F1 2020 | PODIUM PASS SERIES 2 NOW LIVE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×
F1 2020 | CODEMASTERS PC FORUM CHAMPIONSHIP | LOOKING FOR DRIVERS Read more... ×

Any improvement to the ai this year?

As the game is £65 I thought I would see if the ai are still on rails before I decide wether to buy or pass this year stopped playing 19 ad the ai were just no fun to race against as no matter what ie heavy rain /locking up wheels they would never make mistakes like spin in rain or miss a apex and go over grass etc has there been any improvement or is it just same perfect laps lap after lap . I know these are some of the best drivers in the world but they do make errors and racing pre programmed perfect ai gets very boring v quick .

I'll PM you a video of my Australia GP highlights. My first race and the most fun I've had since coming in to the franchise. 

Unfortunately the highlights didn't catch everything. AI locking up wheels, not ceding properly when I close the door on the corner until their front wing goes flying, screwing up their braking when trying to overtake on the inside and many more. I even got double ganged in Bahrain by Stroll and Gasly! One on the outside, I close the door, the other comes rocketing (thanks, DRS!) on the inside to capitalize on my gap.

2 hours ago, marioho said:

I'll PM you a video of my Australia GP highlights. My first race and the most fun I've had since coming in to the franchise. 

Unfortunately the highlights didn't catch everything. AI locking up wheels, not ceding properly when I close the door on the corner until their front wing goes flying, screwing up their braking when trying to overtake on the inside and many more. I even got double ganged in Bahrain by Stroll and Gasly! One on the outside, I close the door, the other comes rocketing (thanks, DRS!) on the inside to capitalize on my gap.

I agree. I have only managed 2 races so far but I am loving the AI and the fact they can run wide now and make mistakes. Definitely think it is a big step up so far and makes it much more realistic. Now all we need is player mechanical failures... And dare I mention it, but I havnt really heard of any big bugs so far. Yes audio is a bit out of balance but that is easily rectified. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I saw it as well in Australia yesterday in my first practice session, Stroll really missed a breaking point and dust came up and he missed his perfect rail :D great, 70 EUR already worth :D that is a major update. Finally the AI makes mistakes as well. Thanks CM

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Yes I’ve done 1 weekend in F2 best races ever really really good

Edited by Jamesf172

The AI in this game are massively improved over last year.  Still not perfect, but they are better at getting out of the way, block less during qualifying, and are less ... well, "Artificial" than before.  As stated, they make mistakes, fight with you, but are generally good at giving the right amount of space.

That being said, they still do stupid stuff.  They still get back on the racing line a bit harshly, sometimes knocking you off the track.  They sometimes get in the way, or get out of the way a bit late during qualifying.  They don't always obey blue flags as perfectly as you might like.  But so do humans.  I'd say this is a great step in the right direction.  Now just some fine tuning to increase their track awareness a tad more, and they'll be great.  🙂

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

I agree. I have only managed 2 races so far but I am loving the AI and the fact they can run wide now and make mistakes.

Trouble is, people seem to say this almost every year...

F1 2019: "Ive had a few. Biggest one i had was hamilton and bottas got in to each other in to turn 1 at suzuka. Hamilton clipped bottas' left rear, Bottas spun, hamilton knocked his wing off and finished outside the points, and it ended up pretty much securing seb the championship. Ive seen cars run wide from time to time as well." 

F1 2017: "With the AI being more aggressive, they also make mistakes."

etc.

2 minutes ago, scottishwildcat said:

Trouble is, people seem to say this almost every year...

F1 2019: "Ive had a few. Biggest one i had was hamilton and bottas got in to each other in to turn 1 at suzuka. Hamilton clipped bottas' left rear, Bottas spun, hamilton knocked his wing off and finished outside the points, and it ended up pretty much securing seb the championship. Ive seen cars run wide from time to time as well." 

F1 2017: "With the AI being more aggressive, they also make mistakes."

etc.

That is because the AI improves every year. They won't go from 2019 to perfect level in one year. It's an ongoing process and you can clearly notice the difference in behavior. We can only hope this development keeps going and we will see that the F1 2025 AI are 5 steps better than this years AI.

• Agree 1

so I finished my first 50 % race in Melbourne, heavy rain, 21 cars finished, just Leclerc was out with Mechanical Failure :classic_dry: I did not recognize any other car got damaged or spinned...as said it was heavy rain, even Hamilton made mistakes in real, so I would assume seeing some guys beside the track would be realistic as Australia has a lot of grass and sand next to the track...can someone share some experience? Looks like I was the only one besides the track xD

Yes backs up what I've seen on gameplay videos occasionally they get slightly sideways on traction but no actual mistakes ie locking up missing apex going over grass , hitting wall damaging wing spinning in rain off kerbs seems they still on rails I'll pass this year stick with Moto gp20 races are super close ai crash etc 

I seen drivers making mistakes in 2019 version and hitting walls, max did that in Singapore and hit me damaging my front wing lol.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

Yes backs up what I've seen on gameplay videos occasionally they get slightly sideways on traction but no actual mistakes ie locking up missing apex going over grass , hitting wall damaging wing spinning in rain off kerbs seems they still on rails I'll pass this year stick with Moto gp20 races are super close ai crash etc 

I've done 4 races on My Team and on two of them I've seen an AI locking up their wheels when I pressed on them to overtake on the inside or to defend my position.

I got Lando spinning after taking to wide of a line and touching my rear wheels on Australia and Russel doing the same on Hanoi.

The Race Director tab is a joy to visit after every race. It is great to see the AI being warned for bumping into instead of only me being warned for collisions and exceeding track limits for a change. I mean, this already happened on F1 2019 but every hustling overtake attempt so far has usually result in one party receiving a slap on the wrist from the stewards.

Hmmm, I did a full wet race in Australia and the AI were just a train for the whole race, none of the positions changed in front of me and no one made even 1 mistake, everyone in the top 10 prtety much finished in the order they came out of T1. Running on 85 difficulty.

They have added some scripted crashes and or failures, AI will lose the back end of a straight and crash out, it looks very fake but I just imagine its some kind of suspension failure or something, at least it does vary up the races (as other AI will crash into them also).

Yes I've been there with the ai train sounds v similar to 18/19 shame as was planning on buying it but as primarily a single player user racing perfect ai just doesn't interest me gets so boring maybe next year thnx for feed back .

Except for rain, I think the AI already made quite some mistakes in F1 2019. Those would often ruin my race and the AI didn't even get a penalty, not even a warning (which is why I use flashback whenever an AI mistake, that I suffer from, goes unpunished). And now you guys say that the AI tends to make even more mistakes in F1 2020 - that only makes me wonder: Have they finally managed to improve the penalty system?!? Otherwise, the AI making more mistakes at my expense would only mean using the flashback button more often...

AI are fairly decent.

Also helps now having a virtual mirror as you can help yourself avoid them as its easier to see where they are.

This 2020 version is a very good game. Sure there will be the odd bug here and there at this stage but overall codemasters should be proud of this release.

23 hours ago, EyTschej said:

Except for rain, I think the AI already made quite some mistakes in F1 2019. Those would often ruin my race and the AI didn't even get a penalty, not even a warning (which is why I use flashback whenever an AI mistake, that I suffer from, goes unpunished). And now you guys say that the AI tends to make even more mistakes in F1 2020 - that only makes me wonder: Have they finally managed to improve the penalty system?!? Otherwise, the AI making more mistakes at my expense would only mean using the flashback button more often...

Bahrain final lap,11th would have been a good result for me, Vettel wanted to take over before the last DRS zone,no space, hit me on my rear wheel,i spinned and fall back to 13th. No penalty for Seb -.- 

The AI is much more agressive this year,they really try to overtake where you do not overtake normally.

Playing second race of season last night and on pit straight kimi was in front of me and he suddenly lost control and had a glancing hit to the pit wall just enabled me to sneak past him without been hit so yes drivers do make mistakes and yes kimi did manage to finish race in end.

Have still noticed though that if your on racing line and not turning and another car goes into me, I still get a warning in 2020 edition even though it’s the other drivers fault

• Agree 1