Split Screen or Virtual Mirror - Which one is responsible for this HUGE graphics downgrade?

The rest of the game looks good to me, but trees and view distance are dumbed down majorly because of splitscreen I'm guessing.

https://i1.lensdump.com/i/jYYbYD.jpg

Seriously ruins the immersion, Codies still struggle so badly with trees!

• Agree 1

On 7/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, BelgiumDude said:

I tried all my efforts to exclude your quote, but this forum seems to not allow to delete attachments or links after they are added.

This comparison I'm showing simply shows evidently how much tress and scenary in general were downgraded. I repeat, it's a clear difference. I'm not exaggerating, as some people said.

I'm playing on Xbox One X and by the Digital Foundry video, that I still need to watch completely and preferably in my 4K HDR TV, something really happened with the Xbox One X version. 

It's evident that split screen support made consoles versions suffer and, because of this, graphics had to be lowered.

But there are other annoying things. In this comparison you can see that even some stands have their yellow huge lights TURNED OFF in Bahrein circuit. It's noticeable in the 7th minute of the video.

1 hour ago, viniciusrsouza said:

I tried all my efforts to exclude your quote, but this forum seems to not allow to delete attachments or links after they are added.

This comparison I'm showing simply shows evidently how much tress and scenary in general were downgraded. I repeat, it's a clear difference. I'm not exaggerating, as some people said.

I'm playing on Xbox One X and by the Digital Foundry video, that I still need to watch completely and preferably in my 4K HDR TV, something really happened with the Xbox One X version. 

It's evident that split screen support made consoles versions suffer and, because of this, graphics had to be lowered.

But there are other annoying things. In this comparison you can see that even some stands have their yellow huge lights TURNED OFF in Bahrein circuit. It's noticeable in the 7th minute of the video.

The graphics weren't downgraded for split screen, some of the trees and scenery was completely remade because the game wasn't running at a locked 60 FPS, particularly at Monaco which had constant screen tearing as it wasn't able to hit 60 FPS. The changes means it finally runs at a nearly locked 60 FPS which is better for players and a sensible move, especially as most people will be focused on the track and not focused on trees and scenery. 

• Agree 4

On 7/10/2020 at 9:45 PM, marts said:

The rest of the game looks good to me, but trees and view distance are dumbed down majorly because of splitscreen I'm guessing.

https://i1.lensdump.com/i/jYYbYD.jpg

Seriously ruins the immersion, Codies still struggle so badly with trees!

This! Here it is the "night and day" difference.

Maybe they should have made these trees a bit more dark at least, so they could be realistic as they are in 2019.

Spa, Monza and Spielberg now seems like they have a "cartoon" background. It's not alive and realistic as before. 

28 minutes ago, hobsgrg said:

The graphics weren't downgraded for split screen, some of the trees and scenery was completely remade because the game wasn't running at a locked 60 FPS, particularly at Monaco which had constant screen tearing as it wasn't able to hit 60 FPS. The changes means it finally runs at a nearly locked 60 FPS which is better for players and a sensible move, especially as most people will be focused on the track and not focused on trees and scenery. 

Don't know if it depends of the screen used to play the game, but for some people, including me, trees and scenary are so much noticeable even when playing in full speed. Probably because of the size of the TV.

My setup here is a Samsung Q80R 55" and the Xbox One X, running in 4K and HDR, with FreeSync enabled.

By the way, even reducing brightness to achieve more vivid colors isn't sufficient to achieve less washed colors and it's not great when people have to mess with TV settings, turning other games ugly and weird, just to try to fix a specific one.

Let's hope the next gen game (or a patch for it) can bring great graphics and performance again. But since even the PC version is almost the same as for the One X, probably only F1 2021 will be different, actually. 

38 minutes ago, hobsgrg said:

The changes means it finally runs at a nearly locked 60 FPS which is better for players and a sensible move, especially as most people will be focused on the track and not focused on trees and scenery. 

And crucial for a game that wants to establish itself as an esport. 

If noticeable-but-those-are-still-trees-right downgrade to trees and foliage is too much of a cost for people not to like the game, then ok, it is your own assessment of what is important and what is not in a racing game and where the balance between performance and visuals falls on for your taste. But people seem to lose sight that the changes weren't made out of spite or for being lazy.

This doesn't apply to everyone here, but a handful of posts do strike me as a bit too myopic for my liking.   

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 3:36 PM, marioho said:

And crucial for a game that wants to establish itself as an esport. 

If noticeable-but-those-are-still-trees-right downgrade to trees and foliage is too much of a cost for people not to like the game, then ok, it is your own assessment of what is important and what is not in a racing game and where the balance between performance and visuals falls on for your taste. But people seem to lose sight that the changes weren't made out of spite or for being lazy.

This doesn't apply to everyone here, but a handful of posts do strike me as a bit too myopic for my liking.   

I think some people just would like that PC, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X could have the original and realistic background graphics from previous edition, as they can handle 60 FPS. And then PS4 and Xbox One could run it in a low background scenary, trees and foliage mode, to reach 60 FPS also.

Games like Forza Horizon 4 (and other genres also) offer a 4K quality or 1080p performance setting. The graphics differences are huge, actually most noticed in trees and nature in general. Formula 1 last year was able to deliver a beautiful forest background and a great performance for the most powerful devices. Maybe that's why some people are upset.

It's not a matter of calling them lazy or being mad because a lot of people will be able to play smoothly. This is clearly not what people are complaining or specifically talking about. 

15 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

I think some people just would like that PC, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X could have the original and realistic background graphics from previous edition, as they can handle 60 FPS. And then PS4 and Xbox One could run it in a low background scenary, trees and foliage mode, to reach 60 FPS also.

Games like Forza Horizon 4 (and other genres also) offer a 4K quality or 1080p performance setting. The graphics differences are huge, actually most noticed in trees and nature in general. Formula 1 last year was able to deliver a beautiful forest background and a great performance for the most powerful devices. Maybe that's why some people are upset.

It's not a matter of calling them lazy or being mad because a lot of people will be able to play smoothly. This is clearly not what people are complaining or specifically talking about. 

I agree with you. That option would be great, as personally I don't do much online playing and we all could benefit from tweaking the game to our liking.

But that is the first time this reasonable argument has been raised here. I'll reread the topic, but the reason I chimed in here at first place was precisely to draw people's attention for the reasons downgrades like these happen. The performance boost was not being credit properly.

And we all have Digital Foundry's analysis to fall back if need be.