Jump to content Jump to content

Allow lapped cars to unlap during SC

On 7/9/2020 at 3:32 AM, FIE said:

@BarryBL 😆 You acknowledge that this isn't in following of F1 rules? What kind of motosport racing do you watch at Codemasters?
Just for you dear Codemasters 😘
As FIA indicates in Article 39.12 (sporting regulations 2017), lapped cars may unlap themselves once cars were lined up behind the safety car.
Since 3 years it's missing in the game. Same with the red flag regulation during every session 😎
No more excuses! It's an official rule in F1 that lapped cars can overtake the safety car after some laps to restore the order of the placements. You representing the official Formula One in a game but not all rules have found their way into the game.. SINCE YEARS! 😋 It's a big shame that your team isn't able to adapt this important rule and it's something that was talked about for years now! 
I am known to be a great critic of your games and you also give me any reason and plenty of food 🙃 You are just too incapable to solve the problem with the safety car.
Instead of closing a construction site, you always open new ones with new features. 
Sorry for that, but you failed again on this point. No surprise anymore.... 

The problem is that the implementation of the safety car in the game is a mess since years!

They should spent effort on fixing this (not only lapped cars but also when should a SC come out, ...) rather than adding gloves, helmets, suits and stuff like that.

Maybe many people are interested by this but many other people are also interested by a realistic game as well.

• Agree 6

The MyTeam Mode is basicly unplayable combined with 100% races and SC enabled. Got 4 SafetyCars in 6 Races, all of them appeared when I already was lapped by the leader. So there were multiple hours of racing absolutely smashed by the missing option to unlap myself. Blue Flags after SC comes back into the pits and a lot of frustration were the result. 

For real, it makes no sense to play with SC as backmarker combined with a 100% race where it is most likely that you are going 2 be lapped. A change would improve the experience of F1 2020 in a massive way.

Now i just can decide to disable SC or go for 50 % races or even 25%. Thats a bit unfortunately. 

I'd also prefer the integration of this rule over adding gloves, helmets or paintings for my car since this issue is for me a game breaking problem.

• Agree 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 5:21 AM, janbonator said:

It's not compulsory for Race Control to allow lapped cars to overtake the SC. Each case is reviewed independently. It's been like that for years. However, most of the time they do allow it.

The following is from 2019 sporting regulations:

39.9 When ordered to do so by the clerk of the course the observer in the car will use a green light to signal to any cars between it and the race leader that they should pass. These cars will continue at reduced speed and without overtaking until they reach the line of cars behind the safety car.

39.10 Except under 39.12 below, the safety car shall be used at least until the leader is behind it and all remaining cars are lined up behind him.

[...]

39.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do  so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed. [...]

While I think the feature itself would be great to have in the game, the current system is not against the rules per se. My guess there are two main points of concern why unlapping under SC conditions isn't implemented. The first one is that the current penalty system would go ballistic and hand BS penalties left, right and center. The second one is the amount of crashes it will lead to, especially online. It will prolong the SC period and might take half of a 25% race.

I would suggest ghosting cars under SC to avoid such crashing.

I like this idea of ghosting lapped cars to unlap themselves. Although not realistic, it would be a start and a safer way of implementing it as opposed to not having them ghost and possibly cause unnecessary collisions/penalties, especially around circuits like Monaco. But since its not always compulsory I'm not sure how they would set the benchmark of when this could happen, unless it is done randomly or as a higher chance of happening but not always guaranteed. 

• Agree 2
3 minutes ago, ThunderCats101 said:

I like this idea of ghosting lapped cars to unlap themselves. Although not realistic, it would be a start and a safer way of implementing it as opposed to not having them ghost and possibly cause unnecessary collisions/penalties, especially around circuits like Monaco. But since its not always compulsory I'm not sure how they would set the benchmark of when this could happen, unless it is done randomly or as a higher chance of happening but not always guaranteed. 

Yeah, it's not very straightforward. I suppose most players value consistency in how the rules are applied. On that thought various random factors or probabilities are a bit iffy. Perhaps allow the field to bunch up for one lap, and those that have caught the safety car would then be allowed to unlap themselves? That would also sort out some of the problems with the increased length of SC periods if unlapping were to be implemented.

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, first of all I am enjoying this game putting hours and hours of entertainment and I am thankful for Codemasters'efforts.

Yet, I have to say this happened to me in a 50% race just now: I was fighting in the low field, p15-16 and was stuck lapped in bewteen the main leaders; safety car came out and I was still blue flagged stuck between p3 and p4. Not being possible to overtake and unlap myself, at the end of the safety car all the drivers in front of me managed to make the train behind the safety car thus making me 1 lap behind everyone except one single driver. This ruined my race and immersion with no possibility of recovering whatsoever. Sorting this out will make a better experience for us players, especially those of us who like to play long immersive races.

• 4 weeks later...

Please change this so that lapped cars can overtake the safety cars this is ruining sooooooo many league races.

yes I understand that it’s down to stewards decision to implement it but most of the time they will.

it worked really well when it was implemented before in previous games.

I think in shorter races like 25% this would take up a bit too much time/laps so maybe not have it for that but certainly for 50% or 100% races it should be implemented.

I subscribe this topic, it would be really nice to have the official F1 SC rule implemented, even with a partially automatic unlapping if it makes it easier

e.g. automatic when overtaking the other cars and the Safety Car (like at the end of the Formation Lap) giving back the manual drive after the overtaking is completed.

Thank you

Nuv

• Agree 1
  • 4 weeks later...