F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Split Screen or Virtual Mirror - Which one is responsible for this HUGE graphics downgrade?

Honestly, no matter what they say, F1 2019 and F1 2020 graphics are night and day difference.

- The distance view is CLEARLY lower this year. We can see this perfectly in Spa, sector 3, reaching the old Bus Stop. Also in Canada, first corner. The public stands low draw distance is EVIDENT after we turn left and their textures load in front of us. 

- Colors. They are totally washed. Mainly trees/nature in general.

- Anti aliasing. I'm playing on Xbox One X and it's absolutely frustrating to see so many objects "flashing" here and there, totally lacking a mininum of it.

- The sun. Used to be bright and realistic when played in HDR, to a point where using Samsung Q80R TV in maximum back light was able to hurt a bit our eyes. Now it seems to be nerfed as well.

It's EXTREMELY sad to face this level of downgrade probably because of a new feature just 1% of player base will use. And, for sure, for just a few rare occasions and never more.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

A few people have said this, but honestly, on PS4 pro, i can see no difference at all.

Maybe just affecting PC or xbox?

• Agree 3

If it is because of the virtual mirror then it's my fault. I wanted a virtual mirror and I'm using it. I'm also glad with split screen

So if what you are saying is correct, because I haven't noticed a HUGE downgrade in graphics quality on the PS4 Pro, I can only applaud the decision of Codemasters as in my opinion only 1% would notice the difference 

• Agree 5

Just now, BelgiumDude said:

If it is because of the virtual mirror then it's my fault. I wanted a virtual mirror and I'm using it. I'm also glad with split screen

So if what you are saying is correct, because I haven't noticed a HUGE downgrade in graphics quality on the PS4 Pro, I can only applaud the decision of Codemasters as in my opinion only 1% would notice the difference 

Maybe the virtual mirror is not the main thing here, since we already have working mirrors for years. Don't know how much this extra one could impact in order to force a downgrade. But split screen probably is pretty much resources consuming.

What they really should have done is to downgrade graphics ONLY when split screen mode is used. 

About not noticing and maybe this being something affecting PC and Xbox, I honestly don't think PS4 would be different from the others.

You can see in a lot of YouTube videos comparing 2019 and 2020 gameplay. Also in Reddit a lot of people complaining about this. Some people even said that MotoGP 20 also had a downgrade, but because of all COVID-19 situation and people working from home.

Agree on this, even if there is a slight downgrade (obvs too small for me to notice), it’s def worth it for the mirror if that’s a cause.

4 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Maybe the virtual mirror is not the main thing here, since we already have working mirrors for years. Don't know how much this extra one could impact in order to force a downgrade. But split screen probably is pretty much resources consuming.

What they really should have done is to downgrade graphics ONLY when split screen mode is used. 

About not noticing and maybe this being something affecting PC and Xbox, I honestly don't think PS4 would be different from the others.

You can see in a lot of YouTube videos comparing 2019 and 2020 gameplay. Also in Reddit a lot of people complaining about this. Some people even said that MotoGP 20 also had a downgrade, but because of all COVID-19 situation and people working from home.

@viniciusrsouza, no offence, then please provide evidence to prove it. 

Complete and log bug reports with comparisons and video and we can investigate. Saying 'its bad' doesn't help. Split Screen is designed to run at 30 FPS, that is the only different.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

@viniciusrsouza, no offence, then please provide evidence to prove it. 

Complete and log bug reports with comparisons and video and we can investigate. Saying 'its bad' doesn't help. Split Screen is designed to run at 30 FPS, that is the only different.

Since I'm waiting for the Xbox updates to start offline modes, I'm just playing in ranked lobbies, so I didn't have a chance to use the Game DVR to pause and record, but will save some clips.

By the way, some people here are able to insert YouTube videos in the post itself. For me, URL option doesn't do that.

Can someone tell me how to add a "playable" YouTube video here?

At least on PC there is an option for "dynamic scaling" of the the graphics (it has some weird name in F1), it's weirdly implemented though as it's decreases graphics even though i'm sitting at my fps limit. So I've turned it off and the game is back to smooth (or sharp if you prefer the term) graphics.

I wonder if some of this translated to some consoles where some other issues are causing it to try and scale something (for example heat is limiting CPU/GPU clocks due blockage of air vents)

1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

A few people have said this, but honestly, on PS4 pro, i can see no difference at all.

Haven't noticed anything worse on Xbox. I think it looks fantastic.

PS4 Pro User here, I was (most likely) the first one who raised this topic on PS4. I made some test with F1 2019 yesterday and the results were quite the same. 

Nonetheless I still have the impression that the graphics looks less sharp. 

22 minutes ago, SAL_LippiArsenal said:

PS4 Pro User here, I was (most likely) the first one who raised this topic on PS4. I made some test with F1 2019 yesterday and the results were quite the same. 

Nonetheless I still have the impression that the graphics looks less sharp. 

Could this be HDR related if you can't replicate it?

it's slightly more washed out on pc, although I could be wrong as I haven't played 2019 in a while but it looks a bit more realistic overall I would say.

In terms of HDR, I'm using a Xbox One X and a Samsung Q80R TV.

Comparing both 2019 and 2020, what's more noticeable is that the previous edition has more vivid colors, not washed, even in HDR.

But this is something that can be seen in YouTube videos comparing both games, in SDR videos also.

Trees in general are also way less realistic in 2020. Someone here in forums did a comparison some days ago, using lots of pictures comparing both games side by side.

What kind of screens are you people using? I can't see what you people are talking about. If you would have said that it is not a huge step forward in graphics I would understand it but I don't see a downgrade. To me it just looks a bit better I suppose. I don't have time to watch the trees whilst I'm racing so I probably don't care too much for such details

• Agree 2

I tend to agree with @BelgiumDude. My first impression actually was that the game looks better. Not in asset quality specifically, but in the mix of colors and lighting.

Trees I didn't notice when playing. Lights and shadows are way more impactful and I like how they are now.

"Night and day", "clearly", "evident" and so on are very strong words to adjective the issue - assuming there is one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

What kind of screens are you people using? I can't see what you people are talking about. If you would have said that it is not a huge step forward in graphics I would understand it but I don't see a downgrade. To me it just looks a bit better I suppose. I don't have time to watch the trees whilst I'm racing so I probably don't care too much for such details

LG CX OLED TV + PS4 Pro

The TV is an absolute beast in terms of picture quality so I assume it isn’t the reason for bad graphics.

Edited by SAL_LippiArsenal

But mine isn't. Mine is a Sony 4K from years ago. You probably have much sharper screens than me to see so much difference in trees passing by at top speeds. I need a new TV :classic_laugh:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Graphics were shown to be inferior on PS4 Pro compared to Xbox One X, especially shadow quality.

However, I have not noticed a downgrade on PC, either. I can play in native 4K and ultra settings at a smooth frame rate and the game looks like it did last year.

Edited by HDR10

Split Screen requires the game to render twice, and the PS4 is a really poor machine. Game doesn't look worse than 2019.

3 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

But mine isn't. Mine is a Sony 4K from years ago. You probably have much sharper screens than me to see so much difference in trees passing by at top speeds. I need a new TV :classic_laugh:

I also have a old 4k TV and a PS4 and I agree, my impressions so far is that it is an improvement graphically from last year. Most reviews I have read have also commented on the improved graphics and how they are pushing current generation consoles to their limit. 

Edited by johnboy83
  • Agree 1

Yes I just bought samsung 4k UHD HDR TV and ps4 pro for game I like graphics yes 

@BelgiumDude thought of posting it too. That settles it for me. 

Look at it this way: F1 2019 was released on a 5.5 years old console generation, which is long enough. F1 2020 on a 6.5 years old console generation. We're all on peak hardware optimizations, it is not reasonable to expect leaps in performance from one iteration to the next in the franchise. What is left is that ever challenging balance of visuals vs performance.

Arguably you could make the game look more beautiful without taxing the performance just by re-tweaking things like colors, lights and shadows. That seems to have been done this time and though now we're veering on the subjective aspect of things, I find that F1 2020 looks more to my liking. A lot more.

• Agree 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:47 AM, kalamazoo123 said:

Im playing on an XB1X and honestly, I don't see any real noticeable difference in the visuals.  It looks very similar to 2019 to me.    Maybe it's an issue with the XB1 and PS4 base consoles that dont have the extra horsepower that the xb1x & ps4 pro have.   I keep seeing comments on graphics downgrades, but i just dont see it.

• Agree 1