F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

F1® 2020 - Tips, Guides & Tutorials (+ share your own)

F1® 2020 has arrived and it's time to drive the most advanced racing cars in the world.

For those who are new to the series or simply want some advice on how to go get started, we're here to help. 👍

Official Driving Guides

Official Track Guides

Official Features Guides

Community Guides (Share yours!)

One of the great things about racing games is that a vast community of skilled and helpful players contribute to the collective experience by sharing their own tips, tricks, settings and videos.

If you find any useful guides online, be sure to share them in this thread. If you venture into the DiRT Rally 2.0 forum you'll see an excellent example of this in action, with new guides posted often. 🙂 

That being said, if you just want to go searching for yourself, "F1 2020 Tips" or "F1 2020 Guide" are good search strings to try out on YouTube.

• Like 5

Hello everyone 🙂 

I'm not a familiar face around the F1 side of the forums but for those who don't know, my name is PJ and I am the Social Media Manager for DiRT Rally games.

With DiRT Rally 2.0 winding down (Game of the Year Edition released in March) I was given the opportunity to help out the F1 teams in the lead up to F1® 2020.

As a long-time F1 fan who has been playing the series for years it's been something I've enjoyed contributing to in my own small way this year and now that the game is available it'll be great to see how the world gets on with it 🙂 

Usual disclaimer, I'm not a developer, and I don't work directly on F1® 2020 support. @BarryBL's done a great job on organising the forum for F1® 2020 so if you ever have questions or feedback about the game in general, find the right place to post them in 🙂 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Hello everyone 🙂 

I'm not a familiar face around the F1 side of the forums but for those who don't know, my name is PJ and I am the Social Media Manager for DiRT Rally games.

With DiRT Rally 2.0 winding down (Game of the Year Edition released in March) I was given the opportunity to help out the F1 teams in the lead up to F1® 2020.

As a long-time F1 fan who has been playing the series for years it's been something I've enjoyed contributing to in my own small way this year and now that the game is available it'll be great to see how the world gets on with it 🙂 

Usual disclaimer, I'm not a developer, and I don't work directly on F1® 2020 support. @BarryBL's done a great job on organising the forum for F1® 2020 so if you ever have questions or feedback about the game in general, find the right place to post them in 🙂 

Nice to meet you 

• Like 1

Howdy PJ!

This is a good video and I think it would be better if you could add a tips & tricks section to the actual game where you could access these as they are created/uploaded. Not everyone who owns the game comes to the forums and driving guides like these as well as rules or setting up your car would be most welcome to people to view at their pleasure in game. Any chance of this happening?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, martbloke said:

Howdy PJ!

This is a good video and I think it would be better if you could add a tips & tricks section to the actual game where you could access these as they are created/uploaded. Not everyone who owns the game comes to the forums and driving guides like these as well as rules or setting up your car would be most welcome to people to view at their pleasure in game. Any chance of this happening?

That's something beyond the scope of my area of expertise, but thanks for the suggestion. 🙂  

• Like 1

Another official guide out today, enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1

Not having a go but why this stuff isn’t in the game itself is beyond me 🤔

2 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Not having a go but why this stuff isn’t in the game itself is beyond me 🤔

Agree. Can't remember which game it was but you were in your driver home maybe 2012 perhaps), and you would see a run down of the next track on a TV screen before proceeding to the session. Was good and similar to the above. Why these things get removed is beyond me.

Hopefully for the future there's is like a beginner's or tips n tricks hub in game with this all. Especially seeing as eSports is exploding given the big interest over it during lockdown when the real F1 drivers took part too. Certainly has and will bring more beginners to the game wanting to learn more on how things are done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:42 AM, martbloke said:

Agree. Can't remember which game it was but you were in your driver home maybe 2012 perhaps), and you would see a run down of the next track on a TV screen before proceeding to the session. Was good and similar to the above. Why these things get removed is beyond me.

2012.  Yup.  Ant did the lap rundown during the video.  2012 also has Driver School at the beginning.  Great game.

• Thanks 1

Mornin' everyone, another Track Guide this week 🙂 

• Like 2

Guys, two minor questions about shifting and RPM:

1. On heavy braking zones, when do you make your first downshift? Simultaneously with the moment you hit the brakes in full or do you wait a couple seconds? I created the habit of doing it virtually in sync, but now I wonder if it wouldn't be better performance wise to wait a bit.

2. The SFX beep for upshifting, is it always optimal performance wise (maximum torque or maximum HP, though I think the first is more important here) or do you stand to gain if you wait a moment until the revs hit 11750-12000? I know redlining has been made more punishing this time but there seems to be a margin still between the beep and the 12000 RPM mark where power output takes a dip.

I guess I could answer those two myself if I had a dyno graph for F1 current engines but I can't find reliable data.

I cannot find a way to access my in game screenshots. I cannot find them in the files of my game and there is no easy way to access them from the menus as I am aware. Please help!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bananba said:

I cannot find a way to access my in game screenshots. I cannot find them in the files of my game and there is no easy way to access them from the menus as I am aware. Please help!

Try here: C:\Users\[Your_Username]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\photos

Edit: Looks like there is no screenshot folder under the F1 2020 folder, so open steam and go to Steam -> Settings -> In-Game and within that menu try to click on Screenshot folder. That's where you can change the folder too.

Edited by ragequit1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ragequit1 said:

Try here: C:\Users\[Your_Username]\Documents\My Games\F1 2020\photos

Edit: Looks like there is no screenshot folder under the F1 2020 folder, so open steam and go to Steam -> Settings -> In-Game and within that menu try to click on Screenshot folder. That's where you can change the folder too.

THANK YOU!!!

Edit: Nevermind, cannot find any screenshot folder with the screenshots. I made the screenshots with in game method, not F12

Edited by Bananba
Celebrated too soon

Posted (edited)

The only tip I can give right now is to start (if you are new to F1 games) without your AI too high. I started with 25, then turned up to 40 and now i'm on 80.

Edited by JamesCooperBE
  • Agree 1

I tend to use the following approach for my set up work.

Avoid time trial. It has no tyre wear.

Load up a "Grand Prix" and select Mercedes on the basis of it being the best car.

Input whatever set up you wish to try.

If after a few laps when the tyres are up to temp you are unsatisfied with the set up, click on restart session where it places you back on the grid. 

Amend set up and go again. 

This way, you see how your set handles with tyre wear and fuel loads etc.

• Like 1

@David Greco @PJTierney

Many thanks for all the tips and tricks with the game. I don’t suppose you have any tips on setups for the F2 cars. Doesn’t seem to be many online and if they are they’re more geared towards time trial. Was struggling hugely with tyre wear at Monaco even though “right right left left” on the camber and toe was helping on previous tracks. Also upped the linearity and saturation for the steering to make some of the tighter turns a bit easier on the controller but still seem to struggle with pace and the tyres at Monaco. Many thanks 

That's more a David question. While I'm okay at driving and general features I'm not so hot on F1 setups 🙂 

Glad you're enjoying the tips though, more videos are coming.

• Like 1

Despite in game manual/videos and even various verbal tips I feel that maybe there´s a possibility to add some info about how to correctly read the results of all the practice programs? ( Specially the fuel strat and the ERS program ) if you like me r keen on choosing the personal strat before a 50-100% race ( where it matters more maybe )? Because if I get this right all this data r there so u can partially do the math and the race strat yourself so to speak? 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pro tip:

"No heroics at Sainte-Dévote please".

Edited by Nas00
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nas00 said:

Pro tipp:

"No heroics at Sainte-Dévote please".

Listen to Jeff, he knows what he's talking about 😉 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

New guide 😮 

This is good.

I don't see why something can't be built into the game similar to this helping people fine tune the difficulty. Kinda similar to F1 CE practice sessions when fine tuning your parts. Go out set a lap on a specific level, computer recommends an AI level, accept and test that level in a quick session or reject and retry the lap. Keep going until you are happy and then confirm. Mode can be rerun at any time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, martbloke said:

This is good.

I don't see why something can't be built into the game similar to this helping people fine tune the difficulty. Kinda similar to F1 CE practice sessions when fine tuning your parts. Go out set a lap on a specific level, computer recommends an AI level, accept and test that level in a quick session or reject and retry the lap. Keep going until you are happy and then confirm. Mode can be rerun at any time.

Wasn´t there something like you r mentioning in an earlier CM F1 game ( when u first ran a "young drivers test" at the Abu Dhabi track ) to determine your difficulty level versus the AI? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Selsis said:

Wasn´t there something like you r mentioning in an earlier CM F1 game ( when u first ran a "young drivers test" at the Abu Dhabi track ) to determine your difficulty level versus the AI? 

Yep I believe so - either to set the AI difficulty and/or teams you can select from. Think probably 2015 or 2016 but can't remember off the top of my head. 

• Like 1