F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Seriously Codemasters?? Nonsense Micro-transactions and in-game currency in a fully priced game!

@1henryw if you take another look at it, you'll probably see that we are on the same page, mate! Haha that is cool in a way.

I mean, if I felt like I had to play through 2 or 3 seasons to get where I intended to be from the start, that will be a complete bummer! But as I said, fortunately that's not how it's been for me. Just checked and I am on Podium Pass lv 14 and it's been barely over a week with the game out. Regarding my liveries, I need to get better pics but I was totally satisfied with my starting one (first two pics) and I'm going back and forth between two other versions. The last pic is from my livery #4 and sometimes I find #3 (not in the album) even better. And I'm on race 8/16 of my first season!

Simultaneously, I am enjoying the game regardless of the grindwall and because of the soft grindwall. Granted, what I'm calling "soft" may be the farthest thing from the truth for the next guy as his desired liveries may be far from being unlocked or even included in the season rotation, but I'm enjoying this the experience greatly. 

As long as I don't need to pay for R&D and/or another season in career mode, I'm fine with it 😄

The bottom line for me is that real money purchases that affected performance would ruin the game but purely cosmetic options do not.

My main negative thought in the context of the current game is that it wasn't clear before launch that all My Team customisation options wouldn't be available from the start. If people had been forewarned I think there would have been less of a negative response, and to some extent the fact that different liveries, clothes etc are 'earned' by game progression could actually be viewed as a good thing by virtue of giving an additional thing to aim for and getting satisfaction when this has been achieved.

I pre-ordered the physical PS4 game and in the box was a code that gave 10,000 pitcoins, allowing the VIP section to be unlocked. Will people buying the game from now on still get this? If not then there is an issue that it will be much harder to accrue XP without the VIP Challenges.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

My main negative thought in the context of the current game is that it wasn't clear before launch that all My Team customisation options wouldn't be available from the start. If people had been forewarned I think there would have been less of a negative response

I think for me this is very true, but not entirely true. The lack of a livery I really like, instead of one that is OK in my team bothers me when 2019 had really nice ones for free. So far the fancy ones I have seen either in Podium Pass or in the store do not appeal to me anyway, so I so far have not felt tempted. Two badges so far were possibilities, but I still don’t have my pitcoins so....

56 minutes ago, Aef251 said:

but I still don’t have my pitcoins so....

Good point. The pitcoin problem adds to the issue. I got my pitcoins OK using the code in the box with my PS4 game so I forgot others are still waiting.

There is absolutely NO justification for this, whatever your maths whatever your reasoning.  So it's a Gameplay enhancement then ? If that is the case, the gameplay must be so stunning so gripping in nature. But what's this ? An option to spend more money ? On this stunning can't stop playing gameplay. Get real, your money shilling. Games are expensive to make. Well plenty of other developers make them with having to resort to this.  Dirt 2.0 was pushing it, but I could semi agree and did indeed buy all the cars and tracks.  But after the complete slating real F1 drivers gave this series to then add this instead of fixing things. Good luck.

• Disagree 1

39 minutes ago, Ry889 said:

But after the complete slating real F1 drivers gave this series to then add this instead of fixing things.

This last comment is a tad silly since some changes in F1 2020 have specifically been made in response to feedback from F1 drivers. 

And this is why, perfect examples.  Firstly, fine your entitled to your opinion and deserving of the game as it is.  Has the lockdown ending in a cave ? Hahaha. The changes made have been in the advice of F1 drivers. Really ? Can you honestly say that the game is dramatically different from the previous revision ?  Do we have telemetry to assess a lap fully now ? Or any other list of game changing features. Or do with have an ingame currency where you can exchange more of your Real World money for the ability to change colours of helmets and car paint schemes ? If you personally feel this justify paying for, your lockdown ended oxygen starved.

1 minute ago, Ry889 said:

Can you honestly say that the game is dramatically different from the previous revision ?

Yes, with the new ERS system being the most obvious change driven by F1 driver feedback. The increased traction is another, following comments that medium TC on F1 2019 being closer to reality than TC off was. Have you actually played F1 2020?

Discussion about the pitcoin aspect is a completely different subject by the way.

And to give my opinion; I realy don’t care honestly. Nobody forces me to by anything. It’s a common marketing thing, which you see everywhere, in full priced games, half price games and especially the “free” games. Give it a rest guys, it’s here to stay. 

8 hours ago, Ry889 said:

There is absolutely NO justification for this, whatever your maths whatever your reasoning.  So it's a Gameplay enhancement then ? If that is the case, the gameplay must be so stunning so gripping in nature. But what's this ? An option to spend more money ? On this stunning can't stop playing gameplay. Get real, your money shilling. Games are expensive to make. Well plenty of other developers make them with having to resort to this.  Dirt 2.0 was pushing it, but I could semi agree and did indeed buy all the cars and tracks.  But after the complete slating real F1 drivers gave this series to then add this instead of fixing things. Good luck.

You do realise that dlc and microtransactions for cosmetic items only are not the same thing?

Comparing car and stage dlc from dirt rally 2 to paint jobs in f1 2020 is like comparing an apple to a turnip.

I dont personally intend to spend money on paint jobs, i think an ingame paint booth similar to forza's would be a better approach. But i have no issues with codemasters going the cosmetic microtransaction route. Its just not an important thing to focus on.

• Agree 2

This is a 6 pages long discussion and @Ry889 came in hit with not a care about what was previously said. Not surprisingly, his post contains a grand total of zero new takes or arguments all the while dragging misconceptions about the business model and the differences between F1 2020 and F1 2019.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is, this is a poor attempt at a rant and the user has no interest at all in debating the topic. If he had any, he'd have read the thread and inevitably find plenty of posts with direct counterpoints to contend with.