Jump to content Jump to content

PREVIEW: World Rallycross on DiRT Rally

Alwert

Here's a preview of what will be the upgrade of rallycross.It looks spectacular. Look at the second 50 and the values of grip ( medium ) and other details of telemetry speak. It is amazing. Eager to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWYmLt9H2s

No I think you will find it's Australian. (I think? You've got questioning my self now) 

Anyway, there is no logical connection between  Lydden hill and Australia either.  It's just what popped  out my funny little brain. 

Soz for any confusion :)
bogani said:
Wonder how old the footage was that we saw in the vid?
According to the youtube video, it's uploaded on the 2nd of July, news updates usually happen the same day or 1 day after, so I expect somewhere between 1-2 July being recorded.

On a sidenote: This looks a lot of fun, great work Codies and thanks for letting us peak in on the progress! <3
Spokster said:
bogani said:
According to the youtube video, it's uploaded on the 2nd of July, news updates usually happen the same day or 1 day after, so I expect somewhere between 1-2 July being recorded.

On a sidenote: This looks a lot of fun, great work Codies and thanks for letting us peak in on the progress! <3
I actually think this footage is much older. 
bogani said:
Spokster said:
bogani said:

I've asked Neil Cole on Twitter when it was filmed and he said it was two weeks ago. 

We're still about four weeks ago from release of RX update so between now and then the visuals may get polished, but more importantly they'll balance the AI and do some optmising (black magic...)

From the sounds of things the RX update will bring:
- Two RX tracks: Holjes in Sweden and Lydden Hill in UK
- Two or three cars: OMSE Ford Fiesta and Petter Solberg's Citroen DS3, and all going well VW Polo
- Real team liveries: in the video we can see the Olsberg's liveries of Bakkerud, Nitiss and Timerzyanov, Petter Solberg Monster Energy sponsored look and some others
- Joker lap: there are green markers against driver names, which are very likely to show who has taken the jokes and who hasn't
- Spotter calls: system to aid the player in choosing the moment for taking the Joker lap with lines recorded by Neil Cole
-  Career mode addition: not sure how this will work, but surely RX will be added to it
bogani said:
Spokster said:
bogani said:

I've asked Neil Cole on Twitter when it was filmed and he said it was two weeks ago. 

We're still about four weeks ago from release of RX update so between now and then the visuals may get polished, but more importantly they'll balance the AI and do some optmising (black magic...)

- Two or three cars: OMSE Ford Fiesta and Petter Solberg's Citroen DS3, and all going well VW Polo
- Real team liveries: in the video we can see the Olsberg's liveries of Bakkerud, Nitiss and Timerzyanov, Petter Solberg Monster Energy sponsored look and some others
- Joker lap: there are green markers against driver names, which are very likely to show who has taken the jokes and who hasn't
- Spotter calls: system to aid the player in choosing the moment for taking the Joker lap with lines recorded by Neil Cole
-  Career mode addition: not sure how this will work, but surely RX will be added to it
I might get flamed for this, but I wasnt that impressed with the graphics. However, it probably looks better IRL. I feel the same way with the other Dirt promo vids, it looks much sweeter when playing!
bogani said:
I might get flamed for this, but I wasnt that impressed with the graphics. However, it probably looks better IRL. I feel the same way with the other Dirt promo vids, it looks much sweeter when playing!

The promo pre-recorded bits with 'Work in progress' are exactly that. Once it's in the hands of players on good PCs, on ultra settings and after finishing touches it will look sweet.

I have no idea whether it was an issue for the DiRTy devs, but with more cars visible maybe the visuals and texture resolutions had to be downgraded?

Then again the track area is much smaller than an area occupied by a rally stage, so less 'streaming' was required.

Codies have done RX races before so I don't expect any issues - it will play well :) Hopefully, the AI puts up a fight without being dicks like the AI in pCARS :tongue: 

Didn't Lee allude to something World Rallycross happening at Codemasters a couple of weeks ago? Perhaps that was this?

From that clip I can see:

Petter Solberg - SDRX Citroen DS3 4x4 T16
Reinis Nitiss - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Timur Timerzyanov - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Max Pucher - Stohl Racing Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16
Knut Ove Borseth? - Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 

The video segment with the bonnet cam might be onboard the DS3 of Liam Doran; both he and Petter have identical bonnets this year though, so it's hard to tell from that angle.  

I'm not a big fan of Neil Cole, but I'd rather he voices the spotter calls than Christian Stephenson! :D Full credit to Codemasters, it's incredible to see modern rallycross authentically represented in game. I cannot wait to see Lydden with a pack of Supercars on it!
tbtstt said:
From that clip I can see:

Thanks for reminding me not to have attempts at dissecting RX clips when you're around! :D

What do you think of how closely to reality are the Lydden Hill and Holjes represented or was there not enough shown to make that judgement?

I remember Paul once saying that the plan would be model and decorate Lydden Hill to what it will be like in a few years time when RX grows even more. The layout looks very authentic, I'm sure the tape measure was out for extensive use during the research trip.

I'll need to watch some Holjes onboard vids to learn the track and hopefully beat at least one time set by a RX driver :P
bogani said:
bogani said:
Spokster said:
bogani said:

Well I can tell you Lydden Hill looked pretty damn good when I drove it in April 2014!

Thanks for reminding me not to have attempts at dissecting RX clips when you're around! :D
Just trying to help!  :)
I remember Paul once saying that the plan would be model and decorate Lydden Hill to what it will be like in a few years time when RX grows even more. The layout looks very authentic, I'm sure the tape measure was out for extensive use during the research trip.
I've only done a few laps of Lydden in a Suzuki Swift, but I thought they had it nailed when I played the circuit last year. Flying through the chicane is brilliant and the surface transition onto Chessons Drift felt spot on. Even though its a simple circuit there are loads of little details, such as the paved section on the inside of Chessons. I imagine they might tweak the circuit layout since I played it, as the dirt transition on Paddock Hill bend and joker lap exit have now been altered.

As for the track furniture I only spotted one major mistake when I was playing; there was a permanent structure about half way up the hill that isn't there now. Based on what you are saying about Paul going for a "future" Lydden though, that might explain the extra building. 

Oh, and there weren't any photographers on the center island...

...the one in the backpack looks coolest. He should totally be in game.  ;)

The aerial shots of Holjes look good, but it's hard to tell how accurate it is from those alone. If it has been modeled with the same attention to detail as Lydden, I'm sure its spot on!
I only got try out RX back in 2013 when it was at an early stage, before the handling physics very overhauled.

Even then driving a Supercar was great - with the improvements made since then it will be just amazing! Oh, and I'll find out tomorrow! :D

My guess is that the RX Expansion will bring in the Hell track in Norway; and hopefully EKS Audi S1 (that car is BEAST) and Peugeot Hansen 208.
Even then driving a Supercar was great - with the improvements made since then it will be just amazing! Oh, and I'll find out tomorrow! :D
Look forward to seeing what you think (If you can step away from the PC long enough to type a post :smiley:)  

Just had a look at the video on a bigger screen so I can look at all the text and cars properly. Just identified the Stohl Racing Fiesta of Manfred Stohl at 4:27 and the second OMSE car in the background, which is surely Bakkerud. That now gives us:

Andreas Bakkerud - OMSE Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16 
Manfred Stohl - Stohl Racing Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16

Looking at the names in the corner of the screen during the race clips I can see Grosset-Janin, Linnerud and Veiby. That would imply the following:

Tord Linnerud - Kristoffersson Motorsport Volkswagen Polo 4x4 T16
Ole-Christian Veiby - Kristoffersson Motorsport 
Volkswagen Polo 4x4 T16
Jerome Grosset-Janin - Albatec Racing Peugeot 208 4x4 T16

The only thing that is a bit strange is that, at the 0:11 mark in the video, he hits the car in front (which I'm certain is the DS3 of Solberg). Looking at the drivers names in the top left "P. One" is fifth, so the car shown in fourth position should be Petter Solberg, but it appears to be Linnerud? 
I've only just realised that what they're doing in Sweden this weekend is actually very clever. The amount of feedback they will get from the number of professionals playing the game will only help shape the game, and in the long run it'll be a better experience for us then. 

Archived