Jump to content
F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

F2 inclusion in driver career mode not what I read it would be

Recommended Posts

I wasn't sure whether to post this because I don't like posting negative stuff, but I really need to express the following.

I've just spent the whole of my Schumi edition early access time (since Monday afternoon) doing a full F2 season in driver career mode - including the practice programs - under the impression that how I do in it would have an effect on which F1 teams come in for me in the next season and have an effect on my reptutation (I definitely read this somewhere about a month or so ago but I can't remember where).

And so I finished 3rd in the F2 championship, full season, 50% races, did all the grind because I thought it was meaningful and was presented with a standard "choose an F1 team" screen. There appears to be no knock-on effect on your reputation, there's no contract negotiation with teams being impressed by your performance in F2. And the drivers who beat me to first and second (Matsushita and Hubert) are nowhere to be seen, they weren't promoted to F1 at all.

The practice programs mean nothing, the results mean nothing, who wins the championship means nothing. It's just last year's championship mode bolted on the front and it's disappointing. If I had known it was just an "experience" intro season, I would have skipped it and just got straight into the good stuff from Day 1.

So much more could've been done with this, considering the new driver market and contract system. And I really wanted to see Matsushita and Hubert promoted to F1 with me.

Was it *supposed* to have all these effects and then it was withdrawn at the last minute? Or was whoever said it (I'm trying to remember where I read it) telling porkies?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So true, there is so much potential in F2 series, but instead of actually trying to make something interesting out of it, it is just some races that don't mean anything. I have done F2 for exactly same reason as you, but was really let down after I finished F2 races.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

REALLY!? That's BS! This news means that the F2 part of career is more pointless than last year!

I've just finished Bahrain (full quali and 50% races) and was planning on doing the full season.

I was wondering why there was no reputation screens showing a decrease when I crashed out of practice or an increase when I won the sprint race. This explains it. Also, what the frig is the point in the practice programs then!?

I'm so torn by this game, the handling is fantastic, but so many other areas seem like a backwards step or just plain not finished. Maybe I get a refund and buy it cheaper later in the year.

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's too bad. I thought the same as well.  Maybe next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, s00zster said:

Was it *supposed* to have all these effects and then it was withdrawn at the last minute? Or was whoever said it (I'm trying to remember where I read it) telling porkies?

For what it's worth, I could've sworn that I'd read/heard this somewhere too. I've just done a Google search and came across this article which I don't think I've read before. https://www.gtplanet.net/f1-2020-feature-reveal-20200702/ 

 

Below is a quote from it:

"Your F2 showing will affect how teams may view you as a potential F1 driver,"

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is likely the article I'd read. https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/06/f1-2020-by-codemasters-reviewed/

"You have different options of how to begin your career. You can now opt to first run a complete season of Formula 2 before entering Formula 1, or a shortened season of one race per weekend, or drive three short scenarios as in F1 2019. How you perform in F2 affects your reputation when you move into Formula 1, but you can choose to bypass F2 entirely if you prefer."

So at least two sources that directly state this was supposed to be the case. @BarryBL could you find an answer for us please?

Edited by CarloLewis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

This is likely the article I'd read. https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/06/f1-2020-by-codemasters-reviewed/

"You have different options of how to begin your career. You can now opt to first run a complete season of Formula 2 before entering Formula 1, or a shortened season of one race per weekend, or drive three short scenarios as in F1 2019. How you perform in F2 affects your reputation when you move into Formula 1, but you can choose to bypass F2 entirely if you prefer."

So at least two sources that directly state this was supposed to be the case. @BarryBL could you find an answer for us please?

I think the answer is in the game, lol. Sounds like F2 doesn't affect anything and either the articles have misled everyone or they were misled by Codies 🤔😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has anyone tried just totally bombing f2 like finishing last every round and see if your options become more limited?

Just wondering if the bar for everyone to be open is set quite low.

Regarding other drivers not moving up the f2 is supposed to be the year before so apart from latifi everyone else is gonna just be a free agent due to you coming into an already set in stone f1 2020 driver line up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

This is likely the article I'd read. https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/06/f1-2020-by-codemasters-reviewed/

"You have different options of how to begin your career. You can now opt to first run a complete season of Formula 2 before entering Formula 1, or a shortened season of one race per weekend, or drive three short scenarios as in F1 2019. How you perform in F2 affects your reputation when you move into Formula 1, but you can choose to bypass F2 entirely if you prefer."

So at least two sources that directly state this was supposed to be the case. @BarryBL could you find an answer for us please?

Both the articles you referred to were seemingly published in the past week or so. I saw references to the F2 mechanics about a month ago, perhaps earlier. I still can't remember where, it might've been one that was retweeted by Lee Mather on Twitter, and it's been one of the things I've been looking forward to for all that time due to the authenticity of the experience it would have offered.

Also, regarding the practice programs, they gave me more reason to believe there was something deeper to my performances in F2. While they didn't give any R&D points - all the cars are the same in F2, so the points wouldn't be needed - they *existed*, so I automatically assumed it was something "under the hood" that was being calculated.

 

17 minutes ago, TheCroc84 said:

has anyone tried just totally bombing f2 like finishing last every round and see if your options become more limited?

Just wondering if the bar for everyone to be open is set quite low.

Could be, no idea. The screen I had was the same as the team select screen in 2019 - all the team logos and a "vehicle performance" chart on the right. Perhaps if I finished lower, the higher-end teams would be greyed out?

Honestly thought it would be more like "Williams, Renault and Alpha Tauri were impressed with you performance in the F2 championship, and they have all offered you a contract" and you choose and it's a more connected continuation of things.

Edited by s00zster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, s00zster said:

I wasn't sure whether to post this because I don't like posting negative stuff, but I really need to express the following.

I've just spent the whole of my Schumi edition early access time (since Monday afternoon) doing a full F2 season in driver career mode - including the practice programs - under the impression that how I do in it would have an effect on which F1 teams come in for me in the next season and have an effect on my reptutation (I definitely read this somewhere about a month or so ago but I can't remember where).

And so I finished 3rd in the F2 championship, full season, 50% races, did all the grind because I thought it was meaningful and was presented with a standard "choose an F1 team" screen. There appears to be no knock-on effect on your reputation, there's no contract negotiation with teams being impressed by your performance in F2. And the drivers who beat me to first and second (Matsushita and Hubert) are nowhere to be seen, they weren't promoted to F1 at all.

The practice programs mean nothing, the results mean nothing, who wins the championship means nothing. It's just last year's championship mode bolted on the front and it's disappointing. If I had known it was just an "experience" intro season, I would have skipped it and just got straight into the good stuff from Day 1.

So much more could've been done with this, considering the new driver market and contract system. And I really wanted to see Matsushita and Hubert promoted to F1 with me.

Was it *supposed* to have all these effects and then it was withdrawn at the last minute? Or was whoever said it (I'm trying to remember where I read it) telling porkies?

Each F2 starting scenario says "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Lewis44TheWin said:

Each F2 starting scenario says "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1."

There's zero feedback on how I'm viewed though. Unless it was, as previously mentioned, a matter of which teams would be selectable depending on my finishing position. I just thought it would be a lot deeper than what would essentially be a basic unlockable menu system. F1 2012 had that with the Young Driver Program, depending on how many tests you passed, you'd unlock one more F1 team to be able to join. But at least you had feedback of your progression and what you were being rewarded with.

There was nothing here, throughout the entire F2 season and when you're taken into F1, zero feedback with how you're viewed or what your reward could be. It was just "pick a team and go", and you're thinking "wait, that's it?" Like I said, it just felt like last year's F2 championship mode bolted onto the front and then linked into normal career mode, the only difference being you were using your character instead of choosing an F2 driver. It's a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think the better set up with progression were the early games where you HAD to start with one of the lower teams, caterham, Marussia and HRT and could only move to higher rated teams by building up your rep. And like s00zster said they had the young driver program in 2012 so this system has been Tried and tested before. I really dislike that you can just pick any team to start with. Surely it’s a 10 year career for a reason...

Edited by johnboy83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new contract system in career mode, I was also hoping that the F2 career had an impact on which teams would sign you.

Like with MyTeam, finishing well could give you more acclaim. Win the F2 championship and you could sign for anyone (though driving for a big team would be more risky); sit in the midfield somewhere and you might get a drive for a lesser car.

It's a shame there isn't any more depth to it, though I'm enjoying driving as my own character in F2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WhiteStormSK said:

I am on PC

Thanks. I was hoping that you both were on Xbox and there was a slim chance that this had been fixed come 1.03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, s00zster said:

PC

I have a feeling it's by design, unfortunately.

Me too. Real shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just started a test. 

Doing the F2 taster series twice. 1st test I'm going to crash out every session and 2nd I'm going to win each session.

Both times will be 5 laps, 0% AI. Both times choosing the Merc drivers academy, Carlin as the team and no commenting every question from Claire. The only variable will be performance. I'll report back after.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarloLewis said:

I've just started a test. 

Doing the F2 taster series twice. 1st test I'm going to crash out every session and 2nd I'm going to win each session.

Both times will be 5 laps, 0% AI. Both times choosing the Merc drivers academy, Carlin as the team and no commenting every question from Claire. The only variable will be performance. I'll report back after.

 

Just so you know, I never had any interaction with Claire during the F2 season. Like I said, it was just like playing the championship mode. Finish a race weekend, straight onto the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, the results are in...

Absolutely no difference at all. Exactly the same acclaim level (6), exactly the same starting money ($300k), exactly the same starting resource points (2,750), exactly the same market value ($2m), exactly the same contract length (132d) and exactly the same driver perks (none).

So despite the hype and dispite the fact that it even says "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1." on each of the ****** experiences, there is naff all difference in how you perform.

I'm severely disappointed in this. @BarryBL please tell me this is a bug and NOT by design!?

 

1594484408948627806969375361607.jpg

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, CarloLewis said:

Ok, the results are in...

Absolutely no difference at all. Exactly the same acclaim level (6), exactly the same starting money ($300k), exactly the same starting resource points (2,750), exactly the same market value ($2m), exactly the same contract length (132d) and exactly the same driver perks (none).

So despite the hype and dispite the fact that it even says "How you perform will affect how you are viewed in Formula 1." on each of the ****** experiences, there is naff all difference in how you perform.

I'm severely disappointed in this. @BarryBL please tell me this is a bug and NOT by design!?

 

1594484408948627806969375361607.jpg

This has to be broken.

I've also just realised something - despite coming third in F2, my starting value in F1 was only $250k - compare that to the likes of Schumacher ($1m) or Jack Aitken ($1.5m), their default values in MyTeam and neither of them finished ahead of me in F2 Driver Career. I should be worth at least that, if not more.

Would be great to get some feedback from @BarryBL on this. F2 just doesn't have the effect on your F1 career as stated.

Edit: Also, my starting acclaim in F1 after coming 3rd in F2 was 1.

Edited by s00zster
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I hope you're right that is broken.  It would be nice if they can fix it in a patch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started my F2 career last night hoping that it would integrate really well with the F1 career mode but now I have read this I don't see any point in actually taking part in it now!

Such a shame, Codies really need to have a rethink on this mode and how to make it properly affect an F1 career mode!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×