F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Allow lapped cars to unlap during SC

I was in a my team race, and caught the back of the leaders. Unfortunately the entire field was ahead so I had to let the entire field lap me on the restart. 

Because of this I now have the shame of being lapped by Raghunathan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 9

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL The game really needs this rule included. Without it, there is the potential for races to be completely ruined (as they have been for me in the past) if you've been lapped and then get stuck in a SC queue. Green light and you have to let *everyone* pass and that's your race over.

The rule was sort of fixed on 2017 due to a separate issue needing to be fixed, and it was terrific. Please do this again for 2020.

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

This is something that has annoyed me for ages. Posted about it multiple times on the F1 2019 forum and I'm very dissapointed to see that it hasn't been changed for F1 2020. Please Codemasters, as we will all be backmarkers in My Team mode, fixing this issue is more relevant than ever!

@BarryBLcan you tell us if this issue is acknowlegded, and if so, why you haven't been able to fix it? Would love to hear from you!

Edited by Falstojudilofa
  • Agree 1

We acknowledge that this isn't in following of F1 rules, and there is/has been internal discussions about this.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, BarryBL said:

We acknowledge that this isn't in following of F1 rules, and there is/has been internal discussions about this.

Thanks for the update Barry. It doesn't really make us any wiser but I understand that it depends on a lot of factors. I hope the Codemasters team will get this one fixed at last, and it's good to know that you are aware of our frustration.

7 hours ago, BarryBL said:

What? We just saw on Austria a lapped car overtake the sc car during the Grand prix..

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BarryBL said:

@BarryBL 😆 You acknowledge that this isn't in following of F1 rules? What kind of motosport racing do you watch at Codemasters?
Just for you dear Codemasters 😘
As FIA indicates in Article 39.12 (sporting regulations 2017), lapped cars may unlap themselves once cars were lined up behind the safety car.
Since 3 years it's missing in the game. Same with the red flag regulation during every session 😎
No more excuses! It's an official rule in F1 that lapped cars can overtake the safety car after some laps to restore the order of the placements. You representing the official Formula One in a game but not all rules have found their way into the game.. SINCE YEARS! 😋 It's a big shame that your team isn't able to adapt this important rule and it's something that was talked about for years now! 
I am known to be a great critic of your games and you also give me any reason and plenty of food 🙃 You are just too incapable to solve the problem with the safety car.
Instead of closing a construction site, you always open new ones with new features. 
Sorry for that, but you failed again on this point. No surprise anymore.... 

Edited by FIE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

It really is hurting immersion, also it kind of ruins the fun of let's say 100% say race length, look at Button 2011 in Canada, was a lap down and won... Please make this possible.

Posted (edited)

@Punition @FIEI may be me misunderstanding @BarryBL, but I think he meant to say that the way it is in the game is not following the F1 rules. And that is correct, hence this topic is here.

Edited by Falstojudilofa
  • Agree 4

Sorry but I have to agree. Saying "Yeah we know we don't included it" isn't an answer.
But the problem with the SC is deeper as if I am in P1 and following the SC, if i fall back too much at the sector 2/3 line the SC does not come in.

This is one of my biggest issues with f1 18 and 19 if you arent a front runner if your lapped when safety car comes out but the person your racing is a fee seconds up the road youll end up a lap down on the person you were just 2 seconds behind its incredibly frustrating!

Also when SC is out you can pretty much go flat out for 3 quarters of a lap while you catch the que the official f1 game and something that happens in most races is half arsed/implemented.

Sort it!

• Agree 1

It's been multiple years and you've only just acknowledged it. Wow. Surely, you'd read the rules or watch any race since 2011 or 2012 where lapped cars were allowed to unlap themselves. 

In 2014, people were complaining the process took too long and it hasn't changed since. 

On 7/9/2020 at 4:32 AM, FIE said:

@BarryBL 😆 You acknowledge that this isn't in following of F1 rules? What kind of motosport racing do you watch at Codemasters?
Just for you dear Codemasters 😘
As FIA indicates in Article 39.12 (sporting regulations 2017), lapped cars may unlap themselves once cars were lined up behind the safety car.
Since 3 years it's missing in the game. Same with the red flag regulation during every session 😎
No more excuses! It's an official rule in F1 that lapped cars can overtake the safety car after some laps to restore the order of the placements. You representing the official Formula One in a game but not all rules have found their way into the game.. SINCE YEARS! 😋 It's a big shame that your team isn't able to adapt this important rule and it's something that was talked about for years now! 
I am known to be a great critic of your games and you also give me any reason and plenty of food 🙃 You are just too incapable to solve the problem with the safety car.
Instead of closing a construction site, you always open new ones with new features. 
Sorry for that, but you failed again on this point. No surprise anymore.... 

It's not compulsory for Race Control to allow lapped cars to overtake the SC. Each case is reviewed independently. It's been like that for years. However, most of the time they do allow it.

The following is from 2019 sporting regulations:

39.9 When ordered to do so by the clerk of the course the observer in the car will use a green light to signal to any cars between it and the race leader that they should pass. These cars will continue at reduced speed and without overtaking until they reach the line of cars behind the safety car.

39.10 Except under 39.12 below, the safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him.

[...]

39.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do  so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed. [...]

While I think the feature itself would be great to have in the game, the current system is not against the rules per se. My guess there are two main points of concern why unlapping under SC conditions isn't implemented. The first one is that the current penalty system would go ballistic and hand BS penalties left, right and center. The second one is the amount of crashes it will lead to, especially online. It will prolong the SC period and might take half of a 25% race.

I would suggest ghosting cars under SC to avoid such crashing.

• Agree 1

As far as I know in previous games you haven't been able to overtake the Safety Car if you were a lap down. Has this changed in the 2020 game?

SC rules are terrible, if you are in 2nd position you can overtake the 1st and the SC and get only 5sec penalty for illégal overtake.

After that you are free to give 1 lap to all car on track before SC restart.

4 minutes ago, ZixClon said:

SC rules are terrible, if you are in 2nd position you can overtake the 1st and the SC and get only 5sec penalty for illégal overtake.

That's really terrible. Was this always the case? Never seen it happen.

Not go 2020 but its been the case since 2017 I think. Ruined many races for me as a backmarker as if you were lapped by the leading back but the cars a couple of seconds up the road werent the cars up the roads can carry on at full pelt til they catch the que while your sat behind 1st or 2nd or whatever and lose a lap to your rivals.

Its this way by design which is an absolute failure on their part

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

That's really terrible. Was this always the case? Never seen it happen.

Yes, i bought the game yesterday without any patch. So i tried the game waiting for patch upgrade complet and its happening.

Ill try later if its still happening with game update and ill make a report.

Edited by ZixClon
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ZixClon said:

I noticed last night that something was off. I was leading the race when a SC came out. One guy pitted from 5th for fresh tires and dropped behind the whole field. Then he overtook everybody  behind the safety car until he was leading the race. Once the SC went out, he disappeared into the distance on fresh tires in the last 6 laps and all he got was a 5 second penalty.

7 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I noticed last night that something was off. I was leading the race when a SC came out. One guy pitted from 5th for fresh tires and dropped behind the whole field. Then he overtook everybody  behind the safety car until he was leading the race. Once the SC went out, he disappeared into the distance on fresh tires in the last 6 laps and all he got was a 5 second penalty.

Please make a bug report to make CM aware of the issue. I will try it to recreate the issue so I can make a report aswell.👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Falstojudilofa said:

Please make a bug report to make CM aware of the issue. I will try it to recreate the issue so I can make a report aswell.👍

My video clip settings were at 10 minutes so it was too far out when I tried to save it after the race. Will try to record it next time if/when it happens.

How do I make the report with the clip included without "naming and shaming" though? Editing names out on a PS4 is not exactly an easy feat.

Edited by janbonator

There's a thread in Suggestions on this, with a response from @BarryBL

If you guys would like to add to this, hopefully it would help.

• Like 1

The problem is in the case of it not happening in-game, you end up stuck in the queue among lapping cars. Green light and you get blue flagged for every single other car you to pass you and your race is over, you can't catch the guy in front because they've either managed to slip the queue and end up lapping you themselves after the SC or you're trying to catch them and get the risk of disqualification trying to unlap yourself. It's too black and white in-game and needs to be remedied.