One and the next generation Xbox consoles.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, PJTierney said:

Technically possible and practically possible are two different things.

Regarding VR, it was designed specifically for Oculus hardware (and Steam got a side benefit), so who knows how much needs to be done to build a PlayStation compatible version.

I mean I would kinda hope CM would 🤪. You have done it before (for PlayStation), this can't actually be a mystery. 

On 7/14/2020 at 8:13 PM, PJTierney said:

Well all share that hope!

Given CM are making Dirt 5 for next gen, are you not already aware of that information? Can you share anything?

I personally don't know the compatibility situation, and I imagine that even if I did I wouldn't be able to say anything until PlayStation do 😉 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games. 

Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals/accessories may work on PS5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PS5 and specific titles. 

• Like 1