F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE | Season 3 starting 20/11 Read more... ×

F1® 2020 - Tips, Guides & Tutorials (+ share your own)

1 hour ago, Selsis said:

Wasn´t there something like you r mentioning in an earlier CM F1 game ( when u first ran a "young drivers test" at the Abu Dhabi track ) to determine your difficulty level versus the AI? 

Yep I believe so - either to set the AI difficulty and/or teams you can select from. Think probably 2015 or 2016 but can't remember off the top of my head. 

I think that was 2012.

image.png

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

That's really nice, they should be inside the game.

I feel that the learning curve is still a bit too steep as things changes year to year (like ERS use and charge management). It's probably even harder to people who don't follow F1. Even after watching the first video, I think I would have a hard time understanding what DRS is (it's missing a scene showing the flap opening).

AI Difficult is another issue, good to see a video about it. I tried to replicate but it's still gives very mixed results after "calibrating" several times on Barcelona (matching Force Indias at Barcelona, and then easily winning GPs at My Team with one of the worst cars in the grid).

Edited by emori

Another official guide up 🙂 

Nico Rosberg with a guide on Silverstone:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Nico Rosberg with a guide on Silverstone:

Definitely need one of these for Hanoi.  Really struggling to get to grips with the track although do enjoy the final part with the left and right turns. 

Posted (edited)

Hello

I want to know a little bit about the mechanics of safety car on F1 2020, because whenever there's yellow flag in race it always deploys safety car no matters if someone has serious engine problemy or gad a crash, but I've seen on YT that others have safety car deployed rarely, although on every single race there is at least one yellow flag. Are there any factors that determine the frequency of safety car being deployed in a race, or is it just completely normal, which I doubt due to having safety car deployed almost every race even when there's just a single person with common engine failure issue?

Edited by kubusplayer7

Hello! Please, tell me how to complete the practical tasks before the race. You need to drive through the gate. I'm driving fast, the gate is red. I'm driving slowly trying to hit them exactly - the gate is red. There is no explanation for this task in the game. How to go to complete this task.
This is the first game from Codemasters in 20 years that is annoying. No mouse, no explanations for the tasks. Write on the cover, "only for F1 fans who know the FIA rules and have experience driving Formula 1 cars in real life."
Sorry for the emotions. I have been trying to complete 1 task for a week.
Sorry for my english - this is google translator.
Thank you to those who will answer.

5 minutes ago, MogolRus said:

Hello! Please, tell me how to complete the practical tasks before the race. You need to drive through the gate. I'm driving fast, the gate is red. I'm driving slowly trying to hit them exactly - the gate is red. There is no explanation for this task in the game. How to go to complete this task.
This is the first game from Codemasters in 20 years that is annoying. No mouse, no explanations for the tasks. Write on the cover, "only for F1 fans who know the FIA rules and have experience driving Formula 1 cars in real life."
Sorry for the emotions. I have been trying to complete 1 task for a week.
Sorry for my english - this is google translator.
Thank you to those who will answer.

Hold down your horses a bit, mate! Haha there's no difference at all between all the practice programs from this year and the ones from F1 2019 – except, obviously, the ERS programme. I can't vouch for the previous entries as F1 2019 was my first one.

Plenty of tips and descriptions in the game, both in written form and in Jeff's soothing voice.

Nevertheless I'll copy and paste an old post of mine:

The thing with this programme is that your "score" (red, green or purple) derives from two facto:

• Positioning. The direction your nose is set to and the latitudinal position of the car relatively to the gate. You won't be getting any purple score if you technically cross the gate, but sideways for instance.
  • Speed. Your speed when crossing the gate relatively to the range the game thinks is ideal for that point.

There are 3 gates per corner: one for corner entry, one for mid corner/apex and one for corner exit. Unless the turn is a mere kink in the track, then it will be a single gate. With this 3-gates approach you're basically being assessed over your whole cornering ability:

• How well you hit your braking zone. Brake too early and your first corner will be green. Hit it too late and you'll be missing the apex, getting a green on the middle gate.
  • How well you settled into the racing line. Fail to correct oversteer or understeer and you'll get green on the middle or end gates.
  • How well you reapplied throttle. Fail to accelerate early on corner exit and you'll probably green the last gate. Accelerate too early and you either green by not crossing it in the right position or red it by going wide. 

This way you have instant feedback on how well you're accelerating with TC off. It will help you get to that edge of grip faster as you'll know when you're being too slow (great positioning, hitting the gate right in the middle, but greening it for not carrying the proper speed) or too fast (oh, ain't that my rear end spinning?).   

Try decreasing the AI level a bit, just a bit, to get a more lenient criteria and see if it helps.

The Track Acclm. programme is helluva underrated.

4 hours ago, marioho said:

The Track Acclm. programme is helluva underrated.

Perfect explanation.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, PJTierney said:

Another guide 🙂 

Re. the MFD, at 1:47 the caption state, "On the right is a white bar, showing you how much energy you can harvest during a lap." I don't personally follow this, since to me this would suggest a fixed value whereas when you brake the white bar moves to the right. It seems to be me a measure of how much energy has been recovered, although I'm not sure about this, or how to make use of the information. Any chance of some clarification? 

Edited by Ultra3142

46 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Ultra3142 F1 cars are allowed only to harvest 2MJ per lap so the limit of the bar is probably that cap.

Most reasonable explanation, since the deployment (green) bar also has a lap limit.

You rarely hit the harvest limit though, especially in F1 2020 where you can't select [0] during a race.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Most reasonable explanation, since the deployment (green) bar also has a lap limit.

You rarely hit the harvest limit though, especially in F1 2020 where you can't select [0] during a race.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer my question and I do think the video would benefit from an update.

What does the white bar actually indicate?

13 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

What does the white bar actually indicate?

The amount of energy harvested during the current lap.

@RS Phil I think you may have missed that my original question was in response to what is said in the video you just posted?

@Ultra3142 I think what gives is that you're all right.

You said that the white bar moves to indicate hope much energy has been generated v.g. when braking. Yep, that's it.

Tierney said the bar shows how much energy you can harvest on a lap top which you took as it being a fixed value. Yep, you're both right: the maximum amount of energy you can harvest is 2MJ, it is fixed, and the bar (positive + negative space) represents that.

It is the same with the green deployment bar. It shows simultaneously (1) the fixed value you can deploy on a lap, 4MJ, and (2) how much energy you're actually deploying, represented by the shrinking green bar.

I'm my experience everything ever uttered by a human being could potentially use some clarifying and it may be the case with this video too, but I don't particularly think that. It's clear enough to me - maybe because Tierney's voice is so lulling my reasoning gets dormant? And as I said I find it funny how no one is really wrong here, as far as I could understand your question.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to disagree with you here @marioho.

I think the (moving) white bar shows how much energy has been recovered as a function of time through the lap but this is not what the video text says. Either I'm wrong or I believe the text is misleading/unclear. The instantaneous value doesn't relate to the limit unless it has reached the limit.

Let me use the speedometer as an analogy. The speedometer shows the current speed of a vehicle. If someone said that the speedometer shows how fast a car CAN go this would be misleading/incomplete. If you looked at the speedo when the car was travelling at its top speed it would but this isn't its primary function.

Where the 2 MJ per limit sits on the scale the white bar moves over is an interesting question though, as actually is how the scale for this bar relates to the others. For myself I'm still trying to work out if the white bar really tells me anything useful but the key reason for my initial question is that I do think lots of people have questions about ERS in the new game but I think this particular aspect could have been explained better. 

Edited by Ultra3142

Here's the bar for reference:

image.png

As you harvest energy (usually when coasting or braking), the bar goes up.

You're only allowed to harvest a certain amount per lap, and when the bar reaches maximum, you can't harvest any more. I don't know the hard numbers, they're irrelevant in the context of this video since it's not a deep drilldown into the physics, it's a surface level guide on how to use your battery.

As mentioned before, in a normal racing situation you will likely never reach this limit as ERS [1], the lowest setting you can use in a race, constantly deploys a small amount of energy on-throttle, and a much larger amount when you use Overtake [3].

One could try running None [0] in Free Practice and test it out though, but for the target audience (beginners) Overtake is a more important thing to understand which is why the video goes into far more detail on that aspect 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Here's the bar for reference:

image.png

As you harvest energy (usually when coasting or braking), the bar goes up.

You're only allowed to harvest a certain amount per lap, and when the bar reaches maximum, you can't harvest any more. I don't know the hard numbers, they're irrelevant in the context of this video since it's not a deep drilldown into the physics, it's a surface level guide on how to use your battery.

As mentioned before, in a normal racing situation you will likely never reach this limit as ERS [1], the lowest setting you can use in a race, constantly deploys a small amount of energy on-throttle, and a much larger amount when you use Overtake [3].

One could try running None [0] in Free Practice and test it out though, but for the target audience (beginners) Overtake is a more important thing to understand which is why the video goes into far more detail on that aspect 🙂 

Thanks. As above I'd personally suggest adjusting the wording in the video to avoid confusion.

Can't without reuploading the whole thing 😞 

Might do a pinned comment though.

That being said, this is still technically correct but the wording may not be as parsable to people who don't speak native English.

When I say "bar", I usually refer to the empty + filled section as a complete unit. Y'know, like a health bar 🙂 

image.png

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Can't without reuploading the whole thing 😞 

Might do a pinned comment though.

That being said, this is still technically correct but the wording may not be as parsable to people who don't speak native English.

When I say "bar", I usually refer to the empty + filled section as a complete unit. Y'know, like a health bar 🙂 

image.png

I'm not convinced it is technically correct really as I tried to explain above but I absolutely appreciate you/others may think I'm being fussy. It did confuse me initially when I read it, although I did then realise it couldn't mean what was actually stated. I may well be in a very small minority though. I don't know.

For what it's worth I appreciate too it would need to be a re-upload but the change would just be to the text which I'd have thought would be fairly straightforward? Simply changing "showing you how much energy you can harvest during the lap" to "showing you how much energy has been harvested during the lap" would do it I think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Ultra3142 I'm legitimately curious as I did not truly see where you're coming from.

There are 5 bars on that HUD: two for throttle and brake, one for ERS storage, one for ERS deployment and one for ERS harvesting. To me they all work the same, having a hard cap baked into their design. With no exception. And the movement you see with the colorful filling going up and down reflects your current state.

• Brake & Throttle: the bar sets to hard caps, 0% and 100%, and the colorful filling indicates your brake/throttle level of application at that current time;
  • ERS: the bar sets the 0% and 100% hard caps and the colorful filling indicates how much energy you have in store;
  • ERS deployment: the bar sets the 0-100% caps that I believe would correlate to 4-0MJ of energy available for deployment; with the colorful filling indicating how much energy you still have available on that lap. The bar does not go up during a lap, it can only decrease until you cross the finish line and it resets to 100% again for the following lap;
  • ERS harvesting: Same, correlating I believe to 0-2MJ of maximum harvesting you can do on a lap, with the colorful filling indicating how much you've accrued on that lap already. I may be mistaken here but I think the white bar does not go down during a lap, it only resets to 0 once you cross the finish line in order to record the 0-2MJ max harvesting of the new lap.

Actually mutatis mutandis it is the same wording for the deployment bar:

image.png.29c878a77d57941e79108dd39c98839d.png

As I said I just don't see a contradiction between your point and the legend wording.

Edit: if I'm right about the white bar not going down during the lap, then it makes perfect sense as the 4MJ for deployment and the 2MJ for harvesting are absolute limits imposed by the FIA. They do not work in function of your ERS balance. All you can do is to influence how much and how fast the respective bars will move, but the deployment bar will always deplete during a lap and the harvest bar will always fill up.

Just to err on the side of being overly technical, these bars are probably referring to the MGU-K deployment and recovery rates, with the limits being the ones I've thrown above. The MGU-H has no limit whatsoever.

image.thumb.png.728805ce7db3037e6c88e24f637c916f.png

Edited by marioho

39 minutes ago, marioho said:

As I said I just don't see a contradiction between your point and the legend wording.

I think my speedometer analogy explained this best but let me try with your examples. The brake and accelerator bars show what level each is at any point in time, not how hard someone can accelerate, or how hard someone can brake. So how hard someone is braking or how hard someone is accelerating. The crucial distinction is that it is a real-time display of changing information.

In case this is where the confusion arises, the white 'bar' to me is the actual white bit, not the limit it could possibly reach. Just like you'd look at the needle on a traditional speedometer not what the maximum number round the dial is.