F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Seriously Codemasters?? Nonsense Micro-transactions and in-game currency in a fully priced game!

I like that you are adding new content with each season, but why adding stupid ingame currency?

For example Forza Horizon 4 have new update every month that adds new cars you get by completing set of challenges, and it is fun, game is out for year and half, and you still have new content added which keep game alive.

The thing is that if you want new content you play the game, but you dont need to spend any ingame currency, you just play the game, so even new players can get everything.

This is the problem in F1 2020 if I spend all those points I have for VIP Pass and dont complete everything, I lost points and dont have enough for new season.

This exactly what CM wants, to run you out of ingame currency, so they can charge you more money. It is horrible anti consumer attitude and with this you really just showed that you want more money.

I bought full priced game for nearly 60€, EVERYTHING added to game should be free. 

I would gladly pay for some classic tracks DLC, but no adding ingame currency is much easier way getting money from people.

I was hoping you can be better than that Codemasters, but I see where you are going, and that is full EA.

• Agree 3

I've done 8 races 100% and 50 online 5/3lap races and I've almost unlocked everything. I agree the in game currency is a bit unnecessary and shouldn't be able to buy more of it with actual money. I personally have not seen a custom item which made me think "oh I wouldn't mind spending some money on that" 

Posted (edited)

I've always been against MTX in full priced AAA games. They shouldn't be there full stop even if I can earn the item through just playing the game. It's feeding on those that have little will power to get more money from them and IMO is wrong. 

I'm fine with items held back for you to EARN them through skill or progression as a challenge or some kind of badge of honour but to add a monetary value to them teasing people to pay extra to get them early even though they are a apart of the full game that you've already paid for is just a greedy tactic to get more money. 

Yes I don't have to buy into it all and I won't but that's not the point. If things have been created for the final game to be unlocked by players by playing through, then you should not attach money to said items for people to be tempted to put more money into it. If you want to do something similar, create additional content and add-ons which can be purchased in ADDITION to the full game but don't then cut out part of the full game just to sell later. What I mean is obvious things that should already be a part of the full game clearly just kept back to sell back to us later.

It's all about profit and feeding on those that just have to have things now with no will power. Basically like those who choose to pre-order the "special edition" to get early access. The content is not worth a 1/3 of the price of the full game firstly so these companies are rubbing their hands with greed. It's got nought to do with supporting the company and that **** excuse. If you want to do that go and invest in them. They make a decent profit from these games already otherwise they would've upped the base price of the game or given in already.

MTX is OK in Fortnite or games similar as it's a free game. This is not!

Anyways just a rant as I hate MTX in paid games although they may be optional - shoddy business practice. 

Edited by martbloke
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

2018: "I'm so glad that Codemasters haven't jumped on the microtransactions train, I love all these free customization options"
2019: "Hey, you don't necessarily have to buy the premium stuff if you don't want to, the free customization options are enough for most"
2020: "Sure, they only gave us a few free, very basic customization options and locked the rest behind a Podium Pass but it's only cosmetics and you don't have to buy or grind them if you don't want to"
2021: "Well, yeah, it's Pay-to-Win but it only applies to single player, seriously, it's no biggie"
2022: "Teams in real F1 need to spend tons of money if they want to win, why should it be any different in the official F1 game? You already spend money on your wheel and pedals, why not a better engine? Every tenth counts in the world of eSports"

Can see it going this way, to be honest. I understand that the people of Codemasters are trying to make the system fair and fun but a) it is still a system that is designed from ground up to be as addicting as possible* and I can guarantee you it will not be tweaked to be less addicting in future games and b) Codemasters is a public company that has shareholders that expect constantly increasing profits without caring how it is achieved, as long as the profits and therefore the price of their shares goes up forever and ever.  

My own experience with the F1 2020 Podium Pass: I haven't played much Career (MSC helmets not fixed) or MyTeam (need to grind livery/suit/gloves first) yet but I'm already on tier 11 even though I haven't bought the VIP. It takes about three 50% races or challenges to complete a tier so that's fair enough, I guess. Still debating whether I should buy the VIP or not since none of the items in that part of the pass interest me.  

*I'm not saying that Codemasters came up with it on their own but that they've taken a template that has been extensively studied/researched and that works from other games

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, martbloke said:

I've always been against MTX in full priced AAA games. They shouldn't be there full stop even if I can earn the item through just playing the game. It's feeding on those that have little will power to get more money from them and IMO is wrong. 

I'm fine with items held back for you to EARN them through skill or progression as a challenge or some kind of badge of honour but to add a monetary value to them teasing people to pay extra to get them early even though they are a apart of the full game that you've already paid for is just a greedy tactic to get more money. 

Yes I don't have to buy into it all and I won't but that's not the point. If things have been created for the final game to be unlocked by players by playing through, then you should not attach money to said items for people to be tempted to put more money into it. If you want to do something similar, create additional content and add-ons which can be purchased in ADDITION to the full game but don't then cut out part of the full game just to sell later. What I mean is obvious things that should already be a part of the full game clearly just kept back to sell back to us later.

It's all about profit and feeding on those that just have to have things now with no will power. Basically like those who choose to pre-order the "special edition" to get early access. The content is not worth a 1/3 of the price of the full game firstly so these companies are rubbing their hands with greed. It's got nought to do with supporting the company and that **** excuse. If you want to do that go and invest in them. They make a decent profit from these games already otherwise they would've upped the base price of the game or given in already.

MTX is OK in Fortnite or games similar as it's a free game. This is not!

Anyways just a rant as I hate MTX in paid games although they may be optional - shoddy business

Totally agree with you. Cutting out content in a fully priced game to try and sell it back to people at a later date is nothing more than a sleazy con. And to use the excuse of "it's to encourage people to play the game more" is ridiculous. If you're game is good and the modes are fun, then people WILL play and explore the game naturally. I really don't understand people who are trying to defend this, especially when we've had a lot of customisable helmet designs etc for free, available to everyone at the start of the game in pretty much every other F1 game!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

16 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

@BarryBL a genuine question re VIP pass. Let's say that I haven't been able to purchase VIP yet due to some missing coins. I've progressed to level 5 of the free tier, when I purchase VIP, will that unlock all the items that I would've earned?

Yes. Whenever you redeem the VIP, you'll get the tiers you've already earned. Like in Fortnite. (Sorry to mention it so much, just its the most well-known example, and one I interact with when I play for fun).

The Podium Pass is something that you will interact with, but isn't vital to your gameplay experience.  Completing Level 30 doesn't give you any competitive advantage compared to someone who has just loaded the game but is a quicker driver. I've never completed a Fortnite Season, and I've rarely completed Seasons on FUT either, and that's the game I play most. The VIP pass will stay the same pricing-wise, as we've designed it with this in mind. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BarryBL said:

Yes. Whenever you redeem the VIP, you'll get the tiers you've already earned. Like in Fortnite. (Sorry to mention it so much, just its the most well-known example, and one I interact with when I play for fun).

The Podium Pass is something that you will interact with, but isn't vital to your gameplay experience.  Completing Level 30 doesn't give you any competitive advantage compared to someone who has just loaded the game but is a quicker driver. I've never completed a Fortnite Season, and I've rarely completed Seasons on FUT either, and that's the game I play most. The VIP pass will stay the same pricing-wise, as we've designed it with this in mind. 

@BarryBLis podium pass in next season going to have some help towards my team etc if you get what I mean 

1 minute ago, Gallearsc said:

@BarryBLis podium pass in next season going to have some help towards my team etc if you get what I mean 

I'm guessing you mean things like the 'Financial Takeover' perk you can buy in FIFA right?

If so, then honestly, probably not. We wouldn't like to add 'boosts' to other modes in the pass as we'd want the MyTeam challenge to be natural

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @BarryBL, I understand there's no competitive advantage in there, but that's not the issue or point. All I wanted to do, was start my own singleplayer myteam and customise it to my preferance from the get-go and not have to grind to unlock a few cosmetics.

The myteam thing was advertised as 'create your own team' meaning create a team in your own image, your own style, but that has seriously been hampered by the fact that there's next to no liveries, helmet designs etc at the start. The fact that there were plenty of helmet designs for singleplayer in previous games, shows that content has been deliberately held back to try and make more money out of those who want the items now, instead of grinding through. And that's my main issue, with-holding content in a fully priced game to try and monetize it.

If there was a full selection of designs from the start (as there has been in previous games) and you then decided to add a few more extra designs on top of that in the future and have people either pay or grind for them, then that wouldn't be as bad. (Because it's something extra added to the game)

Edited by MattkD37
Clarification
  • Agree 4

@MattkD37 those were my thoughts at first, but I'm exactly midway through my first season and I kinda like it better this way. Started with a rather nice livery and now I'm beefed up with a solid one – for my taste, anyway. It is good to take a look at my past liveries (as they are kept on the save) and see how my team evolved design wise.

Being able to customize your whole look at any moment has rendered this point moot for me. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, marioho said:

@MattkD37 those were my thoughts at first, but I'm exactly midway through my first season and I kinda like it better this way. Started with a rather nice livery and now I'm beefed up with a solid one – for my taste, anyway. It is good to take a look at my past liveries (as they are kept on the save) and see how my team evolved design wise.

Being able to customize your whole look at any moment has rendered this point moot for me. 

Yeah, I can understand the frustration at having minimal items to begin with, but I love the feeling of being rewarded by just playing the game. I now have a livery that I really like and it was from the free tier, not the VIP one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Can't blame Codies for going with the times, these micro transactions only exist in the first place because they are so popular. But you get games like GTA V and almost everything from EA where they almost force it on you to progress or get mown down. At least F1 2020 is done tastefully. Look at everything that is purchaseable, its only cosmetic extras. You don't need any of it to progress, nothing premium gives one an advantage over the other online at all. But if you want more custom stuff its there if you want it. I'm assuming it looks like it may have a setup for live additions too as there is a timer for current purchaseables so we may see more uniqueliveries, celebrations and outfits. But again, nothing is necessary to compete with. You can effectively ignore it and enjoy the game as it is. I respect Codies for doing this. As a business the more profit the safer jobs are and more future content stays at a top quality but without affecting the fans who purchased the game and can't afford extras. I don't judge players who want to throw loads of money at a game they love to enjoy it their way, long as it doesn't affect others experiences its fine. If you are concerned please take the time to check it all yourself. Extra purchases don't give competitive advantages here. If you still want to be angry at microtransactions then be angry at society and the games that really do exploit advantages.

Edited by Carystus
Spelling
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Carystus said:

If you still want to be angry at microtransactions then be angry at society and the games that really do exploit advantages.

Society is the problem. It's people who accept this that allow companies to do it as well as giving them more incentive to include more and take more liberties. Imagine if when MTX were introduced that nobody purchased any of them? They wouldn't be around. With games that are launched with bugs resulting from rushed timelines, incompetence, laziness or just incomplete because companies know people will still pre-order and buy at launch as long as they patch it later, imagine these games had no pre-orders and minimal purchasers at launch because the society are sick of buying unfinished products. Companies would soon actually make sure they are polished before release but that's not how it is.

People these days don't care enough that they're paying full whack or over the odds for an unfinished/unpolished product to not buy it or pre-order it. They moan after on the forums every year and guess what? They still pre-order the next version the following year just to have it as early as possible. There is no incentive for companies to actually make sure games are released as close to finished as possible because society accepts this.

I look at Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It got a hammering because people saw through the lies being fed during marketing and lack of everything about the game as well as launching a tirade of abuse at Ubisoft for MTX. It fell flat on its butt and rightly so. It forced Ubisoft to delay other games to make sure they are complete and their own identity - we'll see if it's actually worked. If people stop blindly accepting these exploitative models in this industry, change will happen but if you keep defending them and turning a blind eye, it will only get worse!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

@MattkD37 I don't understand why you keep insisting that you should unlock everything cosmetic at once. I don't see any topics of people complaining the facilities need to be upgraded by unlocking certain areas or that you can't unlock Hamilton as second driver from the start of My Team. Evolving your team is the same for liveries, helmets etc. They could have put liveries in the marketing department where they would unlock with fame and nobody would have complained about it because it wouldn't look like a battle pass or a loot box system. I'm sorry but I think that would have been boring. I don't get excited when my new upgrade to the car arrives. I get excited to see what I have unlocked with Podium pass and how long it will take for the next item to unlock.

Codemasters chose the correct way to unlock cosmetics. I prefer it this way than a cutscene where my marketing employee explains that I have unlocked a new livery for the tenth time.

I am playing the game and notice that I should have kept my mouth shut about the liveries because they are really good. I complained that there was no way to select matte finish in customization but the last livery I unlocked has a matte finish. The liveries are good and the system to unlock them is very good when you actually play the game.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Carystus said:

Can't blame Codies for going with the times, these micro transactions only exist in the first place because they are so popular. But you get games like GTA V and almost everything from EA where they almost force it on you to progress or get mown down. At least F1 2020 is done tastefully. Look at everything that is purchaseable, its only cosmetic extras. You don't need any of it to progress, nothing premium gives one an advantage over the other online at all. But if you want more custom stuff its there if you want it. I'm assuming it looks like it may have a setup for live additions too as there is a timer for current purchaseables so we may see more uniqueliveries, celebrations and outfits. But again, nothing is necessary to compete with. You can effectively ignore it and enjoy the game as it is. I respect Codies for doing this. As a business the more profit the safer jobs are and more future content stays at a top quality but without affecting the fans who purchased the game and can't afford extras. I don't judge players who want to throw loads of money at a game they love to enjoy it their way, long as it doesn't affect others experiences its fine. If you are concerned please take the time to check it all yourself. Extra purchases don't give competitive advantages here. If you still want to be angry at microtransactions then be angry at society and the games that really do exploit advantages.

GTA single-player mode had zero microtransactions if you wanted to get DLC cars available to you specifically in the original version before PS4 / Xbox one if you bought DLC you had all the cars you just bought in your garage ready to use. The in-game economy in GTA V's story mode provides you with ways to make ample amounts of money to purchase the necessary upgrades and ammo for your guns and also for the cursory items like clothing and vehicle upgrades for each character. You also can't punish people who don't want to play online by severely limiting single-player options by hiding them behind a paywall or an online grindwall to earn progressess. Even if the issue only pertains to cosmetics. 

Edited by hippoSURF

And whichever side of the "is it valid on principle to put microtransactions in a full priced game" debate you fall on, let's not forget that there still remains the topic of balance.

I think this conversation would be more fruitful, like tangibly fruitful, if people focused on how Codemasters could improve their grindwall/paywall system. The decision on veering into this business model was made and if this discussion has any takeaway the most basic one would be that there will be people ok with it as long as reasonable and there will be people against it no matter what. But how to make it more fair and enjoyable is something we could all chime in with our takes and this is a type of feedback that CM could immediately put to use if need be. 

4 minutes ago, marioho said:

And whichever side of the "is it valid on principle to put microtransactions in a full priced game" debate you fall on, let's not forget that there still remains the topic of balance.

I think this conversation would be more fruitful, like tangibly fruitful, if people focused on how Codemasters could improve their grindwall/paywall system. The decision on veering into this business model was made and if this discussion has any takeaway the most basic one would be that there will be people ok with it as long as reasonable and there will be people against it no matter what. But how to make it more fair and enjoyable is something we could all chime in with our takes and this is a type of feedback that CM could immediately put to use if need be. 

Exactly, the only thing I can't really defend with Podium Pass is that you need a pre-order to have a free VIP pass. I'm not sure if it works like I think it works but if I buy the game today there is no way to grind yourself to a free VIP pass. You need a VIP pass to receive pitcoins or do you earn 10.000 pitons at level 30 no matter what pass you are on?

• Agree 1

like for me i've been trying hard to do the series challenge to get the chromed livery with the challenges it has made me try out stuff in the game that i haven't ever tried before i took no interest in weekly events but there is a whole set of challenges to do to get this livery and now i really enjoy these weekly events. once i hopefully get these challenges done i will feel a sense of accomplishment and will be able to display that whenever i play online.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Nightfire1964 said:

like for me i've been trying hard to do the series challenge to get the chromed livery with the challenges it has made me try out stuff in the game that i haven't ever tried before i took no interest in weekly events but there is a whole set of challenges to do to get this livery and now i really enjoy these weekly events. once i hopefully get these challenges done i will feel a sense of accomplishment and will be able to display that whenever i play online.

Exactly what I noticed. You start doing the things that in previous versions you always would postpone to do and never did eventually. 

• Disagree 1

yeah i never touched championships or weekly events ever in f1 2019 but now because of these challenges and the big benefits that come with the xp for podium pass and a special livery to me is quite nice and rewarding but that's my view on it i can see why some like and why some might not it's like with everything i might like a game you might not like all that's important to me is you have fun playing the game.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

You really should be able to earn pit coins in normal game modes beyond grinding out to tier 30.  At the moment its all designed to make people shell out for the coins.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nightfire1964 said:

yeah i never touched championships or weekly events ever in f1 2019 but now because of these challenges and the big benefits that come with the xp for podium pass and a special livery to me is quite nice and rewarding but that's my view on it i can see why some like and why some might not it's like with everything i might like a game you might not like all that's important to me is you have fun playing the game.

The fact that it seems like they want to FORCE people to play modes/online that they may have no interest in just to "unlock" some cursory customization items or else they are going to need to part with excess REAL MONEY for them is the problem with MTX and Grindwalls is a problem. The more people plug money/time into acquiring the content that is behind the pay/grind walls just encourages the developers/publishers to put MORE behind them for the next release in the series. Right now it's only cosmetic items like helmets, liveries, and race suits but NEXT YEAR it will be more than customization items and the next year it will be more until it reaches a point where it's like NBA 2K where even the smallest progression in the game is hidden behind a pay/grind wall. It shouldn't cost money or take dozens of hours to make a minor increase in your 3pt shooting range in a Video Game. I'm willing to bet that there are more people playing this game that don't want to slog through it and it alone for 12 months in order to achieve very little in the way of upward momentum sadly though this is the direction we are heading in.

Edited by hippoSURF
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

What is MTX?

I suppose in internet slang it stands for "microtransactions"?