F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Thoughts on AI Behaviour?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the AI behaviour in the game?

Ill be honest and say currently I think they are currently way better on 2019. I find that during races, cars will only overtake each other if they are considerably faster than the car infront. In 2019, similarly matched AI cars could be seen battling with each other like in real life but that just doesn’t seem to happen now, instead they just sit in trains and don’t make any attempt to overtake. Still, the rest of the game is very good and hopefully this can be improved with further patches. 

I've only had 1 race and none of the top 10 swapped positions the whole race.

• Agree 1

I think, in general, the AI so far have been fairly lifelike. I’ll see them respond to me and try to block. I’ve had some decent side by side moments. BUT, and it’s a big but, I’ve also noticed some really odd moments. I’m running a shortened F2 season with AI set to 94 difficulty, and I’ve been caught out by them moving over to block in response to me, but they move over to block under braking when I’m right behind. I’ll be off the racing line to pass, and I’ll basically be brake tested. I’m fairly certain the blocking under braking is worthy of a penalty in real life. Also, I had an AI car pass myself and two other AI cars under yellow, which is weird because the rest of the field was going extremely slow for the yellow. That’s my other point, the AI seem to go too slow during the formation laps and any time under yellow. I’m having to almost completely stop my car to stay behind at points. Overall, improvements were made and it’s a challenge to race them, but it sometimes is a challenge for the wrong reasons. 

I think the AI cars are a bit docile and don’t react as you’d imagine a real F1 driver would. I’ve parked on corners on purpose, and every car coming behind drives into me and then into each other. None of them try and avoid the accident. Done that after the final corner at Australia as well. Got driven straight into when there was more than enough time to react 

Posted (edited)

I had a great race against the AI with tough duels. After the race I looked at the replay and found out that the AI used the overtake button very well. This also explains why I mostly found it so difficult to overtake someone, or why I was attacked so hard.

So far I can not find any criticisms. You can always improve something, but the AI does a good job as far as I can tell.

Edited by ndrst

Jekyll and Hyde. In Vietnam, relentlessly quick on the back straight. Flip side, side by side and got squeezed into the wall and too often they turn in on you and wreck their front wing and race when sense would say either defend the inside or yield.

Then for the past 2 races I've been in front of Hamilton by between 6 tenths and a second almost the entire time and he tried one half-hearted overtake move. There's seems to be no consistency or no correlation to real-life personality. They go for divebombs in stupid places and spear off into the wall but given the pace advantage they don't set you up and attack you like their real counterparts do. They like a perma-version of Grosjean at Abu Dhabi.

Oh, and completely illogical 2 stops, with 5 laps to go, pitted at the same time as others for the same tyre and have 10-15 second gap behind and they give up the podium.

Yeah the pit stops are odd, especially in the rain. Some of them seem to want fresh inters every few laps!

Overall the AI are great I think. They’ve definitely improved since last year and they were already very good compared to other racing games.

I have had one instance of them moving over to block me under breaking though, which shocked me. I put it down to a one off but hope its not a common thing.

Not sure if it's general behaviour or just the difficulty I'm on (85). But the AI cannot overtake another AI car that is slow in the corners. But it also can't get past on the straights because the slow car is going full speed.

Last race for Catalunya with Renault and Alpha Tauri P1/P2 becuase the Mercs/Red Bulls/Ferraris wouldn't overtake. The faster strategy was to 2 stop, which all the top 10 did. But what this did was after their first stop the "leaders" got stuck behind the long stinters. On the map it looked like there was a safety car. After the 1 stoppers pitted it mixed it up a little, but then the leaders pitted again and the same thing happened. I can get past if I get my elbows out which seems to open it up for the faster cars.

I don't mind it mixing it up a little, but it was like watching a couple of safety cars going around the track and is putting my rivals in high points positions.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, jacetech said:

Not sure if it's general behaviour or just the difficulty I'm on (85). But the AI cannot overtake another AI car that is slow in the corners. But it also can't get past on the straights because the slow car is going full speed.

Last race for Catalunya with Renault and Alpha Tauri P1/P2 becuase the Mercs/Red Bulls/Ferraris wouldn't overtake. The faster strategy was to 2 stop, which all the top 10 did. But what this did was after their first stop the "leaders" got stuck behind the long stinters. On the map it looked like there was a safety car. After the 1 stoppers pitted it mixed it up a little, but then the leaders pitted again and the same thing happened. I can get past if I get my elbows out which seems to open it up for the faster cars.

I don't mind it mixing it up a little, but it was like watching a couple of safety cars going around the track and is putting my rivals in high points positions.

This is exactly the sort of thing I experience in races, which is a shame because AI had no problem overtaking in 2019.

Have the same issue, the top 3 teams can overtake each other but just cannot overtake midfield cars even on fresher tyres. They should be blasting past.

Had a great 5 corner ding dong with LeClerc at Zandvoort, but at the same time Hamilton was stuck behind Sainz for 15 laps.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The AI when dealing with the human player is quite and maybe even too aggressive, it'll attempt moves that have no chance of success and guarantees of broken front wings, not entirely unrealistic mind you (see Vettel vs. Sainz last weekend) just pointing it out. This is the same as in 2019. It has always been tuned down a bit when against itself and especially when they are out of your vision, which does annoy me a little because it'd be nice to see more collisions, mistakes and moves like Vettel v. Sainz and Albon v. Hamilton, they happen.

However this year it seems even more tuned down in terms of aggression against itself. I know the AI does make mistakes now, but I've only seen it happen once out of 12 mostly full length races. Maybe it happened off screen while i wasn't looking but knowing how the AI handles itself when you aren't looking, I doubt it. On a slightly separate topic it does bother me a little that they make all these changes to handling and stuff like that and the AI still drives around like it's on rails. I don't want them making mistakes every lap but it just looks... off.

I do full race distances, and in China for example, Gasly in the Alpha Tauri literally 'ruined' the race of almost every front runner who simply refused to pass him despite being on worn mediums against their fresh mediums and obviously having much better cars. I had qualified 12th and started on the mediums and was on a much more conservative strategy so was ahead of that 'chain' and ended up with a podium finish because of it while the Red Bull's and Mclaren's scored zip despite starting well in the top 10 but pitted early cus they were on softs due to getting into Q3. The point is once, Gasly pitted they lapped three seconds a lap faster. China isn't the hardest circuit to overtake on either it's certainly not Monaco if I were in Gasly's position, I'd have been getting passed like crazy in the long back straight DRS zone. Something similar did happen in Spain but it wasn't 'quite' as bad but still a bunch of cars got stuck behind the Williams pair. 

Edited by Peachrocks
  • Agree 2

1.   A description of the issue. Please include any error codes here.

In free practice and qualification it often happens that the AI block the route because they let each other pass the whole time and then reduce their speed so much that they drive next to each other in 4-5 cars.

2.   What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

Patch 1.08

3.   Game-mode?

The game mode is online league , which I play with my Dad, my Friend and 17 AI drivers.

4.   Are you able to recreate the issue? If so, please include recreation steps on how you encountered this issue.

if you drive outlap or inlap and drive a little slower next to the ideal line and the AI comes from behind, you will first be overtaken and then suddenly the AI brakes very strongly and lets me drive past again. and the AI does that all the time. and when you have several vehicles behind you, they all brake the whole time so hard that a real traffic jam arises. they sometimes drive 4-5 cars next to each other like yesterday in spa in the drs zone

5.   How often do you see this problem? Is it the only time or does it always happen?

always

6.   Have you tried any troubleshooting? We recommend the steps here as a starting point for any issues. Please let us know what troubleshooting methods you have tried while creating this post.

7.   Any accessories you are using (gamepad, wheel etc)

Thrustmaster TMX

8.   Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears.

• Agree 1

I confirm and easily replicable. In lap and out lap is a nightmare with AI.

I can confirm. The first time I saw the AI side by side in practice I thought they were battling each other but it turned out they wanted to let each other pass. Fortunately I wasn't close to them so they didn't slow me down