Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Graphics are over exposed / washed out

Posted (edited)

Console: Xbox One X

Version: v1.2

Accessories: Thrustmaster TX & Gamepad

Issue: The in game lighting seems 'over exposed' or 'washed out' on most occasions. The in game lighting is too bright and is washing out colours. A good example is the video I have provided below, particularly it can be seen in the car showroom on the liveries especially the Ferrari for example compared to last year (at 1m45s) and for example the shots of Austria (at 52s video)  (All settings in video identical). The level of 2019 'brightness/lighting' is much better, can this be fixed as 2020 looks a visually less appealing game being washed out 

What have you tried: Tried HDR ON/OFF obviously more noticeable with HDR as  obviously with the larger range it magnifies the problem, tried different settings and even different tv's, its an Ingame lighting issue its hardcoded into the game.

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1

I agree the white balance or brightness is off.

Always hated that TT defaults to Midday instead of Official.

At Bahrain you need RayBans to see the track let alone anything else.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Console: Xbox One X

Version: v1.2

Accessories: Thrustmaster TX & Gamepad

Issue: The in game lighting seems 'over exposed' or 'washed out' on most occasions. The in game lighting is too bright and is washing out colours. A good example is the video I have provided below, particularly it can be seen in the car showroom on the liveries especially the Ferrari for example compared to last year (at 1m45s) and for example the shots of Austria (at 52s video).

What have you tried: Tried HDR ON/OFF obviously more noticeable with HDR as it magnifies the problem, different settings and even different tv's, its an Ingame lighting issue 

Good video, plenty of effort to put that together.

Were the video with the same / comparable settings? (Defaults? And which Ultra High?)

Edited by TeenierNeilb69

Posted (edited)

A perfect example of the game lighting needing tweaked as it is making the 2020 game look terrible. Here is the same corner and settings notice the 2020 tarmac and car has totally lost colour and detail compared to 2019 due to over powerful lighting issue 

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 15.09.55.png

Edited by TomAAA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

From dev feedback, can you confirm that you're examples have been taken at the exact 'time of day' for each settings. Looks like, at face value, the times of day are different.

I really don't know what it could be, really not an expert, but when I launched game for the first time, I used same graphics settings as in F1 2019 and immediately saw that colours really aren't as nice and colorful as in F1 2019. Brightness is just too much in this game, and in the end game really looks kind of washed. This year, instead of atleast keeping same graphics or some upgrade, game looks bit worse and still think that F1 2019 was just nicer looking game. Hope there will be some update adjusting lighting of the game, because it is shame having good game, let down by it's graphics.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BarryBL said:

From dev feedback, can you confirm that you're examples have been taken at the exact 'time of day' for each settings. Looks like, at face value, the times of day are different.

Yeah both were at game setting of "Midday" 

The best example of overall lighting change is in the showroom in the video above showing the Ferrari at 1m 45s etc. As the showroom is a controlled lighting environment you can see 2020 is much more washed out due to over exposure. As someone who uses a DSLR camera, I would say  the overall exposure needs dialled back by around -0.3 ev is the best analogy I can give

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Yeah both were at game setting of "Midday" 

The best example of overall lighting change is in the showroom in the video above showing the Ferrari at 1m 45s etc. As someone who uses a DSLR camera, I would say  the overall exposure needs dialled back by around -0.3 ev is the best analogy I can give

Photo mode in game has an exposure value. Some comparisons at the same time of day might show why both games appear different.

Hi, i’m playing F1 2020 game since premiere and I still have got very annoying bug with low quality graphics/textures. I hope for a patch. I have F1 2019 and everything is OK but in F1 2020 it is really bad.

1.       A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here
During pre-race cutscenes and during training and qualifications cutscenes, textures are really poor. I mean race suits, gloves, helmets and etc. On after race scenes everything is alright. Also when there is grid order scene drivers have got poor quality suits and faces and caps. Sometimes team badge is also pixeled. This thing is in My Team and in F2. It is like anti-aliasing is off. There are a lot of pixels on car also.

2.       Platform

Xbox One S

3.       What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen) 

1.02 (the newest one)

4.       Game-mode? 

My Team

5.       What are your replication numbers? Minimum test attempts are 4. Please also add EXACT replication steps for us to try too. 

I tried some new saves in My Team mode (5 times). I mean new careers. Every time it was the same situation. All you need to find it is to start a new career in My Team and you will have it on the first race in Australia. I raced whole season and at every track it was the same.

6.       What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

Re-installing the game, restarting the game, new saves in My Team (new careers). Nothing happens after that too.

7.       What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc) 

I use steering wheel: Logitech G920 for Xbox One

8.       Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.   

Unfortunately, I don’t have any screenshots or videos but there are a lot of on the forum. I will try to take some and add as soon as it’s possible

Basicly, i want to race and have a good fun in good quality of textures as it was in F1 2019. I hope for a patch which will repair it.

I have to agree. I don’t think it’s just the brightness but actually the overall graphics. They seem to have gotten worse in comparison to last year. I’m using a 4K 120hz tv so it’s not my tv, emphasised by the fact that F1 2019 still looks amazing. A lot of the textures look pixelated. I’m on the PS4 so do I have to create a bug report? @BarryBL?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

A video would be fine, and if you have a link would be fine too. Video is always preferred.

There is also link from Forums where there are some photos:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

I will merge your post to the existing one.

Thanks for help, I hope for patch

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1512marcel said:

I will merge your post to the existing one.

@1512marcel  Why have you merged this into my bug report it has nothing to do with my original bug report which is about game engine Lighting being Overexposed

My bug report has nothing to do with pixellated graphics of the original xbox, which is a different platform for a start and there is nothing wrong with the graphics, this thread as confirmed with Barry is about lighting exposure hence the title and description please unmerge

Edited by TomAAA

27 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

@1512marcel  Why have you merged this into my bug report it has nothing to do with my original bug report which is about game engine Lighting being Overexposed

My bug report has nothing to do with pixellated graphics of the original xbox, which is a different platform for a start and there is nothing wrong with the graphics, this thread as confirmed with Barry is about lighting exposure hence the title and description please unmerge

I think it’s all about graphics so...

1 minute ago, BartexBucket said:

I think it’s all about graphics so...

No for the devs to investigate the topics must be clear, I do not have any of the issue you mentioned on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. These should be two separate threads so the devs can investigate each one 

Just now, TomAAA said:

No for the devs to investigate the topics must be clear, I do not have any of the issue you mentioned on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. These should be two separate threads so the devs can investigate each one 

Ohh...Ok, no problem

Not surprised they didn't fix this, game looks awful, had to put the gamma way down. Worst looking F1 this gen.