F1 2020 | PITCOINS NOW ASSIGNED - ONLINE SERVICES BACK ONLINE| READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Seriously Codemasters?? Nonsense Micro-transactions and in-game currency in a fully priced game!

Looks like Codies have finally gone down the devil's path and decided to go all EA on us. What absolute nonsense it is to have a game mode where customisation etc is one of the key aspects, but then give hardly any customisable options and lock the rest behind a paywall. 6 mediocre helmets, and hardly any car liveries and overalls, because you have to pay for the rest, despite already paying around £50 for the game in the first place. Don't bother telling me "you can unlock a lot of it through gameplay" because firstly: you can't unlock ALL the items and secondly: it's just a terrible excuse for CM's to deliberately not include content in the game, so they can add it in at a later date and charge you for it. C'mon Codemasters, do the right thing, surely you know these in-game transactions are just really scummy game practices.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Disagree 5

Its entirely optional. Everything can be earned in game through just playing it.

Paying for it is a viable option for people who just want everything straight away. Not being forced on you at all.

• Agree 9
  • Disagree 10

Not everything is behind a paywall. You unlock items by playing the game. To be fair if you did preorder the game than almost nothing is behind a paywall. If you did preorder you got enough Pitcoins to unlock the VIP Pass which will let you unlock everything and most importantly let's you win enough pitcoins to buy a new VIP Pass.

• Agree 4

I know not everything is behind a paywall, but the problem is, they've deliberately with-held content in a FULLY PRICED GAME to charge people for with micro-transactions. What would've been the harm in just having all these customisable options for free and available at the start of the game?? Y'know, so when I start the brand new and highly advertised MyTeam, I can actually customise the car etc to how I like.

• Agree 11

But they haven't done it to charge people. You can just not buy them and earn them in game instead. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 8

22 minutes ago, MattkD37 said:

I know not everything is behind a paywall, but the problem is, they've deliberately with-held content in a FULLY PRICED GAME to charge people for with micro-transactions. What would've been the harm in just having all these customisable options for free and available at the start of the game?? Y'know, so when I start the brand new and highly advertised MyTeam, I can actually customise the car etc to how I like.

Out of curiosity, what microtransactions model would you deem fair?

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, MattkD37 said:

Most video games don't give you everything at the start. You will most of the time need to unlock items or powers or whatever stuff you need to evolve in  the game you are playing. It's what stops games from becoming old very soon.

One of the best examples why not to unlock everything from the start is Project Cars. It probably has the worst career mode in a race game I ever owned, I never bought another Project Cars game again because of that.

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 4

Sadly, I think micro transactions are here to stay in any AAA games, purely because of the cost to develop them, plus any license fees. The cost of games have barely gone up in price since the PS1 days compared to other entertainment media. I remember new games were RRP at £39.99, now £54.99, given inflation that is a minor increase. There are plenty of articles on this, but this one gives a good breakdown https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/cost-of-gaming-since-1970s

So taking the above in considering, like it or not, studios/publishers option to pay the higher dev costs (obviously while still trying to make a profit, after all they're still a business) is to sell more content via micro transactions. The fact that Codies have done this on purely cosmetic items, while still giving you the ability to earn these via normal gameplay, is a big plus in my book.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

If anything I was pleasantly surprised that everything is unlockable through challenges and earning XP, there isn't a single item that you can't obtain without paying as far as I'm aware.

The VIP pass to unlock rare/premium items can be 'purchased" with Pitcoins, which are also earnable by simply playing the game. If you pre-ordered you got enough coins for the season 1 pass, and then you should be able to earn enough if you level up to unlock future seasons as well.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 4

6 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

If anything I was pleasantly surprised that everything is unlockable through challenges and earning XP, there isn't a single item that you can't obtain without paying as far as I'm aware.

So I guess you haven't noticed the Item Shop yet 😂

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tay said:

So I guess you haven't noticed the Item Shop yet 😂

But you can earn pitcoins by just playing the game, so what he has said is correct.

17 minutes ago, marioho said:

Out of curiosity, what microtransactions model would you deem fair?

In a fully priced game, I'd say any mtx model is unfair. If they release a full game, then decide to add expansions etc that are actually a continuation of the game and not just content that was deliberately witheld, then fair enough. If it's a free-to-play game, then yeah, I MTX's are fine by me.

18 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Most video games don't give you everything at the start. You will most of the time need to unlock items or powers or whatever stuff you need to evolve in  the game you are playing. It's what stops games from becoming old very soon.

One of the best examples why not to unlock everything from the start is Project Cars. It probably has the worst career mode in a race game I ever owned, I never bought another Project Cars game again because of that.

We've had helmets and other cosmetics available and free in almost all other F1 games from the start! Having the ability of designing a race helmet, gloves, car to the way I want it, from the start, hardly takes anything away from the game in the long term.

9 minutes ago, CarloLewis said:

Sadly, I think micro transactions are here to stay in any AAA games, purely because of the cost to develop them, plus any license fees. The cost of games have barely gone up in price since the PS1 days compared to other entertainment media. I remember new games were RRP at £39.99, now £54.99, given inflation that is a minor increase. There are plenty of articles on this, but this one gives a good breakdown https://techraptor.net/gaming/features/cost-of-gaming-since-1970s

So taking the above in considering, like it or not, studios/publishers option to pay the higher dev costs (obviously while still trying to make a profit, after all they're still a business) is to sell more content via micro transactions. The fact that Codies have done this on purely cosmetic items, while still giving you the ability to earn these via normal gameplay, is a big plus in my book.

I personally would rather pay slightly more for a video game at the retailer and have the game outright, rather than the devs deliberately holding back content, so they can try and charge you for it later.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CarloLewis said:

But you can earn pitcoins by just playing the game, so what he has said is correct.

You can earn 10,000 total with the VIP pass. 2,500 without. Emotes and cars alone are over 2,000 to buy. There is no way you could unlock 'everything' without paying. 

I don't really care though, most of the shop items don't appeal to me at all

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, magpieracer48 said:

Its entirely optional. Everything can be earned in game through just playing it.

Paying for it is a viable option for people who just want everything straight away. Not being forced on you at all.

Except after every session the giant podium pass progress screen is in your face showing you what your next unlock is etc

Not to mention most of the issue with this years game are related to the online communication issues relating to podium pass

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 2

All I wanted was a nice helmet design and a decent car livery to start myteam, without having to mess around with podium passes, pitcoin or whatever cheesy nonsense name they've given it.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tay said:

You can earn 10,000 total with the VIP pass. 2,500 without. Emotes and cars alone are over 2,000 to buy. There is no way you could unlock 'everything' without paying. 

I don't really care though, most of the shop items don't appeal to me at all

You eventually unlock the items by leveling up XP, you don't need to spend Pitcoins on them at all. You can, but that's entirely optional to unlock them sooner. If you level up, you'll unlock all that stuff and can spend the Pitcoins on the next season pass to unlock everything else. It's a good and fair system.

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Just now, TomAAA said:

Except after every session the giant podium pass progress screen is in your face showing you what your next unlock is etc

Which is why I'm petitioning the city officials to close down the Apple store down the street. Every time I pass by there are overpriced products on display urging me to dish out money I don't have!

On a serious note, as long as the extra revenue is put to good use helping CM expand the franchise with new features I'm ok with it. If you are against MTX on principle alone, then there is not much we could go. Raising the stock price won't do because it raises the entry cost, lowering sales on the large scale. With mtx if done right it is only entirely optional content being paywalled.

Even better if you can grind for said content.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

still not receive my pitcoins from schumi edition pre order 😄 I guess i´m done with the game before i will ever receive them

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’d be fine with it if the rest of the game were up to scratch 🙄

Usually in free to play games I would expect cosmetic items behind a paywall that’s normal but when fully priced games do it irregardless of the cost of development it’s rather annoying especially when your told that if you preordered the game that you will have enough pitcoins to unlock the VIP pass and yet hundreds of people still haven’t received the pre order bonus of premium currency across multiple platforms and I haven’t seen any communication from codies since Thursday 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Talon01 said:

Usually in free to play games I would expect cosmetic items behind a paywall that’s normal but when fully priced games do it irregardless of the cost of development it’s rather annoying especially when your told that if you preordered the game that you will have enough pitcoins to unlock the VIP pass and yet hundreds of people still haven’t received the pre order bonus of premium currency across multiple platforms and I haven’t seen any communication from codies since Thursday 

I get it, but why "irregardless of the cost of development?" 

Are you referring to the cost of creating the purely cosmetic assets? Yes, I agree that it must be rather cheap, all things considered. However if you mean the cost of developing the game as a whole... Neither of us can claim to be in the know of said costs, but if I were to guess I'd say they're on the rise with (1) the addition of new features like a whole new mode and revamping of old ones like drivers market, (2) a new console generation on the horizon and (3) the ever crescent cost of game development. Wouldn't an extra revenue influx that has absolutely no impact on gameplay and offers content that can be unlocked just by playing the game offline have the potential of being put to good use in this scenario?

I am relatively new to the franchise, but I'm not aware of a recent leap in features and content comparable to that we got from F1 2019 > F1 2020.

And come on, is there any reason to believe that the availability of the pre-order bonus on a small segment of the player base won't be resolved in the near future? 

7 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

But they haven't done it to charge people. You can just not buy them and earn them in game instead. 

So you saying that they added microtransactions and store that screams "BUY MORE COINZZZZ" but that they "haven't done it to charge people"? How childishly naive are you? 🙄

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 5

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Leo Natan said:

So you saying that they added microtransactions and store that screams "BUY MORE COINZZZZ" but that they "haven't done it to charge people"? How childishly naive are you? 🙄

Its optional. It's not there to force you buy stuff. If people choose to do it thats on them.

No need to be such a jack*** about it.

Edited by magpieracer48
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 9